Skip to Content

Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Sunbeam

Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Unread post by Sunbeam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope I haven't missed this question searching the forum, if so, my apologies.

We are planning a trip from Fish River Canyon in Namibia through Richtersveld NP to Naukluft. I am using this map as a reference: https://www.sanparks.org/images/parks/r ... s/map2.jpg

Do you know if coming from Fish River Canyon in Namibia it is possible to enter Richtersveld NP at the east side (Norothsarma River Resort, Aussenkehr, Grasdrift?), stay 1-2 days in the park and leave the park in Sendelingsdrift? Or does one always have to enter in Sendelingsdrift to obtain a permit? Is it possible to obtain the permit somewhere else?

If Sendelingsdrift is the only possible entrance, which route would you recommend (coming from Fish River Canyon)? To use the road that follows the river at the border (around 3 hours I think)? Or would you recommend one of the routes mentioned on the official website and which I have pasted below? I guess we are looking for the shortest route with the best views :-). Perhaps someone could provide some approximate travel times for the different routes? We would be driving a 4x4.

" 1) The quickest way to get to the Park from N7 (RSA) and B1 (Namibia) is to turn off at Steinkopf and approach via Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay with only the last 80km being on dirt.
2) For those wishing to vary their route and get a broader picture of the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld the road from Vioolsdrift, via Kotzehoop, through spectacular scenery to Eksteenfontein and then on to Sendelingsdrift is one well worth traveling.
3) The scenic route via Kuboes, Lekkersing and Eksteenfontein provides an additional dimension of what the region has to offer.
4) Another spectacular route, recommended for 4x4 vehicles only, is over the mountain pass via Helskloof Reserve between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrift."

Many thanks!
Sunbeam

DinkyBird

Re: Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Sunbeam - will try and find out for you, certainly on the permit part.
- Dalene

Sunbeam

Unread post by Sunbeam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm

That would be fantastic, thanks a lot DinkyBird! I've emailed the park directly but haven't got a response and we do need to book the campgrounds soon ...

NadiaL
Guru
Guru

Unread post by NadiaL » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi Sunbeam,

The Park Manager, Brent Whittington, provided answers to your questions. (marked in green) :) Enjoy your stay in the park.

Do you know if coming from Fish River Canyon in Namibia it is possible to enter Richtersveld NP at the east side (Norothsarma River Resort, Aussenkehr, Grasdrift?), stay 1-2 days in the park and leave the park in Sendelingsdrift? Or does one always have to enter in Sendelingsdrift to obtain a permit? Is it possible to obtain the permit somewhere else? The only entrance to the Park is either through Hellskloof gate situated on the Western side of the Park (From Port Nolloth / Alexanderbay) or at Sendelingsdrift pontoon situated at Sendelingsdrift. There is no other way to cross the orange river into South Africa other than Oranjemund or Vioolsdrift being the closest border posts to the Park.

If Sendelingsdrift is the only possible entrance, which route would you recommend (coming from Fish River Canyon)? To use the road that follows the river at the border (around 3 hours I think)? Yes this is the recommended route should the pontoon be operational. Or would you recommend one of the routes mentioned on the official website and which I have pasted below? I guess we are looking for the shortest route with the best views :-). Perhaps someone could provide some approximate travel times for the different routes? We would be driving a 4x4. All doable but all take their toll on ones vehicle due to the condition of the roads not guaranteed.

Regards,
Nadia Lemmetuis

Sunbeam

Unread post by Sunbeam » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks a million, Nadia! Is there any information on the duration of the different routes?

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Sunbeam wrote:Thanks a million, Nadia! Is there any information on the duration of the different routes?

From Ai-Ais it will take you about 3 hours to Sendelingsdrift and less time from Aussenkehr. The time from the Fish River confluence with Orange to Sendelings drift is 1,5 hours including border crossing formalities.

It took us 6 hours to reach the Fish River canyon lookout point from Sendelingsdrift with a 1 - 1.5 hour stop at Ai-Ais for lunch and a swim according to photos taken. Driving time I guess was 4.5 hours to lookout point. This route is along the D324 -D316 -C37 to the Orange river and turn right (C13) along the Orange to Sendelingsdrift.

Remember to arrive at the border post early as the pont only operates between 8:00 - 16:00 (RSA time).

If this road is not passible due to flooding it will be best to drive tar road from Noordoewer to Port Nolloth and then north to Alexander bay to Sendelingsdrift. It a long route of 4,5 hours, but at least a safe one. When you stay at Aussenkehr they will be able to tell you the road status.
Next trip: Kgalagadi in July 2017

Last trip: Tsitsikamma NP, Addo Elephant NP and Mountain Zebra NP

Sunbeam

Unread post by Sunbeam » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Thank you, Son Godin, this information helps a lot!

All the best
Sunbeam

Return to “Arid Parks”