Skip to Content

Around the camp fire for a chat

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Around the camp fire for a chat

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 am

Morning all.

Lets have a Cradle river view today. I have prepared the new week caffeine tray with fresh rusks.

COS, what a lovely place. 8) Those raccoons sound like real rascal though. At least vervets sleep at night. You certainly had your hands full.

Hugh, I don't like the sound of the footprints. :hmz: Do you have a mobile alarm?

Chirinda, :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: on that blood pressure. That really is stroke stuff.

Della, it is amazing to think of those little fluff balls ready to fly the nest.

I have a fairly busy day. I am working this morning and will be meeting Kirst later for her first bridal fitting. We will probably have some lunch together first. I can't believe that we are so close to the wedding date.

Anyway, I do wish you all a super day. Take care. :gflower:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Around the camp fire for a chat

Unread post by billyf » Mon May 22, 2017 4:39 am

Good morning all, wishing you a lovely day :gflower:
Thanks for the Coffee and rusks from the Cradle Ms Mouse :thumbs_up:

COS, it sounds like you really enjoyed the camp, raccoons and all !!
Safe travels Elsa, Jock and Klystron !!
Elizabeth and Hugh, please do take care, don't like the sound of the wall hopper :k
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 am

Good Morning Mites, have a lovely day and very good week :gflower:
I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Pretoriuskop 16-17June 2017
Tamboti 18 - 19 June 2017
Satara Camping 22-25 September 2017

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon May 22, 2017 6:07 am

Morning all! Tea and ginger bics in the caravan with bush view. Bit cool this morning with heavy dew, but sun coming through the clouds so it will warm up quickly.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 am

Good morn to all the mites. :hello: Hope you all have a fab week and stay W-A-R-M. It's not autumn as the official calendar says - it's definitely an early winter. Brrrrr.

As to that high-BP incident related by Chirinda, it reminds me of a little while ago at work when there was a major argument between two employees. To illustrate the supposed effect that the one was having on the other, she grabbed a home BP machine and promptly took her own blood pressure. "There!" she declared, "you see how bad you are for me!" She then worked it out and promptly declared that the other's stress effect was apparently 40%. :slap:

I'm off to bed in a while ... chat later. :wink:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Foxy
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 am

Good morning everyone

Hope you all had a good weekend

Lovely morning here again, hope these beautiful days last indefinitely.

MM enjoy your lunch with your daughter and her first wedding dress fitting, all so exciting for you.

COS, glad to see you back home but had a lovely week, raccoons must have made you feel right at home in Tamboti with H-B's.

Elsa must be on the road already, do hope they have a fantastic time in KNP and have many great sightings. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Stampie, how do your competition go ?

Have a great day everyone.

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am

Good to be back! Raccoons and honey badgers are like identical twins in behavior!

I have been sleeping like a lazy lion for two days! My eldest had a great time and was really spoilt by her dad!
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit, 2017 Trip is booked 8)
24 Jul LowerSabie
25-27 Jul Biyamiti
27-31 Jul Orpen
31 Jul - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 Aug Satara
4-7 Aug Olifants

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am

Morning all the Marvellous Mites
Lovely sunny day here today again with temperatures predicted in the high 20's.
The furry one looks much better today,feel quite relieved.Did not relish a trip to the vet!

Have a magnificent Monday everybody.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon May 22, 2017 9:03 am

Morning all
sunny here AGAIN.. I think we have been forgotten in the rain department the rains have been unequally allocated in the weather dept ..
COs glad you are back and now rested any photos of mr and mrs Racoon??
Mischief glad mischief 2 is feeling better just keep her away from the hoppits . and Mouse how is your kitty ?? hope no vet visits are needed .
Mouse tihs is exciting first fitting for the dress . I hope she doesn't change her mind about the style .. brides are allowed to do that you know .
I wonder where Stampie is .. maybe only coming home today.
OWN sleep well and if you cant sleep count those little white pillies that you hand out !!!
Morning Sir and foxy and Nkulu and GEJ and all those still to come
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Mon May 22, 2017 11:08 am

Good morning everyone.
It's a beautiful May morning here, just as it should be.

We had a great weekend, loads of hard dancing and loads of fun. We got a 2nd, 4th and 2nd for the team dances that I participated in. As for the individual dancers, competition was very stiff, especially in the more advanced categories. Several of my studio mates did very well, others not as well as expected but I guess that's how things go and better luck for next time. No one from our studio is going to the world champs this year so the competition year has ended for us and there is a little break before the new competition dances are released in September.
IMG_7122.JPG

I see I have missed pages and pages in the last few days. You'll have to fill me in on the important happenings.
COS, I could do with 2 days of lazy lioning but that's not going to happen. Sounds like the school camp was fun..

Elsa must be well on her way. I wish them safe travels and a wonderful holiday.

Love your morning pic, MM. The wedding excitement must be building, especially trying on the dress. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

IMG_7121.JPG

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Mon May 22, 2017 3:21 pm

MM awesome photo!

Mischief looks like your weather and mine are the same today!

Hugh no photos unfortunately and they are such nocturnal animals that getting them photographed is a challenge! One dad (in the boys cabin - boys got contra ban smuggled in in the form of chocolates) had two fighting each other under his bunk. The whole night he had to keep trying to get them out the cabin with only a broom as his defense and 7 freaked out little boys! Only to discover said contra ban the next day. He was not happy!

Stampie congratulations on all the great results.

Elsa safe travels!!
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit, 2017 Trip is booked 8)
24 Jul LowerSabie
25-27 Jul Biyamiti
27-31 Jul Orpen
31 Jul - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 Aug Satara
4-7 Aug Olifants

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Wow Stampie your group did well All that hard work paid off . I think we must celebrate in the pub later
Took Doughall to the Vet just for a check up and even though his ear is a bit Yucky there are no bugs in it and the bill came to just R70 for the muck that was examined under the microscope .. CC was quite happy about that now

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon May 22, 2017 3:46 pm

COS oops for that chocolate I remember taking the 50 boys to PE etc and the parents were told no sweets and no food at all and only R50 spending money WELL we arrived at the airport and the boys rushed to the shops and spent every penny on stuff Plus we found stacks of sweeties in their luggage and that night we had some very sick lads with us .. My son was one of the few who had nothing, but during the tour we watched him and he went into the storms river mouth shop and bought himself a belt as his pants kept falling down !!!! He was not one of the sick ones . Some boys asked if they could borrow money from us to buy more stuff and the answer was NO and some had a lot more than R50 rand to spend .. PARENTS just don't listen but they did not have to clean up the place when the boys were sick
Now I think its tea time soooo I have the kettle boiling some nice iced fruit juice for those that want it
I hope Elsa has arrived safely in the Park .

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Hello all!

Well all the blood, sweat and tears paid off - grand daughter got a 2nd, a 4th and a 7th at the Inter-schools Equestrian show yesterday. Blood - I stabbed myself with the sharp needle while plaiting pony's mane on Saturday - blood doesn't look too good on white pony! Sweat - Granny running, leading pony and child in 3 classes. Tears - grand daughter over-tired leading to tears!

So worried about the Cape - just heard that the whole province is now a Disaster Area. I just hope and pray that the winter rains come very soon. Some people just don't realise the situation and just assume water will come out of the tap when they turn it on!

I love this time of year in Joburg - not too cold at night (haven't lit the fire yet) and up to 25 deg C maximum.

Elsa - have a wonderful trip.

Stampie - well done! I have never liked dancing but admire your results! What style of dancing to you do - ballroom, modern??

MM - exciting times with the wedding. We've done two and, luckily, the girls and the venues did most of the organising - not my cup of tea!!
Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

billyf

Unread post by billyf » Mon May 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Good afternoon/ evening mites, good morning COs :gflower:

The pub is opening shortly, Flippen nice delivered the snacks, glasses are sparkling, wine is nicely chilled, just awaiting your presence. And every night is another celebration, congratulations on the the dance results Stampie - just for you the snacks include some special Durban ones with a bit of a bite, and I have some bubbly specially for you.
COS, there's a S.O.S. for some Seattle biltong asap - I cannot keep ahead of Mischief :doh:

So "Clink" everybody and do have a wonderful evening :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Return to “Chit-Chat”