Skip to Content

Chatting down by the River

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Chatting down by the River

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 am

Good Morning Mites, Tea, coffee and rusks in the blue tin, please help yourself to as many seconds as you wish
Have a very good day and week.
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings, while others are adding up their troubles

Tamboti 20-25 September 2017

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Chatting down by the River

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:28 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
Nkuku thank you for the early morning refreshments,have a great day and even a better week.
Got a message early evening from our Neighbourhood What's App group that water supply will be switched off as from 8.00 am today until Wednesday 5 pm for critical/crucial maintenance :rtm: :rtm: :rtm: The original notification was no water from 5 pm to midnight on Mon,Tues and Wednesday :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Luckily we have 25 litre bottles that we always keep filled and we just filled the bath up.We only drink bottled water anyway ...so not really a train smash,just the inconvenience!
Elizabeth and the Real One, I really applaud the way you manage the household around the water crisis :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Managed to do the downloading of photos of our trip so have a lovely day and feast your eyes on these beauties ...........

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 am

Morning all! Tea and ginger bics in the simplex next to the botanical gardens. Time to get up to another day of 'nesting' and meeting folk and, and, and........ No trouble keeping occupied, Mischief!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 am

Good morning mites,wishing y'all a lovely day and a super week :gflower:

Thanks for the coffee and rusks Nkulu, definitely having seconds :thumbs_up:

Nice pics Mischief, well spotted on the leppie !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:23 am

Good morning Nkulu :gflower: thank you for the coffee and rusks in the blue tin :D , Good morning Mischief :gflower: I hope the maintenance for the water will go well and maybe they will be finished earlier with the work Your photographs that you took during your recent visit to the Kruger Park is beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap: Good morning GEJ :gflower: and enjoy your day Hugh :gflower: I did not know about the Swiss railway journeys I must go and check if the dvd’s are available to order :hmz: . A person could see so many interesting things. Like a young girl who planted apple pips in their English garden in 1809. The tree is still alive today and still bearing Bramley cooking apples. The people of the town is very proud of this tree and there is even The Bramley Apple Inn which is located just a few doors away from the original apple tree for weary travellers. The proud people of and visitors to the town are fond to sit outside the Inn and eat apple pie. Good morning Billy :D and good morning everybody and may it be a good Monday for all :gflower:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks for the early morning treats :D and a good day and week to ALL :gflower:

Love your pics :clap: , thanks Mischief :D !
aquila non capit muscas

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am

Good morning all! I feel as if I've lost something - granddaughter was here all last week Mon-Sun and the house seems very quiet (and tidy) without her!! She is on school holiday until early-September, so I'm sure she will be back here soon.

We had a lovely week - we went to Rietvlei Nature Reserve on Thursday. What a lovely spot it is, even if not a National Park. Wedged between two highways and housing estates, it is a large area of dams and grassland. Well-worth a visit from Pretoria, Johannesburg and Midrand.

The other days we rode, walked dogs etc. On Friday we went to meet SA's Olympic dressage rider, who is based in Germany and who has taught at my place on previous trips and has met Ayla and me before. Ayla ended up taking part in a photo shoot with Tanya!! Not many 7 year olds can say they have hugged an Olympic rider!!! Ayla definitely has a penchant for modelling and I think that should be pursued (a good way to earn money!). Her other granny has a modelling agency and my daughter, Ayla's mum, is in advertising.

GEJ - I hope the nesting is going well. Good that you are meeting other folk. Have you found a church that you like yet?

Michief - good luck with the water cut-off. We are lucky, we have borehole which we live on 100% but have the option of switching to Municipal if there is a power cut and the borehole can't be used. Important for us to have water with all the animals and staff! Once we had a fright, when a vehicle somehow managed to bring down the power lines AND fracture the Municipal water pipes up the road - no water for a few hours, but Eskom and Jhb Water actually acted very quickly and we were OK before too long..

Spring definitely in the air! Cold snap forecast for Wednesday - Friday. S..'s Law - I'm having the doggy parlour come today to clip my Spaniel X and my old horse and Ayla's pony are being clipped on Wednesday! The horse and pony will just have to wear rugs again for a few nights until it warms up again.

Have a good week, everyone. I'll drop in now and again.
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am

Good morning and good to have you dropping in, Hippotragus :D
Your precious Grandie sounds delightful and very talented and I can understand you missing her !

I wonder how our dear Mouse's Bikrum went ?
aquila non capit muscas

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 am

A very good morning everyone!

Quite overcast here today!

That really is a long time without water but good that you are prepared Mischief.
Beautiful memories of your trip!

Sounds like you had a very special week with your grandie Hippotragus!

And to GM for your interesting history lessons! 8)

Do all have a marvelous Monday and wonderful week. :thumbs_up:

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 am

Morning all.
Nip in air and the sun is shining and we will be off to Dog Park shortly Hope not too many people there .
Mischief I will tell you how to save water ... though you seem to be well organised .
Nkulu I just re boiled the kettle and had another cup of coffee .
Morning Matthysie . how is Walter after yesterdays chilly walk
GM I wonder if you can order those Swiss railway journeys Its very interesting and of course the scenery is awesome... we love to do the real thing as you can buy a Swiss pass and travel for either 8 days or 21 days etc . and its a hoho system and this includes the boats and the Post buses and the town buses . If you have to buy tickets separately its far more expensive and its also includes some of the funicular railways up the mountains ad also you get a discount of the cable lifts too. no need for a car . we also stay on farms and really out of the way places. OOps this is not Sanparks .... :redface:
HippoT did you ever see that video on FB of that dressage . It was amazing If I can find it I will post it . Every time the music changed the horse did different steps . the rider hardly seemed to move and it was exactly in time to the music
Morning Elsa I see Mouse sweating away there .. and thinking why is she doing this to herself !! GEJ have a great day meeting and its a real change to your life
Morning Sir and all those still to come
11 oclock tea at the stables with Hippotragus and she can give us a demonstration ... that would be fun .
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:30 am

:gflower: Good morning Nkulu, Mischief, Goggo EJ, Billyf, Grantmissy, Matthys, Hippotragus, Elsa, Hugh, Sanparks Staff, Guests and everyone to follow. :D
Wish you all a Happy day and week. :dance:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:15 pm

Hugh - that dressage sounds like the Musical Kur. When performed at Olympic level, it looks like ballet. I love the one time tempis - when the horse changes the leading leg on every stride at the canter. The riders get the music specially recorded to match the horse's steps and they ride to the music. I have watched a lot on TV, Olympics, World Equestrian Games etc., but never watched "live" at that level.

Enjoy your dog walkies, Hugh. We walked ours on Saturday and Ayla and I took them on hound exercise yesterday., so a well-deserved rest day today. The doggie parlour came and clipped Jenny, the Spaniel X, and she looks ready for spring.
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Good afternoon everyone.

I have such a craving for chocolate eclairs. Please help yourselves. I got some specially from Fournos Bakery. They are my favorites.

Mischief, that is a looong time without water. :big_eyes: Nice piccies, the color on the water is just too beautiful. :thumbs_up:

Hippotragus, I am amazed at how lovely Rietvlei is, given its proximity to such a built up area. I used to go often as a child. My father was a very keen angler. I see it is still a well used fishing spot.

Hugh, enjoy walkies. My dogs are really nagging me, as they did not get their early morning stroll.

Bikrum actually went surprisingly well. I expected to really struggle, but the body really does retain memory...a bit like horse riding, or bicycle riding.

It is a lovely day outside. I was very excited to see that a group of Babblers seem to have moved into the neighborhood. My goodness they are noisy.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:10 pm

MM, I guess that's why they're called babblers.

Afternoon everyone.
Finally manage to find a moment to sit down and chat.
I've been cleaning the roof and gutters with GA in readiness for the rains (hopefully soon), taking Mom shopping, then cleaning out the fridge as I emptied it this morning because we were expecting the repair man. It was quite embarrassing to see how much gunk the fridge had accumulated once it was emptied out. Anyway, it's all sparkling clean now and has a new thermostat so should be all good for the foreseeable.

Glad your bikrum went well, MM. Hope the exercise helps with your aches and pains.

I love your photos Mischief. That's an awful long time to be without water. I do hope they get you back on line sooner than Wednesday afternoon otherwise I imagine White River will be a little pongy with all the unwashed bodies and unflushed toilets.

Hippotragus, your little Ayla is so lucky to have you as her granny. I bet she had a wonderful week on the farm with the dogs and horses.

This last weekend was the world line dance championship and the oldest competitor was an 88 year old lady from Gauteng! She competed in the newcomer division which meant that she has just started competing. Just shows, you're never too old!

Better get a move on. I must get supper done and take GA & HA to the taxi rank so I can get to dance class later on.

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 pm

And to GM for your interesting history lessons! 8)

Always interesting, Elsa !
Smoking is not good for you, but I can picture you with a pipe :wink: whilst telling these lovely stories, Grantmissy .

Walter is fine and does his own walkies on to the dunes and back during the day, Elizabeth :D The beach house is not fenced in.
Am sure your doggies enjoyed their walkies today 8)

Hope you still have (though I doubt it :lol: ) some of those yummy eclairs, MM !
:clap: for your body's memory 8)

You had a busy, productive day, Stampie :gflower:
Enjoy tonight's dancing.

Good evening Philip, ALL :gflower:
I hope Sir will be here early, but until then, I have delish SIL :k made venison dried wors for you to munch on.

I am getting worried about and do miss having Terry here :(
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Chit-Chat”