Macro Lenses

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: adding 2 x convertor and micro lens to my kit

Unread post by DuQues » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Oh.. i forgot!
Richard mentioned the close-up lens I use. It is not a macrolens, I'm not sure about the magnification I get, think it's something like .6...
But if you can find one, (called a canon 500D, now you know why they don't produce them anymore), buy one!
It'll fit canon and nikon, and maybe other brands, as it's more or less a filter you screw on top of your lens.
Not good enough really for flies or ants, but locusts, small geckos etc are perfect targets for it!
And it weighs almost nothing, my 77mm one is less than 200 grams. Easy to transport.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

adrianp
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: adding 2 x convertor and micro lens to my kit

Unread post by adrianp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 am

Hi

For a Macro Lens, I have the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro. It is very sharp, but you will struggle with limited depth of field. To get around that, you will need to buy a whole lot of extra stuff to get the most out of it:

1) a good solid tripod that goes to ground level.
2) A camera remote (stops camera shake when you press the trigger)
3) A Macro ring flash (if you can afford one, but it will change the colours)
4) Something to stun the subjects so that they are dead still :twisted:

Once you get kitted, you can stop the lens back to about f22, to double your DOF. Even if this means having shutter speed of a few seconds. Otherwise, you are limited to 1mm slices through the object.

The f2.8 prime is also a stunning lens for portraits. You will really appreciate the large appeture compared to most f5.6 consumer lenses.

Peter

KGB

Macro Lenses

Unread post by KGB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi,

I have recently bouight my first dslr camera (the canon 450d) and the sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens. I used a panasonic fz50 before and thought it was time to take the plunge (so to speak).
I just need some general advice on converters (is it worth getting converters 1.4x EX DG APO or 2x EX DG APO Tele Converters produce a 210-700mm F7-9 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens or a 300-1000mm F10-13 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens respectively) - , and a macro lens for the setup - mostly insects, flowers etc), or what else would be recomended to start a fairly complete wildlife photography setup.
Here are some examples of some of the shots I have taken (from both camera's)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24469970@N08/
Thanks

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Starting out

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm

As Richard says, I would not go for any teleconverter. You obviously know you'll loose autofocus, but not only that, teleconverters also point out the flaws in your lens. And frankly, Sigma isn't the top quality you can get, so...

500 mm should in most cases be enough, unless you are birding. If not, it's quite simple, you are too far away, and either need to wait till the animal approaches, or just sit back and enjoy the sighting.

For insects and such a 100 mm macro is the lens to go for! That is if money and travel weight isn't too big an issue. If it is you might want to have a look at the Canon 500D, which is a close-up lens you screw onto a lens like a filter. Not real macro, but really handy.

Just in case, my 'long' lense is the Canon 100-400.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Dont go for a converter, but a 100mm macro
Is also a very good portrait lens

KGB

Unread post by KGB » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:58 am

thanks for all the help....was just interested in what your thoughts were on teleconverters and probably just confirmed what i already knew.
any suggestions on the macro lens??? the one i have heard mentioned or recommended before was the canon ef 100 mm f/2.8 usm macro??
thanks again....

bert

Unread post by bert » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:40 pm

I own the 100 mm 2.8
Perfect for macro
And because the lens is deep within the housing you dont need a protection hood to keep the sun away

KGB

Unread post by KGB » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:05 am

i do have the 18-55mm lens as well....
wrt close up lens (500d) - are they standard and fit all lenses or do you have to buy a specific one for a specific lens....
because i see that there are different ones from 52mm to 77mm...ranging form R1250 to R3290...which one woould be best and would it fit the 18-55mm kit lens....

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:24 am

The 500D is like a filter, so will fit any brand, as long as the size is correct.

I would not buy it for the 18-55 but for a longer lens so you have a little space to work with.

mad4wildlife

Lens Choices (Landscape & Macro)

Unread post by mad4wildlife » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi guys would love some advice.

My current camera is a canon 400d (deciding to upgrade to full frame or a new cropped sensor)

I would love to invest in a few new lenses for
a) landscapes
b) macro (for insects & flowers)

Would like a few recommendations for good quality Canon or Sigma lenses.

Does anyone use the sigma macros? (150mm or 105mm) I've been eyeing these up for a while, but think maybe the canon 100 might be better

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Lens Choices (Landscape & Macro)

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm

You have two lenses to buy, both are around the 600~700 euro mark.
The Canon 100 mm f2.8, and the 17-40 f/4
The 180 mm macro will give you more room to work with, but the pricetag of that is about triple the 100 mm. The 180 is a little sharper though.
And the 17-40 works like a dream. On a fullframe camera it will of course give you a way wider view, but at least it fits both kinds of camera.

bert

Re: Lens Choices (Landscape & Macro)

Unread post by bert » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:19 pm

I used to have the Sigma 105
brilliant, but a slow autofocus
And very sturdy built

I now own the Canon
Faster and because the lens is integrated in the lensbody no need for a sunshield

But for the price difference the Sigma image quality was just as good

Suspect you could find some second hand.
Many macro photographers made the switch to 180
more pratical for photographing insects.
No need to creep up on them with 180 mm

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”