Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by anne-marie » Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: for the 50th
right, seems to be thin like a Cheetah :?

so Miera will have soon 3 years :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

gb225450
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gb225450 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 am

During our recent visit to KTP we had an amazing sighting of Ingwe with an Aardwolf kill:

A 1 minute video

A 5 minute video

Last edited by gb225450 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Trip report: KTP April/May: Blooming KTP & some very unusual sightings!

Previous TRs
Kruger Oct12 Trip Report Oct '12
Trip Report & Photos June 2012

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Tue May 28, 2013 3:32 pm

@gb225450 - WOW!!!! Brilliant sighting and brilliant pix! :clap: :mrgreen: :clap: Never to be forgotten! :thumbs_up: Thank you for posting. :D
(With regard to Aardwolf - I have seen one just outside the park, but never inside! :wall: )
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

WillieV
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or Insects - Butterfly Award (2016)
Award: Sighting of the year - Non Predator (2015)

Unread post by WillieV » Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am

Here are some photo's of Balete, the daughter of Tswana, as seen on 6 May 2013 at Marie se Gat.

KGALAGADI AUGUST 2016. BIRDS OF PREY.

Kgalagadi May 2014 with Lion vs Leopard
Award: Sighting of the year - Predator (2014)

WillieV
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or Insects - Butterfly Award (2016)

Unread post by WillieV » Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 am

WillieV
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WillieV » Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri May 31, 2013 3:27 pm

@ WillieV lovely sightings of Tsamma and Balete. Could i also ask you to submit a report for both these sightings and the 50th Leo one on my website. Just want to make sure i have all the details.

@ gb225450 Thanks for the report and for posting these amazing videos...a real one in a lifetime event i think!

Hopefully i'll have an updated version of the guide out soon with the new leopards and new photos. I'm just waiting to hear back from a few people first.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Before i forget, this is the sighting that i was sent by Carin Malan last week. The sighting happened on 28/08/2010, approximately 4kms north of Urikaruus. It shows Khomani and Miera. This sighting is 2 months earlier than the one IainP had on p14 (http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18567&start=195)
It is hard to see much of a change between IainP and Carin's photos (especially when you look at the face) which demonstrates how important these historical sightings are for trying to get the best possible age. So if you have historical sightings that you don't think i have on record do please send them to me using the website.
Photos taken by Carin Malan

Incidentally Miera was last seen at Auchterlonie on the 3/4/2013, so she is still doing well :D

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 am

Here is a leopard that was sent to me recently by David Winter. He had the sighting on the 22nd October 2010 on a night drive from Nossob. He thinks they were about 10kms south of Nossob.

The great news is i can't match this large male to any in the guide, and even better, i've managed to match him to the leopard Jo took a video of and posted in the "What happens at Nossob after the lights go out...." thread
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=49596
Her sighting was on 7th December 2010.

So there was definitely a large male in the nossob area but he hasn't been seen since.
He'll be L-51 in the next version of the guide in the historical section.

F1/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:26 pm

@WillieV - great sighting of Balete! Thanx for posting. :D

@AstroMatt - Miera is gorgeous! Thanx for the update and thank you to Carin Malan for giving you permission to post. :thumbs_up:
And now L51 :dance: Super news and a match to Jo's leo too! Again, thank you to David Winter for allowing you to post.
:hmz: Interesting that 2 mature male leopards(L51 and Vnose) were seen at Nossob waterhole in December 2010.
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:34 pm

@ Wanderw...you are right that it is interesting that these two males were around but haven't been seen since. Maybe they were checking out the river from the Bots side? :hmz:

@Anne-marie...there maybe more ahead ;)

So to continue the updates here is a sighting from Manus Coetzee. He saw Isidima near Leeuwdril on 4th April 2013.
KG also got a camera trap photo of Isidima back in December 2011. So she has been around for a while now.

F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 am

So the next update to the KTP leopards is a very old sighting.
Peterpiper posted a picture of a leopard in a tree in his 2006 trip report (post date 17th May 2006)
Peterpiper's report May 06

I was never able to identify this leopard and i wasn't sure if it was because it was a new leopard or just a hard ID! However, I was sent a recent historical sighting that has now allowed me to identify this leopard as a new (historical) individual. Unfortunately i don't have permission yet to post the comparison pictures from this new sighting.

Peterpiper has sent me a few more images of this leopard (many thanks :thumbs_up: ) and s/he will appear in the guide as L-52.

F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm

So now some exciting news...
The KTP guide now has a sister guide in the form of a guide for the leopards of Augrabies Falls National Park.
Although there are only two currently known leopards I thought it was worth putting something together so people can see where they have been seen and what details we have on them so far.

A great thanks must go to the great work of Augrabies Guru in finding the leopards on the night drives and to Jane Hendrickse for supplying photos of the first sighting :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Also a big thank you to the forumites who provided the camera for the guides at Augrabies :thumbs_up:

The guide (5Mb in size) can be found at my website below.
I hope you all like it.

F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Glad you like the new guide anne-marie and WillieV.

@anne-marie....i thought you would like Safran's cameo ;)

So onto my next update.
Right at the bottom of Oumie's April 2012 trip report there is a sighting of a leopard near Twee Rivieren on 18/03/2012.
Oumie Kgalagadi trip...cannot wait! April 2012
Even from this picture i had a feeling that it might be a new leopard but i don't remember why.
Oumie recently sent me the original picture and i have been unable to match the spots on the right hand side of the body to any of the known leopards. So we have a 53rd leopard.
Unfortunately Oumie doesn't have any other photos of this sighting as it was far away. If any one knows of a friend who was in the park at the time of this sighting then they might have some really useful photos that could be used in the guide.
Here is the higher resolution version of Oumie's picture

F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Here are the last two new leopards I've heard about recently. These two are a mother and cub found in the Botswana section of the park near Mubuasehube pan. They were sighted by Manus Coetzee on 3rd April 2012.
I've created a separate section in the guide for the Botswana leopards and for the moment they will remain unnamed and will just have the scientific tags L-54 and L-55.

I plan to have the next version of the guide out by the end of the week before i head up to the park for a week.

F1/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”