Renting Lenses

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
delboysafa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Renting Lenses

Unread post by delboysafa » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi,

Just returned from 18 days back home and 10 days in the Kgalagadi. I had a tough choice of wanted a bit more reach, but couldn't afford the 500mm F4 IS. I am sure there are a lot of photographers, coming over from the UK in a similar boat.

I chose to rent the lens from www.lenses4hire.co.uk. For 18 days, it cost me £440. It really made my trip and so glad I did it. I will now be saving like crazy to actually buy it!!!! WHAT A LENS.

They rent the whole Canon range of lenses and have just started some Nikon one's I believe

Purpose of this post is to just let people know in the UK, who are similar to me in terms of needing different lenses etc with limited budget, going to any of the Parks back home, that there is another option.

Good luck and hope it helps

D

lirritma
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lirritma » Fri May 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info. I see you also made it to Addo. Pity that we missed you. Waiting for your KTP Trip report now. :)

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Fri May 30, 2008 4:05 pm

After a year of thinking I decided to buy the 500 f/4 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had the time to test it properly, but my initial impression is that this is an amazing lens. Both my initial tests shot that focussing speed and image quality are amazing. I'd say that both in IQ and focussing the 500 f/4 is at least as good the 300 f/2.8 L IS the latter being widely accepted as being one of Canon's best lenses ever.

delboysafa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by delboysafa » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Madach, congrats on the purchase. I took my 300mm F2.8 IS with me as well and it got very little 'game time' in 10 days in KTP. 500mm with the 1.4 TC was fantastic. I cant remember any hunting and was rapid in focusing. IQ with or without blows me away and on a par with the 300mm F2.8.

I can clearly understand why the 500mm F4 is the wildlife photographers dream lens. Saw lots of them in the park and you needed it in a lot of situations.

IS worked beautfully. I had a beanbag, but I have a couple of sharp shots that I have come across at 1/60.

Good luck with it.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Fri May 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Just wondering; did you take the 300 and 500mm with you in your handluggage? I'm planning on putting the 500mm in my Lowepro Trekker AW bag, but I'm still not sure how to also bring my 300mm.

delboysafa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by delboysafa » Sat May 31, 2008 9:18 am

Yes, got them both in my Tamrac Expedition 8 with 2 cams and laptop. Had no problems on all flights. Had 3 internal flights at home on the smaller planes and it fit under the seats so they were happy with it. I told everyone what I had in it and they were all very happy to help and accomodate

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi delboysafa

It's very reasuring to know you managed all that gear on your flights 300 2.8 and 500 f4. :shock:
Could you manage to let us know exactly what you took and how heavy it all was!! I've been getting quite conserned about how I would get all my stuff on the flights. :?

Perhaps as part of your trip report, ------- can't find a smily with tongue hanging out!! :wink:

mdicki02

Unread post by mdicki02 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:22 am

Does anyone rent lenses in JHB? I'd like to support the local economy when I'm down there (and hopefully save a little money myself). This also means I don't have to lug it through a couple of airports!

I'd love to get my hands on a 500mm f4 for my trip.

Thank you!!!
---------------
Sep 2007 3 days at Olifants & Satara with a little point and shoot digital :(
June 2008 8 days in Satara, Olifants and Skukuza with a Canon 40D and L Series lenses! :)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 am

Hedrus does, the 500 f/4 will set you back R500, the 600 f/4 the same. Choices!!! :lol:
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

mpho78

Lens hire in South Africa

Unread post by mpho78 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi there,

I will be travelling to South Africa (flying into Jo'burg) for a couple of weeks in and around Kruger in September and am wanting to hire a camera lens for my Nikon D300. I am coming from Switzerland where lens hire is crazily expensive! Can anybody recommend any companies that provide this?

Many thanks

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Freda » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi mpho78 and welcome :D
Take a look here
Have a great trip!

Mars

lens rental

Unread post by Mars » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:55 pm

You can also look here But outdoorphoto is good as far as I know you can compare the prices.

Mpuma

Re: Lens hire in South Africa

Unread post by Mpuma » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Wouldn't it be GREAT if you can actually rent lenses in the KNP??? This is a suggestion for someone who actually works for Sanparks. For some of us who live closer to KNP than to Gauteng it is difficult to drive to Pretoria just to pick up a lens. I would be great if we can pick it up in Skukuza or somewhere... just an idea>??

Karl Jaacks

Equipment hire?

Unread post by Karl Jaacks » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Guys

Does anyone know were i can hire some camara equipment in JHB

Looking to hire some lens

Karl
Nothing ventured nothing gained, so just do it!!!!!!!

big5spotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Equipment hire?

Unread post by big5spotter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:22 am

Hi KJ
Look here

Think they are in PTA
'When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”