Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: trailers, caravans & motorhomes

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Caravan In KTP

Unread postby Dotty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 am

Hi RichardS There are a couple of posts here and here but I am sure someone who has travelled with a caravan recently will give you more info
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

RichardS

Unread postby RichardS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Fantastic Dotty... Thanks...

Looks like I'll be lucky to have any interior glass left and the caravan will probably take a massive pounding in the KTP roads.....

I guess this leads me down the off-road trailer rental route.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
"The real adventure begins in earnest when things go a little wrong....." - Bear Grylls
16/12 Mokala NP
17/12 - 21/12 Karoo NP
30/12 - 02/01 Bontebok NP
02/01 - 07/01 Mountain Zebra NP
07/01 - 10/01 Mokala NP

Dreamer
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dreamer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 am

Hi RichardS
I don't have the time to find any of the many posts I have responded to re taking a normal caravan to KTP. They are probably in one of the threads Dotty has suggested.
So, right now, short and sweet...FORGET about even thinking of taking a normal caravan!!
Enjoy your trip.
At home...... dreaming of next trip to KTP

sim

Venter trailer in KTP

Unread postby sim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

I am going to KTP in April and have been told by a number of people that taking a trailer is not a good idea. We are camping at Mata-Mata and Nossob and spending 1 night at Grootkolk (pity but the park is FULL). Please can someone advise me about the state of the roads and whether I can take an ordinary trailer. Thanks.

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Venter trailer in KTP

Unread postby Jo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Sim

I have seen Venter trailers in KTP - but I don't think its too easy, the roads are just too corrugated! Maybe for the well-being of your trailer you should consider leaving it at home!

Joubie

Re: Venter trailer in KTP

Unread postby Joubie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Sim
We have used our venter trailer on both our camping trips to KTP. We stayed at Nossob and Mata Mata. Family also use their venter trailer when they visit KTP. We have had no problems and the roads were in a shocking state but we drove at snails pace when we towed the trailer from camp to camp and we also made sure our trailer tyres were deflated.

Ricker

Motorhomes in Kgalagadi

Unread postby Ricker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Is the road from TR to Nossub suitable for my Iveco motorhome?
I see we may have to divert via Auchterlonie as the main road is closed.
Do motorhomes use this route?
We will be there in August but can leave the Iveco in Upington.
Thanks

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Motorhomes in Kgalagadi

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum Ricker.

The road is often corrugated so everything gets shaken up.
There is also a bit of loose sand in places.
You should be able to manage if you let the tyres down to 1.4 bars or so, but the advice to caravanners it to camp at Twee Rivieren, but a motorhome could well be different.

Has anyone else tried it?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Blackie

Unread postby Blackie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:27 pm

The Iveco itself is not the problem as you do not need a 4x4 in Kgalagadi. The problem is that the construction of a motorhome is pretty much similar to a standard road caravan and I am of the opinion (although I have no experience) that with all the shaking etc on the corrugated roads, something will give and could cause major and costly repairs. But this is just my opinion.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Ricker

Unread postby Ricker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks to BB and Blackie for your responses.
The Iveco is a sturdy vehicle built on a bus/truck C channel chassis, and thus a lot stronger than a normal caravan. Lowering tyre pressures will definitely assist.
With a motorhome you can at least hear inside the van if there is a problem!
The long rear overhang is the main problem with grounding if there are ridges and dips across the road. This should not be a problem though if the roads are graded reasonably.
We had little problem with corrugations in KNP, even with the tyres at 3.8 bar!
Are they worse than KNP?
Has anyone seen motorhomes in Kgalagadi?
Thanks Ricker

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:45 pm

You shouldn't hve a problem with an overhang because there are no up and down dry rivers to cross, like in Kruger. There are one or two places where you go up onto the ridge and back down but that won't pose a problem.

Still, you might be lucky with road grading, but corrugations will be your major problem.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

icurrie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby icurrie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi R - we saw a motorhome on our last trip although it was a rather large 4x4 type with lots of ground clearance. They did not appear to have much trouble with the roads but they were equiped for all sorts of problems as it appeared as if they were doing a Cape to Cairo type tour.
Issy

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

CliveK

Unread postby CliveK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Ricker.

We visited Kgalagadi in August and October last year. The Aug trip in our Travel star Motor home and the Oct trip in our Mitsubishi bakkie. We experienced no problems with the motor home in August, confining our stay between Twee Rivieren and Mata Mata. Following the sound advice from other forum members at the time, we lowered the tyre pressures to the recommended 1.6 bars and kept our maximum speed below 30 kms/hr. It was a wonderful trip and nothing came apart or got broken. During this trip, we saw two other motor homes (one an Iveco) and many small sedan cars who seemed be managing the roads OK.

During our October trip in the bakkie, we traversed the whole park including Nossob where we saw three motor homes (one Iveco) that again seemed to be managing the road conditions. However, I can clearly state that the bakkie was more suited to the road conditions and those wilderness camps added to the enchantment of the experience.

As has been stated previously, the roads are very corrugated and in places sandy. They are truthfully not vehicle friendly at all and even in a bakkie, they are very trying.
You would definitely be able to make the trip (even to Nossob) in your motor home providing you lower the tyre pressures as advised and keep your speed below 30 kms/hr. The magic of the Kgalagadi and the joy of your motor home will long outlast the shuddering experience of the roads.

I would advice that if possible, you do not stay longer than necessary at Twee Rivieren as traversing the first 18kms to and from the nearest productive waterhole each day, produces very little.

Finally, as previously advised, do not underestimate the road conditions in the Kgalagadi. They will be worse than you anticipate.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of man's life, the hours spent with nature.

Kieliekrankie 20-23 May 2015
KalahariTented Camp 23-26 May 2015
Twee Rivieren 26-28 May 2015

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Kgalagadi Guru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 am

Morning all,

Regarding the question if a person can bring a motor home into KTP. I have seen a few in the park and as said I haven’t encountered anyone with a problem, it does however depend on the state of the roads by then and if it would be very corrugated. I would suggest that you just make sure everything inside is tied down and will not shake around while driving.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Sharkalaka

4X4 trailers between Nossob and Mabuasheube?

Unread postby Sharkalaka » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am

I would like to know if it is totally dis-allowed to take a 4X4 trailer on this route? I have driven this route before and want to go on 21 trip via Mabuasheube but I heard that trailers will not be allowed. If so it will put my whole trip in jeopardy as I really would like to take my trailer with. From previous experience I am 100% sure it will be fine if the wheels are deflated enough, especially of the vehicle it self. The vehicle is a short-wheel base and I am sure it will be fine over the dunes. I can not find any rules on the Sanparks website or the Botswana env and wildlife website to say it is totally dis-allowed. We will be 3 vehicles in the party.
SH[color=#FF0000]ARKALAKA[/color]

Return to “Arid Parks”