Skip to Content

Battery Rechargers and Battery Grips

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment

Re: Universal charging systems for photographic gear

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Wildebeeste and others,

We also use a lot of electronical devices and we take it all into the plain cabin. Just like you told, your husband also want that. Never change anything about that. You don't want to loose your devices. Unless we never lost our suitcases, the risk when you have a transfer is a lot bigger.

Then the problem to reduce the weight of the rechargers. We have a hybrid sony camera, which we lend out to a friend of us in SA right now. The recharger he used isn't an original and now the camera isn't working anymore (it says, wrong battery). I have also had it with my phone. When charging it with an universal adapter, the battery life got worse.

So, we always take the original adapters / rechargers with us and put up with weight.
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.
No, it's because I am in The Netherlands right now,
And my heart is still in South Africa

Re: Universal charging systems for photographic gear

Unread post by UKbadger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 pm

We do a compromise by taking car chargers, [light weight], for nearly everything, in the hand baggage and a light adapter lead with 4 uk plug sockets plus the heavy transformers and leads in the hold bags.

The trick is to have a fully working and self-sufficient kit in your hand baggage just in case, even if it is not the most convenient.

The DELKIN system works very well for us as the hand baggage part as it has mains and car plugs. It has lots of very light adapter plates for all the common cam bats and will charge two bats at once.

If you must take mains cables make sure that they have light weight plugs on them. Or even make up a multi lead with only one plug on it.

Just remember, if disaster strikes it’s much easier to buy some more clothes than to get chargers for your cameras!!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Battery Charger for Motor Vehicle.

Unread post by adw » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:58 am

I intend staying at some electrical free camps (eg Balule Tsendze) and enquire from other forumites if any of them have a battery charger for their camera which works off a 12v system. (car battery).
(My camera is a Nikon.)
Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Battery Charger for Motor Vehicle.

Unread post by Tobieo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:23 pm

I use an inverter to charge camera, laptop and shaver. They are available at outdoor shops from <R1,000 but rather invest in one of at least 600W
Jan 2016 KTP
March 2016 Greater Kruger Hon Rangers Photography safari
May 2016 KTP
June 2016 Okavango Delta and Chobe

Re: Battery Charger for Motor Vehicle.

Unread post by Switchback » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

I have a 350W inverter built into my canopy in conjuction with a dual battery system and works fine for all my camera and laptop charging needs. I also shoot Nikon! :thumbs_up:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Camera battery

Unread post by chirinda » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I have just bought a new camera which has a specific battery size. My old one uses penlights and I keep two sets and swap them over, very useful to not have the camera out of action while charging them.

My question is do I need to buy a specific Canon battery or will the generic be ok? I don't want to damage this expensive (for me) new camera.

Re: Camera battery

Unread post by JDW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:30 am

Most generic batteries are ok, not usually as the Canon one however a lot cheaper.
I would suggest that a generic battery is not going to damage the camera.
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Unread post by EOS_User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:24 am

Hello Chirinda;

I second JDWs comments. I use Canon and also use third-party spare-batteries. Good ones won't damage the camera; but you do need to exercise some caution when buying.

Stay away from the very cheapest; and be very careful if buying on ebay.

Where are you located? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction of a reputable vendor!

Unread post by EOS_User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am

With all respect to those above, there really is nothing to worry about using 'good' third-party batteries.

I have been a Canon user for over 30 years, and currently use top-end bodies. I use BOTH Canon original and good third-party batteries in them, and always have - without any problem whatsoever!

As always; it's a case of 'buyer-beware'. If a deal looks too good to be true; it generally is. The very cheap batteries you might see on ebay will be Chinese knock-offs. The biggest problem with them is that they simply don't hold their charge for any period of time.

But; a decent vendor can provide a very good-value-for money alternative.

I see using (good) third-party batteries as no different to using any other third-party component; and there are multitudes of those available, from lenses, to grips, to flash units etc. etc. All have an electrical connection with the body!

Just my two-cents worth!

Drew Cairncross

Unread post by Drew Cairncross » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Chirinda, as mentioned, there are good generics available. People will say that generics are rubbish, and others will say they are better. One thing that almost everyone overlooks, is battery care and maintenance. If you have a new battery, DO NOT deplete it beyond 50% of it's capacity on the first cycle. It will be prone to a condition known as "memory" and in a nutshell, some batteries, not all, can lose 30% of their life if completely drained on their first cycle. When you first get your battery (even the new one in your camera) make sure you do not let it go completely flat for the first few cycles, but also don't charge it when it is at 95% capacity. Charge it when it has between 50 and 60% capacity on the first few cycles.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”