Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: wilderness camps - General

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Pikasso
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mabuasehube

Unread postby Pikasso » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

In fact it depends if you saty many days on the same spot, or if you change nearly everyday, no?
Why is a ground tent not an option ?
Gone... Our pics here: http://www.wildlions.eu

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batsman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

We always use ground tents in unfenced spots. Easier to go on a game drive, easier to find a shady place, not as shaky to sleep in.

darraaz

Unread postby darraaz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank You Pikka, Afri Explore and Batsman!!

I think I am even more confused, as all are options : but I am not sure feeling closer to lions is equivalent to counting sheep, when trying to sleep? :

More detail on our iternary: 4 People (2 Avid photographers who need to be out early)

4 Nights Nossob Camp (only site available was without electricity)
3 nights khiding Pan Mabuasehube

still need to sought out accommodation for twee reivieren when we enter, total length of stay is 10 nights (1-10 April 2010)

Savuti

Unread postby Savuti » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Quick question: If we are in a single vehicle and driving from Mabuasehube to Nossob on the public road, can one overnight somewhere on that rd, i.e. is there a public campsite halfway?(i.e. equivalent of Mosemane Pan)

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby afri-explore » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 am

Savuti,
The road can be done easlily in one day (about 6-7 hours).
You can also book for overnight stay at Matopi 1 or 2. They are about halfway and have absolutely no facilities.

Savuti

Unread postby Savuti » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks for that. Are either of the camps at Matopi preferable? Is there a pan there - and is there ever game out there?

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batsman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:17 am

We haven't slept at Matopi, but we made a 30 minutes rest at Matopi 1.

I haven't seen a pan nearby, nor have I seen any mentionable game while we passed Matopi 1 & 2.

BennieO

Unread postby BennieO » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 am

Good day
I'm new to this forum. We plan to visit Mabausehube in 2010. A lot of the questions I had was already answered by previos posts and replies.
I have one more question. Can we take meat from RSA to Botswana? We plan to enter at McCarthy's Rest and exit via Two Rivers. What other "issues" or limitations are their that we need to know of at the border posts?
Thanks
Bennie

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby afri-explore » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi BennieO,
I have taken meat and wood through Mcarthys Rest border post without and problems. On both sides the staff were polite and very competent. We bought wood at one of the B&B's about 8km before Mcarthys at R20 for a large bag. Dry, good quality hardwood. You can collect outside the park. Inside the park the fine is P1500.

There is no VET gate on the road between Tsabong and Mabua gate and meat should not be a problem. Also make sure that you vacuum pack and deepfreeze before you go. Inspectors for food and mouth disease will confiscate 'most' imported meat, dairy products and even eggs at VET gates.

The food and mouth disease issues are however mostly present in the northern districts. Last shops in Tsabong, but don't expect much. Fuel can be a problem in town, but about 3km before the town is an "obscure" shop/service station with a better supply of fuel. Last time they only accepted cash (Rand and Pula).

Indiajane

Unread postby Indiajane » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm

We have just returned via Tshabong and finding diesel was a problem - they also wouldn't accept rands - we had to dash around to find an ATM to draw out Pula. Also be aware that if you are carrying additional petrol or diesel and returning into South Africa you are liable to be taxed on it!!

darraaz

Unread postby darraaz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi there again!

We intend travelling from Nossob to Mabua in 1 day, +- 200km, our last place to fill fuel will be in Nossob, we then have three nights at Khiding Pan, before exiting at Mabua gate heading South toward Tsabong. Am I correct by assuming that Tsabong is the only next place that has petrol, we are trying to workout how much extra fuel we need to carry for two Vehicles?

Thank You

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batsman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:11 pm

You're right that Tsabong has the next fuel station to Mabuasehube exit gate.

But don't count on it. Last year in June, we found a working fuel station with all sorts of petrol at Tsabong. In 2007 the whole town was run out of diesel.

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby afri-explore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Darraaz,

I did the trip in the reverse order, also spending 4 nights at Khiding. I took 60 liters af fuel along with a 80 liter tank and we managed to get fuel at Tshabong. In 2008 June they ran out of diesel. That allowed me enough fuel to do extensive game drives around all the Mabua pans. The road from Khiding to Nossob took less than 8 hours.

From Tshabong to Hotazel is 158km. If you are lucky you may find fuel at a farm between Tshabong and Hotazel, but do not bank on it.

Bentony

Entering at Mata Mata Gate.

Unread postby Bentony » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am

We are going up in about 3 weeks and I am at that stage of planning where I am making lists of lists with regards to fitting everything neatly into my vehicle. What I need to know is if we can take wood prchased in Namibia through the gate at Mata Mata? I would also like to know the state of the roads in the north of the park after all the rain.
Lastly - can we use a SA petrol card in Namibia or must we take cash?
How have the sightings been at KTC recently? We were last at KTC 4 years ago and I am really looking forward to visiting it again.

Red Dune

Re: Entering at Mata Mata Gate.

Unread postby Red Dune » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 am

hi there Bentony,

Wood, meat & fish has always been a difficult item when crossing the Namibian border . . . and you get questioned
about it everytime.

From past experience, the only Namibian wood that may leave that country . . . must be stripped from its bark . . . that being the reason that you'll never find any Namibian hard wood
(the bundles of reddish wood you find at just about any filling station in the RSA) . . . . stripped of its bark for some unknown reason in accordance with Namibian legislation.

To be on the safe side . . . I'll rather put that question to Namibian border control at Vijoolsdrift . . . as to whether you would be allowed to take specific wood into the KTP.

No sure about the Petrol cards . . we prefer the cash . . . because there is nothing worse in the KTP when your realize
you might be running short of cash !

Enjoy your trip ! (dropping you a personal mail as well)
Twee Rivieren : 2 nights for starters !
Nossob : 11 days from 1st March 2016 ( camping at last again !)
Mata Mata : then 5 nights at Mata Mata

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Return to “Arid Parks”