Skip to Content

Chatting down by the river

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Chatting down by the river

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:48 am

Morning all.

There is tea/coffee/milk/cream/honey and more fresh buttermilk rusks.

Welcome Cape of Storms, this is a place to help with homesickness.

Della, enjoy the Satara locals. If you get a chance, give my love to the S39. 8)

Matthys, I am so sorry to hear about your back again. I do hope that you have some relief soon.

I think that there are lots of disappointed folk in Cape Town right now. I can understand the orgaizers dilemma though. It would not be a matter of whether there would be deaths, but rather, how many deaths.

In my younger years, it was not mini skirts for me. I rode a motorbike....in Cape Town. One day I fell over and broke my wrist. I then decided that this really was a killer machine for me. It was also how I picked up the name, 'macho mouse', my first forum name. As I am barely able to touch the ground, even on a smaller bike, you will understand that it was one of my wiser decisions.

I still love the purr of a motorbike starting up though. 8)

On that wild note, I wish you a wonderful week ahead. :gflower:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Trrp-trrrrrrrr
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Chat down by the river

Unread post by Trrp-trrrrrrrr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:27 am

Good morning all :D

Coffee is doing the trick on this Monday morning...Thanks MM 8)

Della enjoy your Kruger stay :dance:

Nice to see you pop in here CoS :thumbs_up:

Still windy our side today....Do have a great day everyone and start to the new week!
The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author unknown

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:31 am

Good morning mites, from a windy Strand, may your week be great :gflower:
Thanks for the super coffee and rusks Ms Mouse. so glad you switched from 2 wheels to 4 :D
Back from chasing the little white ball all over George and Plett, had a wonderful time with old friends :D

To all those nursing aches and pains, may you enjoy a speedy recovery :k
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 am

Morning all! Tea and ginger bics in the caravan with bush view. Francolins shouting outside......

Hair repair this morning and then preparation for the KNP Orientation course next week.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 am

Good Morning Early Birds and all still to follow, may your week be awesome :gflower:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Pretoriuskop 16-18 June 2017

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:31 am

Good morning MM thank you for the Monday morning refreshments :gflower: . I have read about massive waves in Durban and howling winds in the Western Cape - here the weather is sunny and mild but it will get to an expected 30 degrees later today. No rain forecasted. MM it must have been good riding on a motorbike through Cape Town a few years ago 8) . What sense of freedom :dance: . My Sisters also wore mini skirt plus platform shoes plus they had teased their hair into a beehive with plenty of sticky hair varnish on. Even in strong winds their hair still remained intact also when they did the twist and the popular shuffle dance routines. I was younger than them. I never greased my hair flat with brylcream. Della you Mother :k was very wise to mix and match or rather remain with one colour thus creating a comfortable reassuring illusion as those skirts were very short way back then :doh: . It is good to “see” you Cape of Storms :D Good morning Trrp :k , Good morning Billy I am glad that you enjoyed your travels and being in the company of friends, please order the flippen nice snacks early for the cocktail hour in the refurbished pub, Good morning GEJ in the caravan with a bush view, I wish I was in the Kruger National Park right now, Good morning Nkulu and Good morning everyone :gflower: Hugh :k will our 11 o’clock tea be served at 11 as usual? I will bring a lemon tart. Stampie and Elsa is the sea still rough this morning :hmz: Mischief and PNF how is the weather in Limpopo and the Lowveld?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:03 am

Good morning everyone :k , I'm back at long last, hopefully for good this time :pray:

Saga with little sister is over I'm afraid, she was coming on nicely when her useless husband arrived at the care center, packed her up and took her home :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: myself and my other sister were furious about it but it turns out that she asked him to take her home, I feel he should have refused as she needs a lot of care as she can't do anything for herself :cry:
I got her a walker and was slowly trying to teach her to walk again and we were managing a few steps further everyday
Well one can't help people that don't want to be helped I'm afraid now they must live with thier decision

I'm sorry to hear about your back Matty, I hope the physio can give you some relief :k

Welcome Cape of storms, enjoy all the chatting and eating here with us :gflower:

Wow I hope all our Cape mites haven't been blown away, :big_eyes: pity about the Cape argus but it was the best thing to do to cancel it

Well the breakfast is ready for you all, lots of extras for your 4 legged kids too :dance: :dance:

Have a lovely day everyone :gflower:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:08 am

Good morning Carol :k May your Sister :k be OK. Is there perhaps some of the creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast that you always cook so perfect?
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
MM or should I say Wild Thing thank you for our early morning refreshments.
GM no chance of rain today,though temperatures are cooler than yesterday and there seem to be hazy clouds painted across the sky.
Stampie you seem to have the painting bug at the moment but good idea to do cupboards before the doors are hung.
GEJ hope that foot is absolutely no bother to you when you do your bush camp on Thursday
Weather in coastal cities was quite crazy yesterday with 100km/h winds in CT...all reports I read actually were totally in favour of the organizers having cancelled the Argus.....although it was the 40th anniversary celebration.At least all the food and drinks were going to be donated to people in Hout Bay who had been affected by the fires.
Stampie that huge wave that crashed down all over the Promenade must have been frightening as well.Spin off from the cyclone that hit Madagascar.
Billy dear,nice to have you back with us.Hope you enjoyed your white ball time away.No dilly dallying or trafficking tonight please and some lovely seafood snacks from Flippen Nice will really hit the spot.
Matty take care of that back today,a tube of Arnica Gel always helps provides relief to hubby's knees and back after a hectic day in the factory.
How about 11 o clock tea on the benches overlooking the Sabie River at Lower Sabie.I will bring sausage rolls.
Have a great week everybody :k Hi Carol so nice to hear from you again!
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 am

Good morning. :D
"Greet every morning with open arms and say thanks every night with a full heart. Each day is a precious gift to be savored and used, not left unopened and hoarded for a future that may never come". - Regina Brett
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Chatting down by the river

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 am

Morning all .
Cape of storms we do have *clink* time every evening at the pub ( at billyf's place) Nice little place too and always have what's ordered So do join us about 5pm and even though that is somewhere in the middle of your day who cars as its virtual you can drink any time.
Oh hello all . those KZN coastal mites Stampie and Elsa must really have had high tides . would be quite impressive to watch.
Mischiefx2 are you and the SO all over the sniffles . Love to fluffy mischief
Alet and Pheeelip I feel the wind has dropped somewhat today but its still blowing . Sun is of course shining brightly .Nurses uniforms do not do well in the wind especially wearing a cap The nursing accommodation for the college was just off Adderley street and we had to walk daily to the college that was about 2km away and it was something to keep decent as in those days, suspender belt s and stocking were the order of the day.
Carol, I am sorry that sisters hubby was so stubborn .. she really should have stayed for a little longer in professional care .
ta for the Brekkie it was delish
Mouse I went round Chapmans peak on the back of a scooter ( a friend of cuz Roberts ) and this was the old Chapmans peak road .. rather scary but what fun .This Chappie then bought a gogamobile and we all had to climb out when we went back to your aunt Jean as the road up at kloof neck was too steep and we were too heavy so we pushed it up and the poor little thing revved away. those were the days .
GM and hw are we today ?? you need a holiday in the Cape this Cape doctor blows all bugs away .
Nkulu you join GM
GEJ I wish I was a fly on the wall to listen that course all over again . then I could ask some questions
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am

A very good Morning everyone!

Overcast here today, no wind so far and I could hear the waves pounding away during the night.
I haven't heard of any further flooding due to the surge of yesterday but sure the authorities are busy with lots of clean up today all along the coast line.

Welcome back Carol, sorry about the situation with your sister, a pity indeed.
but :gflower: for looking after her all this time.

I used to also ride on the back of my boyfriend's (now hubby) buzz bike back in my youth, lovely memories. 8)

Will be off to one of our regular "Tea for Ten" functions in a little bit, being held at one of the local restaurants as our com centre is busy being renovated and not user friendly currently.

Do all have a marvelous Monday and week. :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

Tessa G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tessa G » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am

Good morning all .....and yes the wind keeps a blowin' :whistle: :whistle:
Another fire started towards the Hottentot Holland yesterday and I can still see it burning, despite the efforts of 2 helicopters and a plane, plus ground staff. :(
My weather forecast gadget on my phone tells me we can expect rain on Wednesday.... :pray: :pray: :pray: They are not expecting our drinking water to go past May!!! :shock:

On a much brighter note, I am back into my cake baking but with a difference....I bake a cake, take 1 slice and then hand out to family and friends, so mites I have a few slices of a Chocolate and Ginger cake that I baked yesterday still sitting on the counter....pleeez come a grab a slice or two before I am tempted to eat it.
I am keen to learn how to do piping etc, but classes are something like R3000 so will have to teach myself off the internet. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Well MM, you sound like quite the girl in your youth. I can just picture you buzzing round on your bike. :dance: :dance:

Wow those tides in KZN did look really frightening. I have seen some video clips on FB and I couldnt believe it :shock:

Sorry to hear about your back Matty. Much love and I hope it gets better soon. :gflower:

What a shame about your sister Carol. One cant interfere though and must leave people with the decisions they have made. It must be very frustrating for you though.

I leave to see the Grandies in JHB on 6/4 and they are so excited about that, as am I. :dance: :dance: A bit of green and the wet stuff will be a welcome break.

Have a great day and week ahead everyone. :k
Current TR: The Awakening of a Parched Kruger - Tessa & Dave Dec 2016/17
TR: Swathes of Colour at West Coast National Park
TR: 23 Days with Tessa & Dave - From Head to Tail DEC 2015

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 am

Good morning all.
Overcast and pleasantly cool here.

Tessa, I spent a night in Jhb last week and all the Cape delegates were looking forward to was having a good hot shower with plenty of water! Hope your rains come soon.

Welcome back Carol. I'm sure you must be really worried that your little sister will be okay.

Glad you had a great weekend chasing those little white balls, Billy.

Mischief, I think we'll have to move morning tea to Satara. Della is up there now.

I, too, rode a motorbike in my youth. My dad had several so it was a given that I would use one once I started work. It used to cost me R1 to fill the tank every week! And motorbikes was what attracted me to SO. We still have a bike although we don't ride all that much anymore.

Have a great day, everyone.

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am

Hi ALL :gflower:

I'm back from pic n pay just in time for tea with Dellac at Satara, I'm bring a chocolate cake with me just in case the late mug & bean hasn't got any :doh:

I have never been on a motorbike, nearest was my bicycle, road it and fell off a couple of times :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the good wishes for my sister, like you say one can't interfere with thier decision I'm afraid but it's still very worrying :cry:

HA is vacuuming around me again :doh: stuck in the corner till she's done :lol:

I do hope the fires in the Cape can be brought under control soon, the wind isn't helping tho

See you all in a while :gflower:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Return to “Chit-Chat”