Skip to Content

Teleconverters/extenders

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Which teleconverter to use with Canon 550D?

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 am

To be honest I would recommend none.

Your camera will use autofocus up to f/5.6. The teleconverter will take 1 (1.4x) or 2 (2x) stops of light which means that in combination with your f/4-5.6 lens you will have to use manual focus all the way.

If you decide to buy one anyway I would go for the Canon 1.4, that one does not degrade the image quality. With the 2.0 version you will see the IQ going down.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Which teleconverter to use with Canon 550D?

Unread post by timbo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm

EOS_User wrote:
Geckophobe wrote:I am in the process of buying a better camera (in stead of a good "mik en druk" ) for the first time, and I have decoded on the Canon 550D, the best deal I could find in my budget- and I have seen a number of good reviews also on this forum.

I am looking for a teleconverter to use with the canon 55-250 lens? Which would you recommend?

I stand to be corrected; but I'm sure that the 55-250 will NOT accept an extender/teleconverter. It is certainly not compatible with either of the Canon options. It 'may' accept a third-party (maybe Sigma) teleconverter; but you should test that theory first before buying.

Cheers;

Lee

As far as I know, you are absolutely correct. The 55-250 is an ef-s lens and will not be accepted by the ef converter. Canons converters are made to work with strictly ef lenses.

But I may be getting it wrong
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

PantoffelSlippers

Re: Canon 2x extender

Unread post by PantoffelSlippers » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:08 am

harrys,

Yes-that is what it does. A 2x converter doubles your focal length but it's not worth it on most lenses.

If you have a lens that is F4.0-F5.6 it means your standard lens has F5.6 at full zoom. When connected to a converter, F5.6 becomes F11 I believe. You most probably won't get autofocus to work at all and for F11 you need a lot of bright light and/or a slow shutter speed which will probably cause a blurry picture.

I have previously used an extender on my canon 100-400mm L series lens with moderate success.

My recommendation is then: only buy an extender if you have a proper lens to use it on. Preferably a lens that has F2.8 throughout it's zoom range or maybe even F4.0.

For other lens types, I'd rent an extender. If you're in Gauteng, OutdoorPhoto in Pretoria has rental options including extenders. Their prices are good and their service is excellent. You can go the rental option to test it on your own lens as well.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

WildImage
Location: Close by the South Downs National Park, Hampshire, UK

Unread post by WildImage » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi, The best combination I have is the EF 500mm f4 L IS USM with a 1.4x converter. This gives a 700mm with a focal length before taking crop factor into account (and an effective aperture of f5.6 - so autofocus can operate). I was recently in the Lake Panic Bird Hide and two other photographers had the same lens combination but with 1D MkIII & MkIV bodies (I have recently moved up to the 5D MkIII). As an alternative I use an EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM with a 2x converter (thus 140-400mm f5.6 before crop factor consideration).

One point to consider, if you can extend to it, the EOS 1D MkIII (and I assume the MkIV as well) will autofocus using the centre focus point only at f6.3. Thus the autofocus will function for the 500mm f4 plus the 2x converter. Thus, with the crop factor of the APS-H sensor, you end up with a 1300mm f6.3 lens.

Just a few more things to consider,

Richard
Richard (WildImage) - my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/r_j_veitch/

Gie me ae spark o' Nature's fire
Thats a' the learning I desire.

Robert Burns 1759 - 1796

elosonegro

Unread post by elosonegro » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 am

The 2x III will will autofocus on the 500 F4 as well with my 5D III but I use the rear focus button. It will also work with my 7D if I go to live view and use the rear autofocus but it's very slow.

hoyle

Nikon D7000 with converter?Please

Unread post by hoyle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm

Please I need help. I use my Nikor 70-200 2,8 VR in Kruger, but I need more zoom. I do not like my Nikor 80-400 lens. Would a 1.7 converter be suitable? Thanks in advance.
MAY - JUNE - 7 WEEKS
PLEASE SAVE THE RHINO

JDW

Re: Nikon D7000 with converter?Please

Unread post by JDW » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi
The 1.7 or 1.4 Nikon converter will give you further range but will also slow it down. It will also take longer to focus and you may struggle to focus at all in some circumstances.
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi Hoyle

you have a great lens in the 70-200 f2.8 and while using a 1.4 converter, you will lose a stop of light, and two stops when using a 2x converter, you should still have full functionality of all your camera's features. Personally, I would look to the latest Nikor 2x converter, which will give you a dramatic increase in reach. A potential slow-down in AF is only likely to affect capturing fast moving action such as birds in flight, but certainly not sufficient to warrant discarding the idea of using a converter when it may be needed for reach.....that lens and the D7000 can handle it.

I suggest that you go into a photo shop in PE and test one in the shop..... whether it will be better than your 80-400 remains to be seen....
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:20 pm

for a more comprehensive and more informed opinion of teleconverters, have a look at this article:
http://photographylife.com/image-degradation-with-nikon-teleconverters
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Convertors

Unread post by moobox » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Tell me people, what is the success rate with these 1.4 and 2.0 X convertors or extenders? My limited understanding of this game is that you lose some light. I have a Canon 100-400 and think maybe that's going to leave me a bit short. No? Am I looking for too much?

Cheers - Ed

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Convertors

Unread post by anne-marie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:00 pm

I have a 100x400 and tried the convertor of my nephew... I lost almost all the stabilizer :shock:
need a been bag or even more... a tripod :hmz:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Yes, you will lose at least an f stop.
You will also lose auto focus

In Kruger, 100 may be too much for animals near the road.

I have a 2x convertor and never used it for these 3 reasons.

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Greetings all
Convertors have their place.
By adding a convertor you loss at least one stop often two, you also increase the time it takes for the lens to focus, additionally you lose shutter speed.
Using Nikon/Canon convertors on primary professional lenses ie 400mm/300mm/70-200mm can have an advantage particularly reach. Because these lenses are F2.8 the loss of one stop is not a huge problem.
I have the 1.4, 1.7 and 2x convertors but only use the 1.4 and 1.7 where movement is involved. the 2x slows the focusing down and hinders the cameras ability to lock onto the target particularly when its moving.
As far as cheaper convertors are concerned - save your money - invest in better lenses.
Just the ramblings of a pensioner
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

nathalie

canon 70- 200 with converter

Unread post by nathalie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:01 pm

I have the Canon 70-200 is usm 2.8 and a 1.4 converter. You can see the differents between the photo's with or without the converter.

Now i'm able to come to South Africa in october, but i probably cant afford the Canon 100-400.
I'm thinking about the 2x converterIII to have a little bit more mm.

Has anyone experience with this combination?

WildImage
Location: Close by the South Downs National Park, Hampshire, UK

Re: canon 70- 200 with converter

Unread post by WildImage » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Nathalie,

Before I got my 500mm prime I used my 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM with a x2 MkII convertor (which I bought second hand). I have had some very good results with this combination but occasionally the focus isn't as accurate as I would like. The MkIII convertor is supposed to be better.

Richard
Richard (WildImage) - my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/r_j_veitch/

Gie me ae spark o' Nature's fire
Thats a' the learning I desire.

Robert Burns 1759 - 1796

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”