Skip to Content

Truly wild places in a SANPark

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Truly wild places in a SANPark

Unread post by Rooies » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Meandering Mouse started a lovely topic about the best kept secrets and I thought to myself, how about a place in one of our parks where you get the feeling of being a pioneer. A spot so far and remote, that you must be the first person that have ever seen it.

To me it is the Ystervark Rant - High plateau, south of the Olifants and close to the boundary with the private reserves. I often sit on a hill not far from there and wonder what secrets does that place hold or what drama is happening there with nobody to observe it.

According to one of the older rangers, the Bangu area east of Balule is such a place.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

MATTHYS

Re: Truly wild places in a SANPark

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:23 pm

I love MM's topic and I am hoping that you will be getting forumites revealing their truly wild places here, Rooies 8)
aquila non capit muscas

Afriphile

Unread post by Afriphile » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 pm

If you have been lucky enough to do the Sweni Wilderness trail,then there is a lookout that the guides often take you to for sundowners.
This is called Teds'Place and it is named after the legendary ranger Ted Whitfield.
Apparently when he was the section ranger at Nwanetsi,he would often camp for the night there,with his family.
The view is superb,no sign if humans,and the sense of peace and nature is overwhelming.
This would be my "truly wild" place in Kruger.
I'm going all nostalgic just talking about it!!
Afriphile.

colbol

Unread post by colbol » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:05 am

I agree with Afriphile on this spot, :thumbs_up: It was special and our guide had been an anti poaching ranger who used to camp out in this region.
Really had me thinking about the wild parts and living out there.
The other place that set me thinking about the big wild expanse was Tsanga Lookout overlooking the Bateleur Bushcamp area. Magnificent and lonely.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 am

Rooies, thank you this is a super thread. :thumbs_up:

I am going to agree with colbol about Tsanga look out. It has a very unique atmosphere. Red Rocks, quite close to Tsanga is similar in the sense of wilderness.

A place in the south that always has an affect on me is 'The Stevenson Hamilton Memorial'. I often visit when I am alone and sit a while to thank the good man. I can understand why he wanted this as his resting place. Strangely, I have never felt fear when visiting alone. It is like a Cathedral written by nature..
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:29 am

That is the true magic of Kruger.....there are so many spots remote from roads and signs of human activity.......have been privileged to go to a number of them because of getting out on foot and doing backpacks. The Mphongolo trail has some of the wildest, most remote areas in the park. On the Nyarhi Rustic Camp we visit 2 places - Nyarhi Springs, and Meditation Point - which have a special feeling to them too.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:45 am

Although a road well travelled,the upper S39 Timbavati Loop travelling north has some special moments when you wind through the bush and the river is to you right.
Ah yes the magic of Kruger!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:17 am

Adding onto Mischief's S39, there is a lttle track that leads off that road down to the river.
Parked next to the river you do get the feeling of being completely isolated and as if you are the only people in the park.
We must have sat there for over half an hour the one day and just as we were about to leave, one last scan with the binos revealed a Leopard in the tree on the opposite side. 8)

Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Guinea Pig » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:18 am

Any of the gravel roads connecting Tihongonyeni/Mooiplaas/any of the Nshawu waterholes east of Mopani. 8)

I criss-crossed them last week and there are moments you get "worried" while travelling on your own. :lol:
Looking forward 5 nights at Satara in November. :dance:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am

Guinea Pig wrote:Any of the gravel roads connecting Tihongonyeni/Mooiplaas/any of the Nshawu waterholes east of Mopani

Fully agree with you Guinea Pig :D :thumbs_up:

Also a Sanparks wild place for me is the Tshanga Lookout in the Northern Kruger National Park.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:38 am

It's wonderful that people still find that one (and more) truly wild place in Kruger. :dance: :dance:

I have to break the Kruger spell and say Kgalagadi and Richtersveld.

After reading the book, Gee my n man, I can imagine how it must have felt being a pioneer in KTP. Those caves and old ruins just before Kamfersboom is a spot I love to sit and do some dreaming. How difficult it must have been to survive there. How long a trip to Upington took. What kind of planning you had to make in order to get just basic groceries in time.

Driving in Richtersveld and in some places you wonder whether you are still on an actual road, you can imagine yourself being a pioneer!!! Why would any settler for that matter decide to live there, other than it has a unique beauty. This is a place where your soul can be free. where you can forget about all today's worries.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 am

Lion Queen.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am going to add a place that just blew me away and that is the Shilowa area. It feels so ancient. It is not just the wilderness, there is a real feeling of prehistory.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm

My true wild spot is in Kgalagadi at Polentswa campsite. We have experienced it a few times that we are the only campers there for the night and no other people on the roads near the campsite from 3 pm to 10 am with no sole close-by except the wild animals visiting your unfenced camp-site. Best spot to wait for the elusive one is Kousant nearby. Belive that was one of the place Gus Mills used to camp at for his hyaena research in the 70 - 80's.

If you move more north-west towards Swart pan area you will get a much wilder feel.

Gharagab and Bitterpan 2nd on the list.
Jan 2018: Next trip to KNP - Tamboti, Talamati, Maroela and Satara

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 pm

I found a lovely spot on the S90 just a few Km from Balule where the Hlahleni river crosses the road and there is a pool on the western side of the road. I saw a giant eagle owl come and drink there late one afternoon.

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 am

I agree with Lion Queen - Kgalagadi and Richtersveld. But the winner by a hairs breadth must be Richtersveld. It is truly wild and even camping at a place like De Hoop, gazing out over the river at the blue mountains in the distance, one gets a feeling of being the first person to ever see them. S I G H........
Maybe, just maybe we'll go back there one day :pray:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Shingwedzi 30 Aug - 16 Sep 2017
Punda Maria 16 Sep - 23 Sep 2017

Return to “Chit-Chat”