Skip to Content

Point and Shoot Digital Camaras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
mitch

Point and Shoot Digital Camaras

Unread post by mitch » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi Everyone.

My Girlfriend is looking at getting a camera for our trip to Kruger in July, aswell as for everyday use. She does not want anything as big and complicated as a DSLR. Basically something that can fit in her hand bag if need be.

What do you recommend is the best Point and shoot/Non DSLR out there on the market?

Thanks for everything
Mitch
Crocodile Bridge 2 nights 26/12/2012
Tamboti 2 nights 28/12/2012
Satara 5 nights 30/12/2012
Skukuza 3nights 04/01/2013
Malelane 4 nights 07/01/2013
Protea Hotel Kruger Gate 2 nights 11/01/2013

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:39 pm

As you want the best:

Canon Powershot G7.

Why? Look here....
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 pm

My girlfriend has a Panasonic Lumix Z50
Great tele (leica lens)
Good, sharp and great pictures.
Nice image stab.
You can shoot in RAW, which she does.
But above ISO 200 you get a bit of digital noise.
And if you use RAW the camera also makes big JPG files.
16 mb. And thus it take roughly 2-3 seconds to write to file.
Thats the only major drawback.

But if you use it as JPG camera its tops

mitch

Unread post by mitch » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback

The G7 is definitely high on the list.

And the Panasonic Z50 looks really good aswell. Maybe a bit bulky. Is the quality good at 12x zoom?

Does anyone know about or have any experience with the Powershot S3?
Crocodile Bridge 2 nights 26/12/2012
Tamboti 2 nights 28/12/2012
Satara 5 nights 30/12/2012
Skukuza 3nights 04/01/2013
Malelane 4 nights 07/01/2013
Protea Hotel Kruger Gate 2 nights 11/01/2013

Freda

Unread post by Freda » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:30 pm

I have the Powershot S2 and love it :D
Have a great trip!

Muhammad
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Muhammad » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:12 pm

i use to use a Canon 3is,lovley camera.now using a Canon G7...
even better camera.... comparisons below

Canon 3is

Canon G7

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:51 am

I have the S1 and for wildlife shots I found it fantastic. The S2 and S3 are just improvements on a good concept.

However I struggle to fit it into my handbag as it's a bit bulky and you can forget about a pocket. Also I found it wasn't that great for landscapes.

I will always advocate going into a local shop to physically get hold of your options - just to see if one is heavier or doesn't "fit" into your hands.

francoisd

Unread post by francoisd » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:36 am

Mitch it I don’t know what price range and zoom capability you are looking at but having a quick look around keeping in mind that your girlfriend wants to fit it in her bag maybe look at one of these. Many of them have been mentioned.

I list the cameras with 6X optical zoom and higher. In brackets optical zoom, 35mm equivalent, pixels, dimensions

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 (10X optical zoom; 35-350mm, 5.0 million pixels, 2.3 x 4.4 x 1.6" (59 x 112 x 41mm)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 (6X optical zoom; 37-222mm, 6.0 million pixels, 2.5 x 3.9 x 1.8" (62 x 100 x 45mm))
Canon PowerShot G7 (6X optical zoom; 37-210mm, 10 million pixels, 2.9 x 4.2 x 1.7" (72 x 107 x 43mm) – looks like the best of the bunch but also the most expensive
Nikon Coolpix S10 (10X optical zoom; 38mm - 380mm, 6.0 million pixels, 2.9 x 4.4 x 1.6" (75 x 113 x 41mm)

As to the Panasonic FZ50. Will definitely not fit in bag. I use the FZ20 and it is already to large to fit in my wife’s normal sized hand bag. Lens quality on the FZ20 is good. I think Gwen and a few others are using the FZ30.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

bert

Unread post by bert » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:31 am

mitch wrote:And the Panasonic Z50 looks really good aswell. Maybe a bit bulky. Is the quality good at 12x zoom?

Just read a testreport in a Dutch Magazine yesterday
Among the 10mp "pocketcamera's" the best quality.
And the zoom is of a great quality

Get your wife a bigger handbag :wink:

bert

Unread post by bert » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 pm

My SO owns the tele conv for the Z50 Panasonic.
Quality piece of glass.
Sharp and clear
Made by Leica
Paid 199.00 euros

Jumbo

Unread post by Jumbo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:18 am

I have the Panasonic FZ30 and am completely in love it! True, it does not fit into a handbag, but it goes everywhere I go…just get a proper bag.
As for quality: the best you can get for this type of cameras (as Bert also mentioned)
You can go and have a look at some of the shots I take with mine (including a beautiful leopard we saw in Kruger last week…hallelujah, they still exist! :dance: ): http://flickr.com/photos/jumbo22

My SO has a Nikon D80 and is often disappointed with the shot he took, compared with what I got with my (much cheaper) FZ30 of the same subject…. considering the price differences.
What I love the most of my FZ30 is that it is easy to handle and very user-friendly…makes it ideal for wildlife photography that often requires swift actions on your part.

Salva
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Salva » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm

Jumbo wrote:My SO has a Nikon D80 and is often disappointed with the shot he took, compared with what I got with my (much cheaper) FZ30 of the same subject…. considering the price differences.

Maybe because your SO lacks your skills... :wink: You should use the D80 yourself to see what the camera really is capable of :lol:
U lacht en U heeft gelijk dat U lacht maar het is niet om mee te lachen

cybeR@NGER
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cybeR@NGER » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 pm

Salva wrote:Maybe because your SO lacks your skills... :wink: You should use the D80 yourself to see what the camera really is capable of :lol:

Hmm ... not a very nice compliment to Jumbo's SO ... you don't really need to be a rocket scientist to operate a D80 ...

But, I agree, FZ-30 ROCKS and your pictures ROCK, Jumbo ! You just have to read all the nice comments on Flickr ... :wink:

Life is uncertain - eat your dessert first.

Jumbo

Unread post by Jumbo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:28 pm

cybeR@NGER wrote:
Salva wrote:Maybe because your SO lacks your skills... :wink: You should use the D80 yourself to see what the camera really is capable of :lol:

Hmm ... not a very nice compliment to Jumbo's SO ... you don't really need to be a rocket scientist to operate a D80 ...

Of cause Salva is right!!!!! :twisted: …. joking :lol: , but my SO is still learning how to get the best out of this D80….and with the great advice from good Samaritans (like Salva :wink: ), are getting there….you can also look at my SO’s shots http://flickr.com/photos/akuzula/

As for me using the D80….it is like a massive bazooka when it has its bigger lens on….really not easy to work with! The lightweight, easy to use FZ30 that produces photos that I’m quite happy with, has actually spoiled me a lot…..I’m now waiting for the FZ100….somewhere around May next year ….and heard it will have a bigger sensor? :dance: Sure, I will not be able to make massive quality prints from my FZ30 shots as you can do with the photos taken with the D80, but have made some fairly large prints and they were good enough for me. Yes sure, there is also a quality difference even if you do not print ….sharpness, colour etc…..but then you sacrifice mobility and you obviously pay 3x (plus) the price.

Mitch, get your girlfriend a FZ50….that is if you can face competition from a “Point and Shoot” on your DSLR shots. I honestly believe that for a person who wishes to have a GOOD camera with many of a DSLR’s functionalities, this range of Panasonic cameras will be more than enough …that is if you do not want to sell your photos as a professional.

bert wrote:My SO owns the tele conv for the Z50 Panasonic.
Quality piece of glass.
Sharp and clear
Made by Leica
Paid 199.00 euros

Anybody know where I can get this converter in SA…..already tried SACamera….no luck…any recommended online site in SA that may stock this?

cybeR@NGER
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cybeR@NGER » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Jumbo wrote:Anybody know where I can get this converter in SA…..already tried SACamera….no luck…any recommended online site in SA that may stock this?

Good question. I'm also looking for one.
Life is uncertain - eat your dessert first.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”