Skip to Content

Filters & Hoods

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Berkhead

Re: Filters....or no filters (Nikon)

Unread post by Berkhead » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Switchback wrote:Maybe, but I do know I would've had to replace a lens had it not been for my UV... Accidents do happen, no matter how carefull you are. Is that "little" bit of softnes you speak of (which I don't see the difference of anyway...) worth R20k or more? :hmz: For my hard earned money, no it's not, but hey, maybe for someone else it's nothing to replace a lens... :whistle:

Accidents do happen and yes lenses are expensive. Personally that is why i insure them. As a beginner I was also taught to use UV filters for protection and all I can tell you is the day that i discarded them (including a R1500 Hoya Pro Filter) was the day my photography went to the next level.

John, no one is suggesting that you don't use polarising filters. Filters certainly have their place and using them creatively to enhance/alter light when you are after a certain effect is fine. I am merely arguing against using them purely as a protective mechanism with no thought for the effect they are having on the light. My 2c...use it don't use it. :?

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I was going to buy a polarising filter (this weekend in fact) solely to be used for lanscape photography in the desert, but after reading through this thread, I am having some doubts.
Why want to buy a filter? I think its just the thing to use to bring out the contrasting colours of the landscape and the sky. I have seen some photos where these filters were used and I became very excited. I took some photos of welwitchias and were very dissapointed, as the colours were nowhere close to what it really looked like (sun sun sun, nowhere to hide)
What do you think?
Thank you - B

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:54 am

Personally I have no issues with using Polarised filters for landscape photography. Also, if you don't have one and you are shooting in harsh light, tune down your Exposure Value a bit.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Full agree with Switchback on this matter. I stopped using UV filters and exclusively use polarized filters on all my glass, including with my 300 mm f2.8. Takes a little getting used to but then really gives you some great satisfaction and great results.
I use a D80 and two D90's.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Mars

Re: filters - High sunlight Which

Unread post by Mars » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 pm

came across this, was so long ago lol. things like dropping iso, increasing shutter speed and underexposing before hand might also help for who ever reads this now and needs the same advise

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”