Skip to Content

Battery Rechargers and Battery Grips

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Johan N

Re: Battery grips for canon, help please.

Unread post by Johan N » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Can't help you with this battery grip but have you considered a monopod for even more stability?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:18 pm

:thumbs_up: Johan!

That's actually the best suggestion...
I have no experience with the Hahnel grip, but do have lot's of experience with monopods, and they are worth their weight in gold!
You don't even need a head on them, just the gondola (?) straight on the monopod works trotally fine.

As for grips, is the price difference that large?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 pm

I absolutely agree re monopods value, and I do have one clipped to my back most of the time when I’m on the prowl here in the UK. The trouble is it is just not practical most of the time as the animals I am mostly after have to be stalked, often on hands and knees or tummy and are so shy they will be off into cover in seconds if they even suspect a human may be around!!

Just think leopard, [me] 8) :wink: and Duiker, [Roe deer], except, sadly, I’m not as bendy or as good looking as a leopard.

Managing a big lens with the camera in landscape position can be tricky enough, but in portrait with your right hand on top and elbow up, or the other way round, holding the body with your fingers while trying to press the shutter is murder.

With a grip it should be possible to operate the camera in portrait with both elbows down and on your chest for support. I’m coming rapidly to the conclusion that I’m missing lots of good portrait shots because it’s just too uncomfortable to try them!!

DuQues
Sadly the above are the best UK prises.

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 pm

I work with Nikon and have battery grips for my cameras.
Take into consideration that battery grips actually make your camera much heavier and even if you are able to take portrait shots easily you still have a weight to hold up and move around. They're great for the extra charge they provide, they normally contain two standard batteries or upto 8 AA ones.

At times I find it difficult to change quickly from normal position to portrait with elbows high and this can drive you up the wall in difficult positions.
Monopod is an all round solution and definitely worth a try first.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 am

Both will be fine and i would go for the cheaper one
Unless you intend to use it always and then i would go for canon
For eg, have canon and other brands batteries for my bodies.
The Canon does last longer, so expect the grip from canon to be
superior to Hahnel

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi all

I had a Hahnel grip come in the post this afternoon, it was very flimsy in feel and the finger wheel control had an especially fragile action. Apart from that the battery tray would not come out despite half an hour of trying, so it’s gone back to warehouse express.
:shock: :twisted:

A canon one is coming next week and hopefully will be better but not too much heavier!

:pray:

bert

Unread post by bert » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Shame
Hope the canon is much beter

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks bert,

I'll let you know how it works out when it arives as I'm sure there must be quite a few people who have toyed with the idea of getting one.

I can remember one mite who posted here who said that they never have a camera without one, plus of corse all the pro models have them built in.

What canon photographer wouldent want a
1D iii ??? or 1Ds iii ???

or both :tongue: :tongue:

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:17 am

Have now got my new grip, it is definitely of better quality though not massively so.

First impressions after one trip out, [a 2 mile walk], with the 100-400 are that it makes everything feel more balanced and easy to hold even in landscape position! :D

In portrait position it’s even better, making it much easier to hold steady. :D :D

The extra weight doesn’t seem to make any difference and I suspect it’s going to live on my camera from now on!!

Haven’t tried it out for real with the “big glass” yet but all feels good at home.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:29 am

It does make it feel as if the camera is finally finished isn't it? :lol:

Especially if you have larger hands, the camera feels totally at home in them now.
I'll happily continue advising people to buy and use grips, especially with the smaller cameras like the Canon xxxD series.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Have given the Grip a good first outing with my stalking kit, the 300 f2.8 with 1.4X and 2X. but not all at once!!

It’s just as I suspected, so much easier! :D :D

Got some nice shots of a Roe Deer as well. 8)

This set-up is heavy and on the limit for stalking so a small bit of extra gms. doesn’t make much difference, though I do only keep 1 battery in it, the other in a pocket.

I would strongly recommend that anyone using a medium to long lens should put a grip on their wish list, why didn’t I do it sooner?

:doh: :hmz:

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi UKbadger, Great to hear you like the grip. I got my first one before travelling to Kenya last year and bought a second one on returning.
Great value for money and a must on long game drives.
The Nikon, for the D80, has a plastic fitting that can hold 8 AA size batteries and I always keep a set in my bag.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

wildebeeste

Universal charging systems for photographic gear

Unread post by wildebeeste » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 am

My husband and I were in Kruger recently, concentrating on photography. Our biggest problem that we had was the recharging of all of our battery powered devices - our 4 cameras, laptop, mobile phone and 2 photostorage devices. The recharging was not a problem, because we had taken a few adapter plugs with us from Australia, but the weight and space requirements of multiple recharging devices were certainly a major problem.

These took up a lot of our aircraft luggage space and weight, particularly because my husband insisted on taking all of them with him into the aircraft cabin in case our other luggage was lost. We looked into universal charging systems but these seemed to be very complex and almost as large as the sum of all of our chargers.
Have you any suggestions?

FlorisCathy

Re: Universal charging systems for photographic gear

Unread post by FlorisCathy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Wildebeeste and others,

We also use a lot of electronical devices and we take it all into the plain cabin. Just like you told, your husband also want that. Never change anything about that. You don't want to loose your devices. Unless we never lost our suitcases, the risk when you have a transfer is a lot bigger.

Then the problem to reduce the weight of the rechargers. We have a hybrid sony camera, which we lend out to a friend of us in SA right now. The recharger he used isn't an original and now the camera isn't working anymore (it says, wrong battery). I have also had it with my phone. When charging it with an universal adapter, the battery life got worse.

So, we always take the original adapters / rechargers with us and put up with weight.
I am a heartless person,
Not because I am cruel.
No, it's because I am in The Netherlands right now,
And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

UKbadger

Re: Universal charging systems for photographic gear

Unread post by UKbadger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 pm

We do a compromise by taking car chargers, [light weight], for nearly everything, in the hand baggage and a light adapter lead with 4 uk plug sockets plus the heavy transformers and leads in the hold bags.

The trick is to have a fully working and self-sufficient kit in your hand baggage just in case, even if it is not the most convenient.

The DELKIN system works very well for us as the hand baggage part as it has mains and car plugs. It has lots of very light adapter plates for all the common cam bats and will charge two bats at once.

If you must take mains cables make sure that they have light weight plugs on them. Or even make up a multi lead with only one plug on it.

Just remember, if disaster strikes it’s much easier to buy some more clothes than to get chargers for your cameras!!

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”