Skip to Content

Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Sunbeam

Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Unread post by Sunbeam » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope I haven't missed this question searching the forum, if so, my apologies.

We are planning a trip from Fish River Canyon in Namibia through Richtersveld NP to Naukluft. I am using this map as a reference: https://www.sanparks.org/images/parks/r ... s/map2.jpg

Do you know if coming from Fish River Canyon in Namibia it is possible to enter Richtersveld NP at the east side (Norothsarma River Resort, Aussenkehr, Grasdrift?), stay 1-2 days in the park and leave the park in Sendelingsdrift? Or does one always have to enter in Sendelingsdrift to obtain a permit? Is it possible to obtain the permit somewhere else?

If Sendelingsdrift is the only possible entrance, which route would you recommend (coming from Fish River Canyon)? To use the road that follows the river at the border (around 3 hours I think)? Or would you recommend one of the routes mentioned on the official website and which I have pasted below? I guess we are looking for the shortest route with the best views :-). Perhaps someone could provide some approximate travel times for the different routes? We would be driving a 4x4.

" 1) The quickest way to get to the Park from N7 (RSA) and B1 (Namibia) is to turn off at Steinkopf and approach via Port Nolloth and Alexander Bay with only the last 80km being on dirt.
2) For those wishing to vary their route and get a broader picture of the |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld the road from Vioolsdrift, via Kotzehoop, through spectacular scenery to Eksteenfontein and then on to Sendelingsdrift is one well worth traveling.
3) The scenic route via Kuboes, Lekkersing and Eksteenfontein provides an additional dimension of what the region has to offer.
4) Another spectacular route, recommended for 4x4 vehicles only, is over the mountain pass via Helskloof Reserve between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrift."

Many thanks!
Sunbeam

DinkyBird

Re: Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Sunbeam - will try and find out for you, certainly on the permit part.
- Dalene

Sunbeam

Re: Route Fish River Canyon - Richtersveld NP - Naukluft?

Unread post by Sunbeam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm

That would be fantastic, thanks a lot DinkyBird! I've emailed the park directly but haven't got a response and we do need to book the campgrounds soon ...

Return to “Arid Parks”