Skip to Content

General Digital Advice Needed

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:42 pm

macho mouse wrote:Thank you everyone.
It seems that the digital camera is to photography, what Microsoft Word is to writing.
I am a dyslexic who managed a masters degree with the help of "word".
Who knows what the digital camera holds :lol: :D :wink:

I think it's time that you give it a go, MM :lol: You may yet uncover a heretofor hidden talent 8) I for one look forward to seeing your efforts in furture trip reports! Go for it! :thumbs_up:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:59 pm

:wink: :wink:
Thank you
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:58 am

macho mouse wrote:Thank you everyone.
It seems that the digital camera is to photography, what Microsoft Word is to writing.
I am a dyslexic who managed a masters degree with the help of "word".
Who knows what the digital camera holds :lol: :D :wink:

Definitely sounds like time to find out for yourself!
Mothers hold their children's hands for a while and their hearts forever

Muhammad
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Advance Digital Camera

Unread post by Muhammad » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:21 pm

please advise which camera to buy.this will be used mainly for when no time to change lenses and settings and also for my children to use.

Jay
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jay » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:40 pm

after hours of surfing the web this was my shortlist:

Kodak Easyshare P850
Panasonic DMC FZ5K
Fujifilm S9500
Olympus SP500 UZ

all have extensive zoom capabilities, either 10x or 12x, many shooting options but can also be used as point and shoot.
There is also a variation in price.
I bought the Olympus, and so far very happy.

Hope this helps :)

Skopsie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Skopsie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 am

M,

I think you must include the Canon S2 IS in your list to look at as well. I bought one some time ago. Satisfied. Easy to use. My OS with no previous experience with cams, uses it as well.

Muhammad
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Muhammad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:24 pm

ive being reading about the Canon Pro1 and newly launched Canon S3 IS.

Obelix
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Obelix » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Muhammad. I also bought the S2 a while back and considers it to be an excellent camera. Should definitely be on your list IMHO.

As far as the S3 is concerned, you can never get ahead with these digital cameras. The one you just bought is guaranteed to be replaced with a newer, better one, which will also result in a steep drop in the value of your current camera. However, this (unfortante?) state of affairs has its advantages as well. The S2's price has, for the first time as far as I know, now dropped below R4000 in SA. So depending on your budget, the expected release of the S3 is sure to make the S2 even more affordable.

The S3 sounds great - 6 megapixels, still 12X optical zoom, higher ISO range (up to 800), even faster shutter speeds, etc. and for the novice (like me) apparantely a built in "action" / "sport" setting which is not a feature of the S2 :evil: . For a novice (and the slower ones like me), this setting is very useful, especially if you're in a hurry to capture those chasing wild dogs crisply (them AWD's never seem to stand still), before they dissapear into the bushes. So, if you want to wait a while, and you can afford it, maybe waiting for the S3 is the way to go (I certainly would love to have one as well, but the S2 will have to do for the next number of years)

Fizzpop
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Fizzpop » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:08 am

Hi there

As i was also trying to make up my mind....
I looked towards the Samsung Pro815.
What a great Camera.... with some good features.

Price: R7500
weight is a bit on heavier size, and slightlt bulky... but demos i have tried... very unbelievably good results. A zoom range to die for, also.

The Canon S2 very good also, HIFi corp selling R3799-00! The images are really good, and crisp.
For its price... the better one to get...and will get my vote, but waiting for S3 version!

The Fuji 9500 was not nice to use.. and the results were so disappointing! Will steer well clear...compared to the 560, this is a dog! IMHO! :cry:

Go for it, bite the bullet, and just upgrade every six months!!! :D
[b]"Some are Guilty, but we are all Responsible"
KNP 12 March to 23 March 2016, Malelane / Tamboti)
KNP 16 May to 22 May 2016, Croc Bridge/ Biyamiti/ PKop)

blasian

Camera & Lens Advice

Unread post by blasian » Fri May 25, 2007 6:57 am

Hi guys!

Now some of y'all know that I'm planning a trip to Kruger for next year (hopefully, possibly pushed to 2009).

I'm looking at getting a good D-SLR to take with me. My Sony Cybershot just didn't cut the mustard last time!

Does anyone have any reccommendation for a camera for a complete beginner? The closest I've been to one is holding it in a shop. I've been looking at a Canon EOS 400D pack which I can get with a 18-55mm lens and a 90-300mm lens. I've heard the Nikon equivalent is quite good - N80 I think - but it is a bit more pricey. The N40 is closer to what I want to spend. I've also had a look at the Sony A100.

If someone could just offer some advice on what they use in the park camera and lens wise that would be awesome. I'm completely new to D-SLR's!

Edit to add:
These are my choices...
Canon EOS400D with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses for $1,999
Nikon D40X with with 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR Lens for $1,899
Sony A100 with 18-70mm & 75-300mm Lenses for $1,799
"I'm always travelIing, I love being free, and so I keep leaving the sun and the sea, but my heart lies waiting over the foam, I still call Australia home."

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris » Fri May 25, 2007 8:28 am

Have a look in the camera / photography forum; you will find plenty of advice. I am sure you will be very happy with any of your choices - and it is difficult to advise as we all get very biased. Partly because it is too expensive to change make once you have invested in a camera and several lenses.

The 'risky' choice is Sony - they are a bit of an unknown in the SLR world still. BUT their first camera gets excellent results in all the reviews I have seen (as good as or better than your other choices) and rumours have it that Sony is very serious, with 2 or more cameras on the way, including a pro full frame one.

Remember that the lens is actually more important than the camera for the quality of the photo - pay as much as you can afford and look at reviews. http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ is excellent.

Richard

Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meg » Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

The N80 is a lot more camera than the 400D. I suspect the N40 is a bit less, sorry, don't get enough time to hang around DPReview anymore :( . The N50 might be a good choice?

Basically you should be happy with either, and a wide angle lens & as you say, at least a 70-300mm. I'm not too sure on the Canon kit lenses, but if you decide to go Nikon the "kit" 18-70mm is amazing value for money, I love it. Try not to go too cheap on the 70-300mm, although you don't need the best. If you go for Sigma or another 3rd party lens, don't go for their bottom of the range - these tend to do pretty well in ideal light conditions, but can be pretty horendous if a cloud covers the sun, etc.

I like the sound of that Nikon deal with the 70-200mm VR! What would that cost with a slightly better body? Although, you'll probably find the 200mm rather short in KNP.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the Sony at all, although I'm sure you'd find it would take you a long time to grow into it. Being able to use your camera to manipulate the current scene/light to your best advantage is far more important than the brand badge the camera covers.

Good luck with your choice 8)

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Sony is the Konica-minolta in a new jacket
The minolta's had great image shake and top glass.

Think its all about price
But very important to check what lenses etc you can buy for your set in the future.

blasian

Unread post by blasian » Mon May 28, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Obviously coming from New Zealand (or Australia if I've moved back home by then) we don't want to be dragging around too much crap. Eg. This last holiday three of us got off the plane with a full size suitcase each, a large duffle bag each, a small duffle bag each and hand luggage. Picture this -> 3 travellers of a 12 hour flight from crappy Bangkok landing at Jo'burg at 5:30am with over nine bags between them and being picked up by TWO people in a Toyota Tazz. So not cool.

Anyway, sorry about the sidetrack, what are the essential lenses for taking to Kruger? They are very expensive ( :| ) so if I bought a two lense kit I could probably only con my partner into letting me add one. What size is a wide-angle? (Yes, I'm clueless).
"I'm always travelIing, I love being free, and so I keep leaving the sun and the sea, but my heart lies waiting over the foam, I still call Australia home."

Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meg » Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 am

LOL, now is the time to learn to pack 5 pairs of shorts, 5 t-shirts, wear your choice in shoes on the plane and take a big camera bag :lol: .

Seriously, the wide angle is what you use for landscapes, etc - so the "kit" 18-70mm/17-55mm will do nicely. A 70-300mm telephoto zoom compliments this nicely. You will of course come back frustrated by the 300mm and immediately start saving for at least a 500mm (especially with birds!) but don't worry about that too much - it's natural hobby progression. If you can afford it though look at a polarising filter for the wide angle (google or this forum for more info). Another option (as you say you may be able to squeeze a 3rd lens) is to go for the kit with the 70-200mm VR and get a 2x converter. What are the rest of the lens specs? Something like f3.5-5.6 should be in there somewhere. This is the minimum aperture at the wide & long ends respectively. If it's something like 5.6 then don't bother with the 2x converter as these are very greedy with light. This would get you to 400mm in total though, aperture permitting (can you post the lens specs?)

Have fun choosing! At least you have a little time to decide. And where in Aus are you from?

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”