Skip to Content

Willyou stop to watch the Tiny, Hopping or the not Roaring?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)

Willyou stop to watch the Tiny, Hopping or the not Roaring?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:17 am

We do.

One day we were travelling from Open Gate to Satara Camp and we saw a wild flower next to the road and we stopped to admire and photograph it. All of a sudden a big vehicle came to a halt next to us and the driver asked us in broken English, but with a very stern like voice what it is that we are looking at. I replied the flower next to the road and pointed them to it. There was a reaction in the big vehicle but I could not understand what they were talking about. I am sure from judging by the looks on their faces that it was something in the line of “these people are Idiots”.

One day we were travelling from Malelane Gate to Skukuza and a man and his very excited family slowed us down. He friendly enquired what we have seen so far. I replied that we saw a Chameleon passing the road very slowly a few meters back. The man burst out laughing loudly and said no he meant Lions!!! - but - Cheers!!!

Another day on our way from Lower-Sabie to Nkumbe look-out point we stopped to look at the big and impressive spider webs in the field. A Gentleman and a Lady stopped next to us and the Lady asked in a very soft voice where are the lions that we are looking at. I tried my best to reply in a equally soft voice “no we are looking at the spider webs”. Both the Gentleman and Lady went like this :roll: :roll: in a almost not visible way and elegantly drove off.

I am just wondering if other forum members also stop to look at the tiny and small as well?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Porridge
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Re: Willyou stop to watch the Tiny, Hopping or the not Roari

Unread post by Porridge » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

Most definitely, GM :thumbs_up:

I've blocked the road on numerous occasions to allow a tortoise or chameleon to cross safely, spent 15 minutes at a small bush that had about 30 butterflies on and around it and never mind the times I've stopped to get pics of a bird with exactly the same response from people stopping to find out what we were looking at.

For me the bush is about all things, not just the Big 5.
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

Cricket@Skukuza 2-3 March 2018

Ooruil

Unread post by Ooruil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:32 am

Chameleons are one of my favourite things to see. Always try to pull my car to try and protect them when they are crossing roads. Also, agamas, frogs/toads and tortoises. Glad to hear im not alone Porridge :)

Have also received very dubious looks when stopping to admire the myriad of activity of dungbeetles and such in piles of dung.

Another pleasure is to sit and watch butteflies at puddles in the road after a refreshing bout of rain.

We also regularly have times when we actively hunt specific rare trees or flowers we know would be in bloom at the time. Regularly makes for irrate passersby. Hehe

Has anyone ever spent some time looking at the actions of those giant land snails? Or is it just me?

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

Welcome to the forums Ooruil :D I am glad that you also look at the many other wonders of the Kruger National Park :thumbs_up:

Porridge wrote:For me the bush is about all things
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm

I also stop for any little critters as well, also get some of those looks when answering peeps what I'm looking at :slap:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:39 pm

Welcome Ooruil Nice to see you .
I have told this story before But the real one and I were just parked under the Shade of a tree just watching whatever happened to be around when a large tourist bus came screeching to a halt and the driver said what are we looking at .. I felt a little naughty and said LIONs over threreeeee. Well the bus load of little people all rushed to the one side and clicked away for about 5 minutes thanked us and drove off. Very pleased with themselves . Wait till they check their photos .. they will see grass and grass and grass .!!
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of algebra … !!!!!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 pm

:lol: That is naughty :lol:

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Hugh maybe there were lions and you didn't see them :lol: :lol:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

MxM
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MxM » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:31 pm

In KTP and near Satara in KNP I often stop to take pics of trees as a part of sunset or landscapes, positioning the car however, I need to get the angle right (I am at least quite quick so I do not really hold up traffic).

SO has become accustomed to say to lion-seekers, "No, he is just looking at some small brown bird". 8) :D Who knows, it might be a new one for me... To avoid all this, I have considered having a magnetic bumper sticker made that reads something like, "I stop for larks and pipits" (even if I cannot really tell much more than that often).

Anyhow, anything that looks good in its surroundings gets my attention: a chameleon on an open branch is better than a lion in thick grass!

John
Moments by Mullineux Photography
Photographer, nature lover, birder

Follow my solo KTP photographic and birding TRAVEL TALE

Photograph all moments of beauty not to forget, but treasure them in your heart to remember

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:58 pm

We once stopped at a water hole to do some bird watching when a car with four young guys arrived (without shirts and a beer in the hand) They asked me what I was looking at and I replied "just behind that tree is a couple of tits, boobies and lovebirds" What, where!! came the excited reply. They were obviously not birders.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

:lol: perhaps you have taught them a nature lesson on that day Rooies and one or more of them became enthusiastic bird watchers. I am sometimes amazed at how some young children at picnic spots and in camps can correctly identity and name birds andd trees :clap:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:30 am

Rooies wrote:We once stopped at a water hole to do some bird watching when a car with four young guys arrived (without shirts and a beer in the hand) They asked me what I was looking at and I replied "just behind that tree is a couple of tits, boobies and lovebirds" What, where!! came the excited reply. They were obviously not birders.

:funny:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 am

One day we were traveling behind overseas visitors who just entered the Kruger Park with us and a ground squirrel crossed the road. The got very excited asking us with smiling faces whether we have seen the Chipmunk :) . They obviously enjoyed seeing the small lively critter. In Letaba Camp there were German visitors looking at he squirrels playing in the trees but they called them something like “boom rotte”.

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Philip1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 am

:twisted: Just love it when we looking at something and a car stop next to us, and the question comes... "Where, what are you looking at?". Our reply, oh those tiny purple flowers or ants etc. The look on the faces and the speed the car pulls away, just hilarious.Image
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name of the Year (2017)

Unread post by Stampajane » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:54 am

I, too, notice the minutiae of natural life around me and feel sorry for those people who have no wonder and awe for the world in which we all exist.

Return to “Chit-Chat”