Skip to Content

Pontoon at Sendelingsdrift

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Holla

Pontoon at Sendelingsdrift

Unread post by Holla » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 am

Hello together,

at first I want to introduce my self with the necessary facts:
We are a couple from Germany and will travel through KTP, South Namibia, Richtersveld and Augrabies in November. We love the heat in the desert and of course we hire a 4x4 :mrgreen:. Also we have some expierence in traveling.

My question is if there is a possibility to check if the ferry at Sendelingsdrift is operational. The night before we will get to the park we are at Aus and if we know that the ferry is out of work we will start much earlier than currently planed.

Cheers,
and see you soon in the hot South!
Holla

barryels

Re: Pontoon at Sendelingsdrift

Unread post by barryels » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:04 pm

Holla wrote:Hello together,

My question is if there is a possibility to check if the ferry at Sendelingsdrift is operational. The night before we will get to the park we are at Aus and if we know that the ferry is out of work we will start much earlier than currently planed.

Cheers,
and see you soon in the hot South!
Holla

Dear Holla,

Welcome to the forums :thumbs_up: .

I suggest you read the topic Here.

Normal practice is to contact Sendelingsdrift in advance of your traveling to make sure the pond will be operational :thumbs_up: .

Holla

Unread post by Holla » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Hello barryels

I suggest you read the topic Here.

Normal practice is to contact Sendelingsdrift in advance of your traveling to make sure the pond will be operational :thumbs_up: .

Thank you so much for poining me there! How could I ever miss that thread? :big_eyes:

Can't wait to start the trip!

Holla

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Holla,

There might be a possibility that you can travel to Oranjemund and then cross into South Africa near Alexanderbay. You get to the border post before the town and therefore even though you need permits to enter the town the road is public as I understand. It is a detour but much shorter than going to Vioolsdrift - Steinkopf - Port Nolloth. The folk at Aus should be able to tell you if plan B (Oranjemund) can be done.

Rainy season still in the early stage so doubt the flow will be too fast to cross and only wind or maintenance issue will be a problem in November.

I found the following info from a blog called the http://www.lostshepard.co.za. Great info about over landing you may enjoy. They did the trip in August 2016 and posted 1 October 2016. So very fresh info on this route just incase you can not get across on the pontoon or a bit late.

Rosh Pinah – mine road down to Oranjemund and Alexander Bay. The road has been realigned and is being tarred. This is set to be a new semi major border crossing and the RSA side has already become jacked up. All very friendly but was not happy about our fruit in the fridge and said that we were not allowed to transport raw meat over the border.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Return to “Arid Parks”