Skip to Content

Standard Zoom Lens Advice

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Which lens..opinions please :)

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:51 am

I am looking at getting a new walk around lens for every day use.

I have narrowed it down to the Canon 24-70 mm F2.8 L USM lens or the Canon 24-105 mm F4 IS L USM lens.
I want a SHARP lens :D
I already have the Canon 10-22 mm as well as the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS lens...so I am looking at something in between that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
Michele :D

bert

Re: Which lens..opinions please :)

Unread post by bert » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 am

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:44 am

Well I have the EF24-70 f/2.8 L. It's a very good lens to walk around with, fairly light compared to my 70-200 L.

Am I happy with the photos? Sort of. I am loathe to say I am unhappy as I think the problem lies with me not being that good a photographer and I haven't had much practice as I usually keep my 70-200 lens on when on our walks around here.

I do have some test shots. If you give me a couple of days to get them up onto the web, I'll PM you the links.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Caracal

Unread post by Caracal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:53 am

Thank you again bert and Saraf...loooking forward to seeing your pics if you mange to get them up saraf! :D
I will pm Madach..thx Bert.

I must admit I am tending towards the IS feature of the 24-105mm. i want to use this lens to capture images while on the run....like travelling through Namibia...a quick stop on the side of the road is all I am allowed so there is never much time to faff with tripods. etc.
One thing that puts me off the 24-70mm is that too many people in the reviews I have read say that they battled to get a sharp copy...but once they got it sorted they were very happy with the lens. I cannot take that chance especially seeing the lens may be bought in New York.

Bert's reviews were excellent thank you....both lenses get very good reviews....which of course makes the decision even more difficult.

But to quote
I am sure that many Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L Lens owners will also have a 24-105mm L in their kit. Indoor event photographers will *probably* select the 24-70 L while landscape/outdoor, travel and portrait photographers might prefer the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens.

I am more of a landscape/outdoor, travel and portrait photographer than a indoor event photographer so maybe the 24-105 mm is what I should be going for ...... :hmz:

I am still open to more advice though :D

bert

Unread post by bert » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 am

comparison test
Makes it even more difficult :twisted:
Suppose its for under the Xmas tree :whistle:

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Canon 18 - 135 lens

Unread post by lion queen » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 am

I have a Sigma 150 -500 and the standard Canon 18 - 55 lenses.

I would love to buy the Canon 18 - 135 lens. Do anyone have this lens? Could anyone tell me if this is a good buy.

I would love to bridge the opening between my two lenses, without changing lenses every time I want to take a photo of the elephant right next to the road or wishing that the 55 had a bit more reach........
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Canon 18 - 135 lens

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:30 am

It's a good lens, have a look here and here for instance.

The high performance standard zoom lens
The high-quality EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is equivalent to a 24-136mm focal length lens (5.6x standard zoom). Designed for EOS EF-S mount bodies the lens covers wide angle and portrait focal ranges. It also offers a 4-stop Image Stabilizer as well as a close focusing distance of just 0.35m throughout the zoom range.

Versatile super zoom lens
The EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a powerful all-in-one lens for EOS EF-S mount bodies. It features a 4-stop Image Stabilizer and a 7.5x super zoom range (approx. 29-216mm equivalent focal length). The lens covers a wide range of focal lengths with a 0.45m minimum focusing distance. A general-purpose zoom, it is ideal for photographers looking to make the step up from a standard kit lens.

Easy-to-use impressive image quality
Both lenses offer great low-light performance due to the inclusion of a 4-stop Image Stabilizer that automatically detects panning and tripods, responding accordingly to help photographers take steady shots in any situation. The addition of ultra low dispersion (UD) lenses and aspherical lens elements - as well as lens coatings optimised to combat ghosting and flare - ensure high quality throughout. Both products also include a circular aperture for beautiful background blur (bokeh).
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Canon 18 - 135 lens

Unread post by lion queen » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 am

Hi Bushbaby30.............yes bought the canon 18-135 and combined it with the canon7D............it is a stunning lens for what I wanted to achieve.......................we went to Kruger end July and I used it for all the "bigger" game and the odd landscapes (not my strong point).............no need to change lenses any more.............just swapped cameras............first rule SO made when we entered was only one camera could be used by me at one stage!!!! :rtm: :rtm: :wall: :wall: ..............can you think how awesome it would have been if I could handle both cameras simultaneously!!! :doh: :doh:

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Panekoek

Nikkor 24-120mm f/4

Unread post by Panekoek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Guys

I am going to the Kruger soon and I want a lens that can take extreme close ups of bugs. I cannot buy one at the moment and all the rental companies are out of/ or dont stock macro lenses. The one shop told me that the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 can be used as a Micro lense and is very capable of taking extreme close ups.

Does anyone own this lens that can advise me on the issue?

Regards

Scottm

Re: Nikkor 24-120mm f/4

Unread post by Scottm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 pm

While I would love to have the f4 version, I am saddled with the older f3.5 - f5.6, non-VR version. While even this is a great lens, I would not say that it has a short enough focusing point to consider using it as a macro lens. whether this also applies to the constant f4.0, VR model, I simply cannot confirm.
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

cfraser

Choosing a new lens

Unread post by cfraser » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:26 pm

`Hi Guys

I am having a difficult time choosing a lens.

At the moment I have an old Sigma 28-300, inherited from my dad and not sure how old it is, I have had it for almost 5 years now. I upgraded my camera recently from a Canon 20D to a 550D and the lens has been struggling with autofocus and has been a real frustration. I have also noticed a bit of chromatic aberration in recent pictures.

So I do not have a huge budget to work with, but I have attached a list of potential candidates that I am looking at.

I currently have a Sigma 12-24 wide angle lens which I use occasionally that I also inherited. I have access to a Canon 100-400 L lens every now and then but I would like to start building my own collection.

So I would like to go with the following:
- Sigma 12-24 wide angle for those landscape and wide angle photos.
- One of the attached - whichever would be the most benefitial to my wildlife photography in the interim and good all round travel lens.
- One day when I am big - a nice 400+ fixed focal length lens on a decent camera.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could have a look at my list attached and provide me with some input.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Sigma 18-300/Tamron 16-300, but do I really need these when I already have a 12-24. Then again, I have read good reviews about these 2 lenses, but they are also pushing the boundaries of my budget which I set between R3-6k. The Canon 55-250 is also quite appealing.

I hope you guys can give me some decent guidance here.

Thank you.

Regards
Craig
Attachments
Lens Upgrade.jpg

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Choosing a new lens

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:34 pm

cfraser,

with a limited budget (and limited weight for carry-on even on internal flights) I would be tempted for th 50-250 CANON ISM lens.

What attracted us to it was it is quiet so we could use it in autofocus mode hand holding whilst videoing (on 700D and 600D)..Some tests (rockwell) show it performing better than older canon red lenses with very quick AF modes. WE no longer take the 700-300 heavier lens around.

We've had a 100-400 mk1 for five years or so, my daughter has one and also found it takes reasonable pictures. I have used it with a Canon 1.4 extender but you lose the autofocus - except when using the LCD live view mode - which is slow but accurate.

r.
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

Other TR's are 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”