Skip to Content

Photoshop, some lessons

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Photoshop, some lessons

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:31 pm

In this topic you can find some tutorials about working with Photoshop. It is not meant to be a Photoshop manual, but when you follow the tutorials you may find it helpfull.

Working with layers
Photoshop works with layers, get used to using them. Aside from the minor attraction of being able to keep your image organized by putting each element on its own separately labeled layer, the advantage of layers is that they allow you to edit your photo's/artwork without editing the original. You did something silly on a layer and the photo looks bad now? Delete the layer, and everything is in order again.
I could write a lot here, but why invent the wheel twice? Photoshop cafe has written a nice tutorial on it, which you can find here.

Messing with the waterhole
This is about messing with pics from the waterhole, and may give you insights about selecting parts of photo's, working with layers, and resizing photo's. If you want to mess with a waterhole picture, read this.

Sharpening the right way
The next one is about sharpening, if you want to publish photo's in any way, electronic or in print, read this: Sharpening photo's.

Colorcorrection with Levels
The photo is now sharpened, so lets start getting the colors right.
Levels

Colorcorrection, fixing a colour cast
Ian Weatherburn has posted a nice tutorial (including a Photoshop action) on his site. You can find it here. Note that at the bottom of the page you can download the tutorial as a .pdf file as well, so you need not be online to try it out.

How to use Photoshop as a neutral density filter

A gradual neutral density filter gives you a gradual transition between light and dark thus giving you the possibility to expose a photo with very light and dark areas correctly. Think of a photo with a white beach and a dark blue sky and you think of a neutral density filter. Read the rest here.

Landscape Photography: Straighten the horizon
If you do landscape or panoramic photography it is important to have the horizon level. Photoshop has a nifty tool for that, called Measure Tool which is tucked away under the Eyedropper. All you need to do is:
1. Open your image in Photoshop
2. Select the Measure Tool from the tool palette
3. Click and draw a line along the horizon
4. Select the Image/Rotate Canvas/Arbitrary... menu option
5. Click OK on the dialog that appears to straighten the horizon
6. Crop the image using the Crop Tool to remove the unwanted bits.
But of course it is easier with some graphics to explain it, so go to this excellent tutorial (and site).

More tutorials will follow, but give me some time to write them :lol:
Last edited by DuQues on Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:47 pm

Feedback needed: is what I am writing in the tuts clear enough? I have been working with computers for something like 14 years now, all day, everyday, and for me it is easy.
I have tried to stay in layman terms where possible, but am sort of blind to problems emerging computer users may have.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bwana
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bwana » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:58 pm

I am unclear about using multiple layers, in fact layers are an absolute mystery to me. Any chance of a quick explanation, and also how do you select a different layer if you are working on one? I am sure you can explain this in a short post?

Otherwise your articles are easy to follow and very helpful.

regards
bwana
All your snakes are belong to us.

graemy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by graemy » Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Hi there!!!

This one is for Duques who seems to be the resident photoshop expert. (Mind you, my question is probably so basic that just about anyone can reply). As others have said, your tutorials are really very very helpful. They sometimes sound complicated but when you go through, step by step, on photoshop then things work perfectly.

I am a beginner with any kind of digital photography and maybe this has already been answered on the forum somewhere....

I have been practicing cropping some of my photos with photoshop and I was wondering... if I want to have the cropped pics printed by a photographer (either ordered directly on internet or taking my memory card to a photograpic shop) do I have to resize the cropped pics to their original size or is this done automatically? For pics that were standard format and are now square (for example) after cropping, same question....? I'm really not sure what to do with my resized, reframed photos....

Thanks for any help Graeme
New trip report being processed...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue May 23, 2006 12:06 pm

You do not need to do more work. You should send them cropped as you want, but keep in mind how you cropped them. The papersize may need to be changed to a larger format, as often you only have a choice of 10x15 or such sizes.

Your photo's will not be in the 2x3 sizing, and that may mean that if you don't watch it the tops and bottoms will not print. A preview should help.

HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:48 pm

I have tried to sharpen a photo for the first time. I found the "quick and dirty way" real easy and friendly to use. Thank you very much! I am not sure within what parameters I must adjust I tried the 180/0,4/0 suggestion, but it seams as if 180/4/0 gives better results. Or am I overdoing it a bit? The original photo and the sharpen one with the bigger radius.

Image Image

Greetings
HoepHoep
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 pm

You overdid it a bit, but that´s probably due to the fact that your focus is actually a bit behind the bird.
Can you mail me the original, so I can try to do some `magic` on it? I´ll explain what I did so you can try it yourself.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Lifted from our neighbours (ODP):

Free Photoshop Book (Electronic)

You can download a high-res copy of the book in PDF format here:
http://photoshop.s3.sitepoint.com/photoshopLG.zip
File Size: 64Mb

Or for the bandwidth conscious, here's the link for a low-res copy:
http://photoshop.s3.sitepoint.com/photoshopSM.zip
File Size: 23Mb

OzNes

Re: photoshop tutorials

Unread post by OzNes » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Why not.
Class is in session. Module 1
Contrast is the most important aspect of your zone system because you dont want your highlights to be blown out and your shadows to lack detail. Always shoot 3 stops ahead of camera's zone zone system so that your whites are on zone 8 and your shadows on zone 3. This has a lot to do with your f stops, this only applies for when you are shooting on manual. Shooting on auto doesnt allow you to control your contrast and editing wont be as effect.

Using Photoshop, adjust your contrast through layers, open as many layers as possible to control every pixel indipendantly. Dont adjust your contrast on the contrast pallet. it exaggerates them.

When you done editing do an overall contrast adjustment layer to finalise your highlights and shadows before sharpening.

when saving your image set your pixels at 1000 to prevent your pixels from breaking, this also sharpens the picture and allows you to acquire an average size file with maximum sharpness and printing ability.

OzNes

Unread post by OzNes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Editing
To prevent over doing your editing on photoshop make sure that you adjust your paint brushes opacity to 44, its not too harsh or too soft. When painting over a selected area letting go of the left click and clicking again then hold-resume painting doubles the opacity automatically.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:28 am

Actually, I have a good friend is aspiring to be a professional photographer (he already does weddings and similar events), and he absolutely abhors doctoring his photos. He says that it is the greatest thrill when he knows he can achieve what an expert can, all because of his own skill, and not a program's abilities to fake it.

What is the general consensus out there: is it okay to doctor pictures, and if so, to what extent is acceptable? In other words, what amount or type of doctoring of a wildlife pic would be considered unethical or in bad taste?
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 am

Morning onewithnature,
we've been discussing the question on another thread and you'll find a few examples of manipulations/corrections to pictures.
I work extensively with photoshop, both for personal and business, and can only say that there is a very thin thread between what is acceptable and what is not. As a rule I will doctor a picture up to a certain point and will stop when it means changing the physical aspect of a person. I refuse to make corrections that will make a person look different from reality, touching noses, eyes, ears and so on are off limits.
Colour corrections are acceptable as a general rule.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Photoshop, some lessons

Unread post by Yoda » Sun May 23, 2010 10:02 pm

DuQues wrote:In this topic you can find some tutorials about working with Photoshop. It is not meant to be a Photoshop manual, but when you follow the tutorials you may find it helpfull.

Messing with the waterhole
This is about messing with pics from the waterhole, and may give you insights about selecting parts of photo's, working with layers, and resizing photo's. If you want to mess with a waterhole picture, read this.

More tutorials will follow, but give me some time to write them :lol:

Hi,

I seem to remember having seen this before. Was a lesson on how to put a hut next to a waterhole. The link though doesn't seem to work anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Yoda

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:17 am

That one died.... The example photos were on my server, but that server had such a nasty crash that my provider could not even restore a backup. :wall:

It's not difficult though. Just select the 'thing' you want to insert into a photo. Preferably make sure it's at the same resolution as the photo you're going to put it into, or it'll be very visible.
Paste it into a new document in Photoshop, and clean up the edges. Resize if need be, copy, and paste into your photo. Then you can move it to where you want it.

This is a 3 minute explanation of why the wild dog looked so amazed at Orpen:

Brunilda

Unread post by Brunilda » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:18 am

I have a few tricks i do before i go into photoshop to do the final level adjustments etc that makes for some crystal clear pictures, thought i'd mention them, maybe someone can use it. I do mostly portraiture but itnreallyndoes something for any pictures, even landscape or wildlife.

Before i head to photoshop itself i open the raw images in adobe camerw raw. Free download if you have photoshop as it sits inside photoshop.

In there i fix colour, then th efollowing settings makes for the "pop"

In the first general tab, i set vibrance +10 and clarity+10
then on the sharpening tab i use the setting to sharpen with +25 but mask it at 65 it will make sure the sharpening is very subtle and doesnt make hair look like grass.

Then i edit in photoshop and at the end for print i will sharpen at unsharp mask 75,2,3 for web i sharpen to much more.
Living and working as portrait photographer in Abu Dhabi,United Arab Emirates.
Blog: www.brunilda.me/~brunilda/blog/

I love me some Canon. I don't begrudge Nikon their fun, but Canon is my game.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”