Skip to Content

How far north of Nossob?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Elephantears

How far north of Nossob?

Unread post by Elephantears » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:07 pm

When staying in KK how far north of Nossob can you go before turning around and come back to the camp on an all day drive in a high ground clearance non 4x4 vehicle please? I am aware it takes about 3 to 4 hrs to Nossob and part of the road north of Nossob is only 4x4. Also the distances you travel on each day/ drive is different according to what animals one may encounter on a particular trip.

hollydog

Re: How far north of Nossob?

Unread post by hollydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:30 pm

The main road north of Nossob does not have any 4WD exclusive sections. You can drive with a regular vehicle all the way to Union's End. Do make sure you get a high clearance vehicle as you suggest if not a 4x4, simply because some of the banks along the road are graded higher, and viewing will be better. I agree, it depends what you see along the way, but also when you visit as the gate times vary according to season/month. If you spend between 7 and 8 hours getting to Nossob and back, you will probably only want to go a couple hours north before turning around. We have used Grootkolk as our last camp before exiting the park via TR, and it is a long drive back, mainly because of what we stop to see! I assume you have seen the map with driving distances/time on this website? KK is a great camp, you will love the park!

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Unread post by Caracal » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

There is a horrible sandy patch in the road just north of Kousant ( we were in the park from 16-23 July)
I doubt whether a regular vehicle would make it through ...maybe you should check with the park as to whether they have repaired this sand pit yet.

hollydog

Unread post by hollydog » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Interesting Caracal, we were in the park in Jan 2014, and again Jan of this year, and never experienced anything like that. We did rent a 4x4, but with lowering the tire pressure, we only engaged the 4 wheel drive driving through some of the flooded sections of road after the torrential rains, but not sure we needed to. I know I have read posts on this forum expressing how cars of all shapes and descriptions have ended up stuck once place or another, but we have never seen it. The first trip we did Bitterpan, and being a non experienced sand driver I was dreading the drive, and we had no issues. Again even at Gharagab this year, we met people who had big trouble getting out, but all our fears were unfounded. In any event, KTP is still our favourite, and we will be back again.

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:55 pm

HI hollydog. :)
We frequent the park a lot :) and this is the first time we have ever seen this ..we have no issue with the roads as we drive a G-Wagon 4 x4 . But this was out of the norm ...one small short little lethal sand pit. It is obviously a mud puddle that has dried up into a serious sand pit. And this is why I never recommend the KTP roads to a "normal car" . It can all be fine and perfect until the heavens open and the roads can take on new look.. a serious new look. And when the puddle dries up a serious sand pit can follow. That is why Sanparks state the following on their website.....Kindly note that the roads in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park are not sedan friendly, although the roads are maintained on a monthly basis, sedan vehicles find it difficult to cope with the conditions. Vehicles which will be using any of the 4x4 routes in the park must note that the recommended ground clearance should be 190mm, to make the drive more enjoyable
So yes the roads can mostly be sedan friendly but it only takes one serious thunderstorm to change that...and I think it only fair to advise folk about that.
The road north of Nossob may not have 4WD exclusive sections....but the extreme weather conditions can change that in a second. Just my five cents worth. :)

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:13 pm

This is the sand pit I'm talking about..photo taken through windscreen of vehicle coming through...thick deep sand ... :shock:

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Elephantears wrote:When staying in KK how far north of Nossob can you go before turning around and come back to the camp on an all day drive in a high ground clearance non 4x4 vehicle please? I am aware it takes about 3 to 4 hrs to Nossob and part of the road north of Nossob is only 4x4. Also the distances you travel on each day/ drive is different according to what animals one may encounter on a particular trip.

If I look at your post, you have two questions that needs an answer.

Question no. 1 is whether you can drive with a high clearance non 4x4 North of Nossob?

The answer is yes, except under circumstances as Caracal explained :thumbs_up: .

Question no. 2 is how far North of Nossob will you be able to drive before you have to turn around to reach KK before gate closing time?

To answer your question I think we should look at the time available from gate opening to gate closing during the year, which are as follows:

Jan + Feb = 13.5 hours available
March = 12.5 hours available
April = 11.5 hours available
May = 11 hours available
June + July = 10.5 hours available
Aug = 11.5 hours available
Sept = 12 hours available
Oct = 13 hours available; and
Nov + Dec = 14 hours available.

The second question that should be answered is at what speeds do you normally drive to enjoy the scenery and sights when you visit a park :hmz: . I don't even drive at 50 kph on the tar roads of Kruger :thumbs_up: .

The roads in KTP are all gravel and mostly corrugated which does not allow for driving at 50 kph all the time and what do you actually see at this speed :hmz: .

To give you an indication of the distances from KK to points along the route to Nossob, I have calculated the following as example:

KK to Dikbaardskolk picnic site = 109 km
Dikbaardskolk picnic site to Nossob = 52 km
Nossob to Kwang = 23
KK to Nossob = 161 km
KK to Kwang = 184 km

If you now convert these distances into a return drive out and back to KK it will be as follows:

KK to Dikbaarskolk and back = 218 km
KK to Nossob and back = 322 km
KK to Kwang and back = 368 km

If we have a look at the hours available and take the average time available it is approximately 11 hours. We can therefore drive the following distances in a day without stopping anywhere en-route:

@ 30 kph = 330 km
@ 40 kph = 440 km
@ 50 kph = 550 km

If we take all of the above information into account, it is my honest opinion that I will not drive further North than Nossob and back in a day :thumbs_up: .

What should be a nice drive is from KK to Dikbaardskolk and then along the upper dune road to Kamqua then onto Auchterlonie and back to camp which will be a 198 km drive for the day with lots of time for sightings and stops along the way.

Just my 2 cents worth :D .
Always be humble and understanding.
KNP 5-12 September 2017
KTP 21-28 Nov 2017

Elephantears

Unread post by Elephantears » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:56 am

Dear hollydog, caracal and barryels,
Thank you so much for all of your very detailed and comprehensive replies! I really appreciate it.
During my stay in the park I will have 12hrs and a non 4x4 high clearance vehicle at my disposal but taking your inputs I am going to go as far as Nossob and check with the rangers the conditions of the road north. Also check the sighting board for any cats seen nearby especially cheetahs! Then I will factor in both road conditions and time constraints that barryels has kindly provided, to make a decision.
I will definitely take barryels advised route although in reverse on the day when I leave Urikaruus.
Caracal, is that Prado driving at high speed or stuck in sand??
Thanks again for your valuable input.
Very best regards.

Thunderbird7

Unread post by Thunderbird7 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:48 pm

I would just add that the roads further north are actually sand and not gravel i.e., like a beach!! We had a 2WD Fortuner last couple of weeks that never struggled and saw several cars - as long as you keep them moving in the odd soft bit its fine. The dune roads are actually gravel, despite their name! None of it challenging but I could imagine a car possibly struggling after rain. Fabulous place but please don't tell anybody else!!!

Doh! Just saw the pic above after I posted - slow internet - says it all :)

Return to “Arid Parks”