Skip to Content

Chatting down by the River

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Chatting down by the River

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 am

Morning all.

A new week has arrived. The Cradle tray is ready and waiting.

Mischief, I am pleased that you enjoyed the Park. I completely forgot that it was the Skuks half marathon. Good idea to go as far away from the crowds as possible.

Chirinda, thanks for the moon news. I get wonderful moon views in the Cradle.

I heard on the news that more restrictions will be enforced in the Cape. It seems that the naughty folk will have some device attached to their properties. :naughty:

Susan, Guinea fowl really can be very creative gardeners. Almost as good as young Labradors. :wink:

Elsa, I think that I agree with Stampie, a Duikertjie is about as cute as you get.

Well, I had a lovely day yesterday. It is really super that my kids had married folk with a love for the bush. Andrew was saying that it was easier to leave knowing that he was coming back to Kruger in December.

I have a quietish day at work. There is a long enough break to pop into the Mall and go to Cape Union Mart. They have a sale on their slippers and my poor slippers have been redesigned by Micci. He probably mistook them for dead prey. :wink:

Well, I do wish you all a fab day. Take :gflower: care.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Chatting around the camp fire

Unread post by billyf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:20 am

Good morning mites, have a good start to the week :gflower:

Thanks for the Cradle coffee and rusks Ms Mouse, glad you had a good time with your children yesterday, and December is just around the corner !!

Weather forecast for the Cape not that good, although a cold front is expected on Friday. Lets hope this one will supply some decent rain, especially in the catchment areas :pray: :pray:

Mischief, we want photographic proof of your sightings, for all we know you spent the day in the restaurant at Pretoriuskop :tongue: :lol: Glad that Mischief 2 was so well looked after :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am

Good Morning Mites, hope your day is Good :gflower:
Lovely coffee thanks MM
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings, while others are adding up their troubles

Tamboti 20-25 September 2017

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:02 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
Billy the pics are a work in progress.We bought a new little mik and druk camera and the next step is to learn how to download onto our other devices :lol: :lol: :lol: Luckily hubby has the patience to read through instruction manuals and learn all the nitty gritty then I just get the edited version.
Chirinda and Mouse you must try and take some pics of the partial eclipse for us.We definitely will not be seeing it.Weather forecast was accurate and we have heavy overcast skies and spits and spots and cool today.
GEJ hope the poached rhino is back to his normal horny self and also that the shopping mall you visit today is to your liking.
We saw 2 beautiful klipspringers at the Kruger Tablets yesterday,Elsa I would love to have a duiker in my garden.
Chirinda glad that Judith is starting to get mobile.
Elizabeth....awwwww it would be great if you could go to Ngwenya but I so understand your concerns about the furry ones and the right people to look after them.

Well we have the peeps coming to replace the blinds today in the townhouse so I best get the show on the road.My job will be to keep Spitfire 2 from a tracking them! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Nkulu thought about you on Saturday ........not long now!

Have a lovely day everybody! :gflower:
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 am

Morning all! Tea and ginger bics in the simplex next to the botanical gardens (must go there sometime!). Intending a relatively quiet day today...... Bit more sorting out around the simplex, but almost done all I can do until I get some more things here.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:36 am

Good morning MM and thank you for the Cradle Tray :gflower: MM I hope you will find comfortable and snug slippers at Cape Union Mart. These days a person can get an overwhelming variety of slippers to choose from, some even are fluffy with oversized rabbit ears even with eyes that move around as the wearer walks but I suppose those would be too tempting for Micci or most to redesign. Good morning GEJ I am glad that you are feeling better after the flu bug :gflower: . Elsa :gflower: Duikers are brilliantly handsome antelope. Stampie :gflower: sorry about the rose thorn hurting your finger, they can cause nasty stabs. Good morning Billy :D I keep on watching the weather forecast hoping for rain for the Cape Good morning Nkulu :gflower: Good morning Mischief :gflower: I am glad that you saw Klipspringers at the Kruger Tablets we sometimes see them approaching Lower- Sabie near Nkumbe lookout point I will bring a swiss roll for 11 o’clock morning tea Have a good Monday everybody :gflower:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:50 am

Good morning all.
Gorgeous morning here but if there's a partial eclipse tonight, it is sure to cloud over later - Sod's law! The weaver decided to move into our fever tree yesterday. It's full of nests and activity today.

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. MM, good to have the family round, Chirinda, Judith must have enjoyed getting out to the shops even if it was slow and painful, Mischief, hope the new blind installation goes smoothly and Spitfire 1 and 2 behave themselves, Billy, fingers crossed for the expected cold front, it's really worrying that the winter rainy season is coming to an end, Elsa, good to have a lazy day, I'm glad you're feeling better GEJ, Hugh, you need to train those fur kids to all go oui oui together. I think you must go the Ngwenya next month. It'll be good practise for the house sitters for the end of the year.

I'm going to make an attempt to renew my drivers licence today. I hope I don't encounter any of your problems Foxy.

Have a great day everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Stampajane on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Chatting down by the River

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

Morning all. Lovely sunny day here pity no rain.
Ta for the coffee Mouse I have just warmed my mug up in the microwave .
Oh dear so you have the spitty one doing her thing today Mischief1 Hope the blinds go up without a mishap .
About Ngwenya the real was has been persuaded by me to ask his boet if he flies up will there be space in the car for him to go along too. I am sure he will enjoy some time with his brother . Its just impossible for me to go too as the $$$$$$$$ are just not enough as if we get a pet sitter that is a lotta money . and I am sure there wont be enough space in their car for me as well . Of course I will be :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Now Paddy the speaker of our house has just had a secret ballot with the hounds as to whether to go to the dog park today . voting was a unanimous YES so we will go this morning while the real one goes to Builders to buy a few odds and sods He cant wait for Wednesday which is pensioners day.
Bokkies in your garden again Elsa and how are you little seedlings you planted .
GM will see you at 11oclock at the lookout point I will brig the flasks of hot water for the tea and coffee and a cooler box with some fizzy drinks ( non alcoholic of course)
GEJ take a picnic sandwich and a flask of tea and go sit under a tree on a bench at the bot gardens and watch the world go by.
Mouse hope you get the slippers you want I also saw that advert and was realy tempted BUT iI only need socks . But those jackets also look nice and and and
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am

A very good morning everyone!

Stunning day here today with not a cloud in the sky....so far!

Good luck with the new blind fitting today Mischief!

Seedlings looking good so far and not nibbled on yet, these bokkies are quite selective as to what they snack on.

Hopefully Hugh gets the :thumbs_up: so he can go to Ngwenya!
and talking of Ngwenya, I heard yesterday that our member of the same name had passed away last week, very sad.
He wasn't a very regular poster, lived in Umhlanga but did love Kruger.

Hope your finger is not feeling too eina today Stampie, those rose thorns do pack a punch.

Had a chuckle at your slipper story MM!

Looking forward to tea with a stunning view today!

My grandie's b/day today and we will be going to dinner with the birthday boy and family!

Do all have a marvelous Monday and week. :thumbs_up:

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am

Guinea fowls certainly are creative gardeners, MM :lol:
Enjoy the quiet day and the shopping.

I see we might have rain from Monday - Wednesday next week too, Sir :D

Looking forward to your mini TR 8) and your pics, Mischief.

Happy shopping and exploring, GEJ !

Looking forward to teatime, thanks Grantmissy 8)

Good luck with the drivers license, Stampie.

Lovely of you to let the real one go to Ngwenya, Elizabeth :gflower:

Happy birthday to your Grandie, Elsa :D

Good morning and a good week to you and ALL, Nkulu :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am

MATTHYS wrote:Guinea fowls certainly are creative gardeners, MM :lol:
Enjoy the quiet day and the shopping.
I see we might have rain from Monday - Wednesday next week too, Sir :D
Looking forward to your mini TR 8) and your pics, Mischief.
Happy shopping and exploring, GEJ !
Looking forward to teatime, thanks Grantmissy 8)
Good luck with the drivers license, Stampie.
Lovely of you to let the real one go to Ngwenya, Elizabeth :gflower:
Happy birthday to your Grandie, Elsa :D
Good morning and a good week to you and ALL, Nkulu :gflower:

:gflower: Good morning Matthys + all Mites.....Ditto to all the above. :dance: :D
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:51 am

Good morning :D , Philip :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

Good morning Stampie, Hugh, Elsa, Matthys and Philip. Thank you Hugh :k for providing the flasks of hot water for the tea and coffee and a cooler box with some fizzy drinks at the lookout point at tea time. The other day I saw a vintage coffee flask but it still has a cork stopper. Not sure if it will be effective as the modern steel ones of today though as the cork looked a bit brittle to me :hmz: . But whether it is a cutting edge high tech new one or an old fashioned one a coffee flask and a tin of condensed milk biscuits are highly advantageous for any traveller in the Kruger Park.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:43 am

Grantmissy wrote:The other day I saw a vintage coffee flask but it still has a cork stopper. Not sure if it will be effective as the modern steel ones of today though as the cork looked a bit brittle to me :hmz: .

:hmz: One like this one Grantmissy? :)
download.jpg
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Sun is still shining and tea/coffee was great at the look out point .. (if only we were there )
Hello Pheeelip .. mountain looks great today and I wonder if the annual service to the cable car is now complete .. as its a great time to go up the mountain.
Been to Dog park and the hounds are exhausted as there were two other beagles there and they ran and ran and ran then a little black doggy joined them and the beagles then made a pack and hounded the black dog into a corner .. lots of ahroooing went on too. There were about 20 dogs of various shapes and sizes there and we had lots of hoomans to talk to .Hounds out for the count on a blankie in the sun . Now I can have some forum time in peace.
Lunch is broccoli chicken with noodles Please help yourselves.
Matthysie are you kuiering still on the farm or are you back in Struisbaai?
Now I also have an assignment to send off ... forgot on Friday.. though it only has to be in at the end of the month .
I am going to scrub my bathroom today as I noticed some mildew on the tiles I have already sprayed with mildew stuff now just waiting for it to work .Then I will go into my garden the real one suggested he might mow the lawn but he now has the extra bits and bobs to put up the gutter on the Wendy house .. wants to get it done in case we get some rain sometime soon.
Having a housie the work never ends
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Return to “Chit-Chat”