Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by anne-marie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:27 pm

:dance: thank you
:clap:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Dantheman

Unread post by Dantheman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:55 am

Thank you so much for the great pictures of Ingwe.
She is truly magnificently beautiful.
Thanks wanderw and Yoricka van der Merwe :thumbs_up: :D
One day we will be exploring the bush for 10 years non-stop!!!!!!!!!!

Eagle Owl

Unread post by Eagle Owl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi all, I haven't been on the forums for a while (okay, something like 4 years). However, seeing that our leopard pics of Ingwe have been posted here (thanks Wanda) I felt I should say something about it. Firstly, this was our first trip to the Kgalagadi! And what a trip!! We stayed in Mata Mata for 8 nights and the first and last night in TR (ten full days). On the road between MM and TR we had more than twenty lion sightings in 10 days. We had six cheetah sightings and plenty general animal sightings. However, as our visit draw to the end we had no leopard sightings as yet. And we thought that on this trip this was the only cat we would not see. Our night drive guide, Ian, also were not very optimistic about leopard sightings in that stretch. However, when passing some other people and asking what they have seen there was nearly every day a sighting of leopard around Montrose and Auchterlonie and surrounding areas.

Our last full day arrived and we headed from Mata Mata to TR. It was open day for the lions in the Kgalagadi!!! From Mata Mata to just passed Urukaruus we had five different lion sightings. And then, near Gemsbokplein, there she was, next to the road in the shadow of a tree, but we saw her too late and the trailor made a noise as we came to a halt...eish, two other cars were also at the sighting. Sorry guys! She stood up and started walking through the dry riverbed to the dune. We managed probably 100 photos of her, walking...then she went up the dune, laid on the top under a bush for a few minutes and then dissapeared over the dune. We had our leopard!

Great that she turned out to be one that is very seldom seen! For a female Ingwe is actually huge. And in excellent condition!

We saw another two lion sightings after her (7 lion sightings before 13;00) and a female cheetah with two cubs around the Monro area. That we are hooked to the Kgalagadi is no secret. And we will soon return! Seeing on facebook how many leopards are on the MM and TR stretch I am dumbfounded that we did not at least have one other sighting! But I gladly take Ingwe for this round and hope to see her more in the future! Thanks for the nice comment on the pic Dantheman....seeing that you are the people that saw her first, I guess it is your leopard, lol!! It would definitely have been mine!! :D

Dantheman

Unread post by Dantheman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi Eagle Owl

I am very pleased :) that you had such magnificent sightings of all the cats, and of course especially Ingwe :clap: .
We are so looking forward to our next trip in two weeks time :) , and will be on the lookout for our "kollekat".
Hopefully one day you will also be the first to ID a new Leopard and/or Cheetah.

Mooi Loop :thumbs_up:

Dantheman

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Posting on behalf of Enrico.

Enrico had an amazing sighting of the big male L72 at Urikaruus on the 15th of November, at 6.30am.

One of the things that made this sighting exceptional was the fact that L72 was last seen about 4 years ago.

Enrico, many thanks for allowing me to post. :gflower:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 pm

well done Enrico :dance: :clap:
and thank you wanderw :k
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Dantheman

Unread post by Dantheman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:39 am

Wow that is a brilliant sighting :D
Hope we are as lucky when we stay at Urikaruus in 2 weeks time :wink:

Barrydalers

Unread post by Barrydalers » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Downloaded my guides today :D
2015 Trip
Mata Mata: 09.01 to 13.01
Nossob: 14.01 to 19.01

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I saw this young cub somewhere between 13th and 14th Borehole on the 4th December, really hoping others might see her too as I would love to know more about her/him.

Home is where you hang your @

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Here is another pic. I have sent the sighting on to Matthew. I also saw the Leopard drinking at the Nossob hide at the end of November but don't have a pic as I didn't have my camera with me. :redface:

Home is where you hang your @

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:56 am

Wonderful sighting of little Itumeleng Peterpiper...he/she is growing up to be a stunning leopard!
Wanderw, thanks for posting these photos on behalf of Enrico and Eagle Owl. Will be interesting to see who emerges as the territory holder between L-72 and Dakotah.

2014-12-01 Motsumi
100m past Kaspersdraai at 18:50

December started with a bang for us as we had an our only leopard sighting of our recent trip. It was a short but amazing sighting of Motsumi just north of Kaspersdraai.

It all unfolded on our drive to Nossob from Twee Rivieren. 50m before Kaspersdraai we found both a brown and spotted hyena walking quite close to each other near the road, as well as a few jackals around hassling them both. The spotted hyena came right up to the car to get a closer look at us. After her turned and left we drove on to the waterhole only to find a female lion flop over right by the waterhole. At this point we figured that the jackals that we had heard calling in the distance were for the lion. Then to our amazement another 100m up the road Motsumi was sat by the side of the road looking a bit annoyed...we could now see the noisy jackals and we kicked ourselves for not responding to their calls quicker!

There was an amazing stormy sunset beginning and we really wanted to stay longer with him but time was pressing and we could only stay for a few minutes before having to leave to make it back for gate closing. But we managed to get a few nice shots of this majestic male.

Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Dantheman

Unread post by Dantheman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 am

Wow great sighting, hope it will be the 1st of many more on your trip.
For us 4 days and counting to Saturday in KTP.
Greetings from a wet Jhb.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:37 am

superb :mrgreen: :dance:
thank you for posting :clap:
Le Petit Prince

back home...

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:52 am

Beautiful sighting Astromatt, with superb photos! :clap: :clap:

I just hold thumbs that nothing happens to prevent us from visiting Augrabies and KTP from 5 February 2015! :dance: :dance:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

FORUMITES, have you read this announcement? If not, please do and participate! Annual Forum Awards 2016

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Katja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:13 pm

I just came back from a wonderful stay in KTP. :)

I saw Safran at Lijersdraai waterhole on 28 November and Ingwe between Rooibrak and Montrose on 2 December.

When I have downloaded my photos to my computer, I will select a few and send them to AstroMatt.
KNP: April 2016
KTP: October 2016

Return to “Arid Parks”