Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
shaheen

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by shaheen » Mon May 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Just got back from a wonderful time in KTP.
Had 2 awesome leopard sightings :dance: :dance: south and north of monro, unfortunately I cannot identify them.
@AstroMatt I have filled out the form and mailed a few pictures. Will be awaiting the response.
As soon as time permits I will post a couple of pictures.
Thanks again for the advice.

Regards
Shaheen

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 pm

There is a leopard live at the Nossob webcam.
http://www.sanparks.org/webcams/cams.php?cam=nossob

After comparing the back of the head of the leopard I can confirm that it is Langklaas.
She is looking quite thin and drinking quite a bit of water.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 pm

She vanished at 13:27 between frame updates. Probably a good sign. Lets just hope we get a sighting of her later and can check her condition more thoroughly.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue May 06, 2014 6:23 pm

For those that missed the action today here are a couple of gifs i made from the images i captured.

F1/2014

shaheen

Unread post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Here are a few picture of Warona as identified by AstroMatt.
Both my sightings on 2 seperate days were of her.
On both accassions she was stalking but missed.
on the first ocassion she pounced twice to attempt to catch a squirrel.
On the second ocassion she was stalking a guinea fowl, started crawling until onother bird which saw her let off warning signals and the guinea fowl flew away.

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu May 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Heard through reliable channels - Langklaas, the female leopard, died this morning. :cry: Awaiting more info.
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu May 08, 2014 4:33 pm

There is a statement from SANParks here.

Lesego wrote:Dear 'Mites

Kindly take note that the leopard died last night some time. The cause of death could either be old age or an illness.

An autopsy has been done on the leopard and we are awaiting the results to confirm the cause of death if whether it was due to old age or illness.
As soon as we have the results, I will post here FYI.
Sawubona
Dalene

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Have heard from AstroMatt who has been in touch with the Sanparks rangers. Initial autopsy indicates infected placenta, pregnancy that went wrong. Samples have been taken and sent away to State vet.

F2/2014

luislang
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by luislang » Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Does this mean she gave birth and there could be an orphan cub or cubs nearby :(
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm

@luislang -Langklaas did not look pregnant or like she was feeding cub(s) in the recent reported sightings of her, but it is difficult to tell from pix. We need to wait for more info and the results of the State vet.

F2/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 pm

@anne-marie - :cry: a terrible day indeed! You posted the first pic of Langklaas on this thread(page1) after spending 5 hours with her at the sighting, I can only imagine how you must feel. A big virtual hug!

F2/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 am

For completeness - copy of email from Section Ranger posted on FB:

The leopard was first reported on Monday morning to be weak and had apparently fallen out of a tree that a Lioness had chased it up. The leopard stayed around the Nossob hide / waterhole since then and got progressively weaker. An incident whereby the same lioness and her ±4 month old cub confronted the leopard ended with a single charge from the lioness but nothing further happened.
I monitored the leopard numerous times per day since I was made aware in order to attend to the problem as efficiently as possible.
This morning first thing we noticed that she no longer was breathing so we removed her and conducted a post mortem.

Nothing too abnormal was noticed, her teeth were in good condition, her heart and lungs seemed normal but the liver had bubbles in which might /might not mean anything. She had a placenta which suggest that she was possibly pregnant at some stage. Upon opening it there was no foetus but rather a smelly milky substance. Samples of the heart, lungs, liver, kidney and placenta were taken, blood smears were also made. This will all be sent down to the Park Manager and he will then forward the samples to the state vets for diagnosis and hopefully a confirmed cause of death

F2/2014

RhymeZA

Unread post by RhymeZA » Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 am

Terrible news...

She appeared in good health on 17 April. But I suppose that is the circle of life.

Langklaas will forever live on in our hearts: she was our first and -- without doubt -- best sighting of leopard in the KTP. My family was so excited of learning the she had a name and was quite important to the research project :D I'm certainly not giving them this news...

RIP
Dec 2014 - Karoo & Mokala
June 2015 - Orpen & Biyamiti
? 2015 - Kgalagadi

lostinlondon

Unread post by lostinlondon » Sat May 10, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi all

Long time lurker, little poster (if ever?)

Just returned from the Kgalagadi for the first time and can comment on post from Wanderw as I was in the Nossob hide for a number of the days the Leopard in question (i assume) was present - and also during the confrontation with the lion and her cub

We first spotted the leopard by the Nossob waterhole from the hide on the 4th May and she looked very thin and fragile. That afternoon she slept under a tree to the top left of the hole in the shade whilst springbok wandered past her - she did not seem even mildy interested in them. She stayed near this tree all day

The following morning, from the hide once again around 0600, i spotted the same leopard wandering around in the dark. Shortly after a female lion came to the hole with her cub unaware that the Leopard was in the longer grass (essentially hiding from the lion) - the leopard made no attempt to flee despite having a fair chance. Whilst the mother lion was drinking the cub wandered close to the Leopard which caused quite a scene with the female lion confronting the leopard above the water hole which has formed behind the Nossob concrete waterhole. There was no contact between the cats but the Leopard quickly dashed for the tree which she was in the shade of the previous day after the female lion charged. The lion, around 0700 went and pushed the point with the leopard by walking up the tree and standing on her hind legs against the trunk pushing the leopard further up.

by this time the hide was absolutely packed of people wanting to see the cub (everyone had seen the leopard since she had been around for the past day i think) - we later returned to nossob in the mid morning of the 5th may to see her still up the tree and doing what leopards to best - sleep.

I had specifically come back to this forum looking for more information on the leopard we had scene since it did look ill.

Very sad to hear it may have subsequently died.

I'll attach some photos (I'm not going to play with the quality - will just upload what i have)

where she was sleeping with springbok near by - out in the open - 4th may

sitting by the back waterhole in nossob on the 4th may

similar - 4th may

wandering away from springbok - 4th may

hiding from the lions - 5th may (sorry - was extreme low light - so bad pic!)

and still up the tree later the day - 5th may
Last edited by lostinlondon on Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenand

Unread post by jenand » Sat May 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks wanderw for keeping us posted. And lostinlondon for the added info.

Poor little Langklaas. This is my 1 and only pic of her (looking a tad grumpy :) - but still a lovely memory for me.

Return to “Arid Parks”