Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
enrico

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by enrico » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I will be in KTP again including Grootkolk during the first two weeks of March. :dance:
Hope the leopards hang around till then. :pray:

RichardJ
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Excellent AstroMatt :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 pm

I didn't see a yellow ribbon the whole time I was in the park this time :(

Lets hope Enrico comes back with a few updates :popcorn:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:07 am

The morning of 31 December, we were travelling from KTC to TR. At about 9:15, halfway between Rooibrak and Montrose, we saw this leopard on the other side of the riverbed, under a tree.

She was sniffing around, and eventually picked up what looked like a springbok leg and started chewing it.

It didn't keep her busy for too long, and she was up again soon, and walking around under the tree.

And then, our wish came true - she started walking straight towards us! :dance:

It was magical. Initialy there were 2 other cars at the sighting, but they left already. We spent some close up time with who we believe to be Miera:

By looking at her close up, we actually thought she was still a very young leopard, with her pink nose. She is also not a very big leopard.

She did seem very used to attention, and not shy at all! :D

Allowing me to take great shots! :cam:

She sniffed at our car's rear tyre (she was definitely shorter than the tyre height), and crossed over to the other side:

What a sighting - what an absolute privelage to meet this beautiful dainty lady! :D
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 am

More detail and more pics to hopefully follow in a TR soon... :whistle:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:17 am

Oh my Bushbuddies you were spoiled rotten!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It does look like Miera, and she is a poser!! One of the very few leopards I ever seen that is not shy of people or vehicles!!

Every time we've seen here she came right up to the vehicle and gave us a show.

You have some stunning photos!! Thank you so much for sharing!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 am

wow Miera... the starlette :dance: :clap:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:04 pm

Bushbuddies,

What a stunning sighting you had late morning. Looks like one has a good chance to spot leopards any time of the day. :clap: :clap: :clap: Just not on the day we saw one. :cry:

Astromatt,

Great shots that make me so green. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: To think we were only a few km away at Gharagab, but just to far for an afternoon drive. We had a short sighting of Safraan before she disappeared and just could n't return to see what happened to that kill.
It was nice to meet you again and maybe next time we will be in Grootkolk when we meet up for leopard spotting again. This time I will ignore the lions and drive passed them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Warona - 9 November 2013 10H17

6 km North of Monro

She was watching something small and next moment sprinted to whatever she saw, but then sat down??

Matthew, thanks the help of this afternoon was just what I needed to have success in uploading GIF files!! :gflower: :gflower: So much more than just a Leopard Guru....... :dance: :dance:

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Evel wrote:Ok so I have been chatting to Astromatt and he has confirmed that the leopard I saw between Kanagauus and Lijersdraai on the 18th Dec was Rosa :D

Great shot of Rosa. We heard from other visitors that there was a leopard at Lijersdraai waterhole, but never found it except for Safran not too far away on 10 Dec.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Lion queen,

Lovely video. What a privilege to see a leopard. :clap: :clap: Since July 2006 I have not seen any leopards along the Auob. :cry:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank Son Godin!

She then walked up the ridge and all along the top before getting down and laying in a "cave"

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 pm

@Bushbuddies.....lovely sighting of Miera. We weren't lucky enough to see her even with a lot of trying! You have some lovely photos of her, and you are right she is very relaxed around cars which can make the sighting quite exciting :D

You are also right that she isn't a huge leopard but size is a difficult one to relate to age. Most of the female leopards can appear to be quite small particularly if you are used to seeing the big males. If you look at my earlier picture of Tebogo walking in the road he is only as tall as the road side verge and Safran who is an established female is smaller then him! If you had Safran and Miera next to each other I would bet there wouldn't be a huge size difference.
AstroMatt wrote:Image

You also mention the nose colour...again I should warn you that the nose colours are not great indicators of age.
Bushbuddies wrote:Image

Take a look at the close up picture of Tebogo below. He is about half Miera's age but has a completely black (or dark) nose. The variations in nose colour are not particularly well understood.
AstroMatt wrote:Image

If I can also use Safran as another example. She has quite a pink nose and is most likely 7+ years old.

What is a much better indicator of age is the staining on the canine teeth, the older the leopard the more staining. These photos are a great example of this. If you look at the three pictures above then you would clearly place them in the correct age order. However, estimating a more precise age bracket does require a lot more knowledge.

@Son Godin...at least you can see what you missed ;) I think you are right Gharagab is a bit too far for the evening drive, but i've been told the camps waterhole is becoming more active.
Hopefully next time we'll be in the same camp for a shared sighting. :thumbs_up:

@Lion Queen....great gifs of Warona. She is becoming quite the tormentor of small animals :D Glad I could help.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm

She later lay down flat and it was getting "late" so we moved on. We spend quite some time there with her and not another car in sight!!

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:49 pm

What a lot of leopard sightings! :dance:

Evel - super to find Rosa near Kannaguass. :thumbs_up: She seems to like that area a lot!

Bushbuddies - stunning sighting of Miera! A real star! :clap: Very :mrgreen: I saw her when she was about 9 months old, would love to see her again! :pray:

lion queen - great sighting of Warona and lovely to watch her move! :dance:

Thank you all for posting! :thumbs_up:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”