Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Eagle Owl

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by Eagle Owl » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi all, I haven't been on the forums for a while (okay, something like 4 years). However, seeing that our leopard pics of Ingwe have been posted here (thanks Wanda) I felt I should say something about it. Firstly, this was our first trip to the Kgalagadi! And what a trip!! We stayed in Mata Mata for 8 nights and the first and last night in TR (ten full days). On the road between MM and TR we had more than twenty lion sightings in 10 days. We had six cheetah sightings and plenty general animal sightings. However, as our visit draw to the end we had no leopard sightings as yet. And we thought that on this trip this was the only cat we would not see. Our night drive guide, Ian, also were not very optimistic about leopard sightings in that stretch. However, when passing some other people and asking what they have seen there was nearly every day a sighting of leopard around Montrose and Auchterlonie and surrounding areas.

Our last full day arrived and we headed from Mata Mata to TR. It was open day for the lions in the Kgalagadi!!! From Mata Mata to just passed Urukaruus we had five different lion sightings. And then, near Gemsbokplein, there she was, next to the road in the shadow of a tree, but we saw her too late and the trailor made a noise as we came to a halt...eish, two other cars were also at the sighting. Sorry guys! She stood up and started walking through the dry riverbed to the dune. We managed probably 100 photos of her, walking...then she went up the dune, laid on the top under a bush for a few minutes and then dissapeared over the dune. We had our leopard!

Great that she turned out to be one that is very seldom seen! For a female Ingwe is actually huge. And in excellent condition!

We saw another two lion sightings after her (7 lion sightings before 13;00) and a female cheetah with two cubs around the Monro area. That we are hooked to the Kgalagadi is no secret. And we will soon return! Seeing on facebook how many leopards are on the MM and TR stretch I am dumbfounded that we did not at least have one other sighting! But I gladly take Ingwe for this round and hope to see her more in the future! Thanks for the nice comment on the pic Dantheman....seeing that you are the people that saw her first, I guess it is your leopard, lol!! It would definitely have been mine!! :D

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Posting on behalf of Enrico.

Enrico had an amazing sighting of the big male L72 at Urikaruus on the 15th of November, at 6.30am.

One of the things that made this sighting exceptional was the fact that L72 was last seen about 4 years ago.

Enrico, many thanks for allowing me to post. :gflower:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:39 pm

I saw this young cub somewhere between 13th and 14th Borehole on the 4th December, really hoping others might see her too as I would love to know more about her/him.

Home is where you hang your @

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Here is another pic. I have sent the sighting on to Matthew. I also saw the Leopard drinking at the Nossob hide at the end of November but don't have a pic as I didn't have my camera with me. :redface:

Home is where you hang your @

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:56 am

Wonderful sighting of little Itumeleng Peterpiper...he/she is growing up to be a stunning leopard!
Wanderw, thanks for posting these photos on behalf of Enrico and Eagle Owl. Will be interesting to see who emerges as the territory holder between L-72 and Dakotah.

2014-12-01 Motsumi
100m past Kaspersdraai at 18:50

December started with a bang for us as we had an our only leopard sighting of our recent trip. It was a short but amazing sighting of Motsumi just north of Kaspersdraai.

It all unfolded on our drive to Nossob from Twee Rivieren. 50m before Kaspersdraai we found both a brown and spotted hyena walking quite close to each other near the road, as well as a few jackals around hassling them both. The spotted hyena came right up to the car to get a closer look at us. After her turned and left we drove on to the waterhole only to find a female lion flop over right by the waterhole. At this point we figured that the jackals that we had heard calling in the distance were for the lion. Then to our amazement another 100m up the road Motsumi was sat by the side of the road looking a bit annoyed...we could now see the noisy jackals and we kicked ourselves for not responding to their calls quicker!

There was an amazing stormy sunset beginning and we really wanted to stay longer with him but time was pressing and we could only stay for a few minutes before having to leave to make it back for gate closing. But we managed to get a few nice shots of this majestic male.

Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Katja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:13 pm

I just came back from a wonderful stay in KTP. :)

I saw Safran at Lijersdraai waterhole on 28 November and Ingwe between Rooibrak and Montrose on 2 December.

When I have downloaded my photos to my computer, I will select a few and send them to AstroMatt.
KNP: April 2016
KTP: October 2016

Timbits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Timbits » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:01 am

Monday December 01 - Grootkolk
Today was a travel day, so we decided to leave a little later. At 6:15 am, we were packing up, and Kham dropped for a drink :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

shane

Unread post by shane » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Beautiful sighting of Motsumi at Cheleka a week ago.

Travel Reports:
Through the eyes of a couple: KTP won
!Xaus Lodge: A brief story.

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 pm

peterpiper(Itumeleng), timbits(Kham) and Shane(Motsumi) - thank you for posting your superb pix. :gflower:

We came back from the park near the end of December.We found leopard tracks twice and heard a leopard at Nossob hide after the generator went off, but were not lucky enough to see one this time. :( While we were in the park, a few people reported sightings to us:

1)Kham and Safran Mating at Kannaguass on the 6th of December. This does not look good with respect to Naledi, Safran's last cub.
2) Male leo near Kannaguass on the 12th of December(suspect Kham)
3) Leopard seen at Houmoed early December - awaiting pix.
4) Dakotah seen at Montrose on the 17th of December.
5) Warona seen at Auchterlonie picnic site on the 18th of December. Warona seems to be moving around a lot lately, as since then we have had a report of her seen back near Leeudril, then back at Houmoed near the end of December.

F2/2014

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks for the update WanderW............. :gflower:

We had a nice sighting of Miera Friday, 16 January. She drank some water at Batulama.

I'll post some photos a bit later and send in the info to AstroMatt............. :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:40 am

Thanks for posting the update Wanderw. :gflower:
Sadly I don't think it is looking good for Naledi, but this is nature. If the mating is successful then there might be another on the way too.

@Lion Queen, great to hear you had a sighting of Miera, Haven't had a report of her in a while so good to know she is OK.

I've also recently had two reports of the Auchterlonie Female
21/12/2014 at Auchterlonie. The pictures seem to suggest that she was pregnant.
09/01/2015 at Munro. These photos clearly show suckling marks and a fairly floppy belly....so there is a new cub around Munro somewhere :)
For people going up to the park keep your eyes :big_eyes:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

GavinW
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2015)

Unread post by GavinW » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 pm

We saw this lady at Kamfersboom on the morning of Sunday 4 January
Please can I get an ID
thanks
Gavin
See our trip reports:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2012

Wannabe Larnies in the KTP December/Jan 2015
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2015

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:20 am

Thanx for the info on Miera lion queen. :gflower: As Astromatt said, so pleased to know that she is ok. Will love to see your pix when you are ready.

Thanx for the info on the Auchterlonie female Astromatt. :thumbs_up: Would be great to be going to the park in a few months. :roll:

GavinW - A superb sighting and pix of the lovely Warona. Lucky you. Thanx for posting. :gflower: When you can, we would love to see more of this sighting. :)

F2/2014

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 am

There was quite a few cars gathered at Batulama when we arrived. A woman told us a leopard was walking down the river bed to the water hole.

At 9H50 we spotted her as she was walking on top of the ridge. Not long after that she started to climb down to the river bed.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:02 am

Sniffed all the rocks as she was walking...........

Return to “Arid Parks”