Skip to Content

Photography Kit Parade

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Sharpe`s Grysbok

Re: Photography Kit Parade

Unread post by Sharpe`s Grysbok » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:31 am

Horrace wrote:Without hijacking the thread, mods please delete if I have -may I ask Sharpe's Grydbok how the image quality of the Sigma compares to the Tameron?

Many Thanx
Horrace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Horrace,

if you hijack the thread, I will follow you and the mods can delete our both posts :think: #

I think the Sigma and the Tamron are good lenses with a fair value for an amateur photograph. The pictrure-quality is maybe with the Tamron a litttle bit better but you must know that you have 200mm more - so on the first few pictures with 600 mm I got some problems with sharp pictures, But I think this is a typical users mistake 8)

Best wishes and sorry for my bad english

Sharpe`s Grysbok

Horrace

Photography Kit Parade

Unread post by Horrace » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks Sharpe's Gemsbock.

My kit is as follows:

Nikon D90
Nikon 300 F4 AF-S
Nikon 1.4 Teleconverter.
Manfroto monopod
Bean Bag

My question was for my son who shoots with a D3200 and my old Nikon 70-300 VR. Deciding whether to swap his 70-300 for the Sigma, don't think we can afford the Tameron.

Kind Regards and I'm 100% sure that your great English is better than my average Afrikaans

Horrace

Sharpe`s Grysbok

Unread post by Sharpe`s Grysbok » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:21 am

Horrace wrote:Thanks Sharpe's Gemsbock.
My question was for my son who shoots with a D3200 and my old Nikon 70-300 VR. Deciding whether to swap his 70-300 for the Sigma, don't think we can afford the Tameron.

Hi Horrace,

oh the point is the amount you have to pay for the lenses - for a used Sigma you have to pay about 400 EUR in Germany - for the Tamron about 650 - 700 EUR.

But my Sigma had made very good pictures .- it is a good lens but for wildlife every mm more is better :mrgreen:

Kind regards,

Sharpe`s Grysbok

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanx Sharpe's Grysbok. Your home language is obviously not Afrikaans then , hope you get back to Africa soon....

Bakubung

Unread post by Bakubung » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:18 am

New to the forum but I have a great, great love of South Africa and it's wildlife. Many visits, the last being just over a year ago. Should have been back this year but family illness prevented....hopefully back very soon.

Current list
Canon 1DX (shortly to be replaced by Mk II)
Canon 7D Mk II
Canon 24-105 F4L
Canon 16-35 F4L
Canon 100-400L II
Sigma 150-600 contemporary plus 1.4X
Canon 580EX II
Gitzo traveller CF tripod and Wimberley head
Calumet CF monopod

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am

Warm welcome to the forum Bakubung! :clap:

You certainly have a very nice range of camera equipment! 8)

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Garyd73 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:20 pm

I have cut my kit down a lot recently, I used to use a couple of Panasonic cameras and then have a Sony HD camcorder for videos. Thankfully I have 1 camera that does it all now which is the Panasonic FZ1000 which is a bridge camera of sorts. It has 4K video capability which I have used for the last couple of year and the quality is outstanding and is pretty decent for stills as well.

It doesn't have the zoom that I have had on other cameras but over a certain distance the heat haze starts affecting it and it can be difficult to keep steady. I use a monopod to help as I wear glasses and can't use the eye piece, I can extend this to the floor of the OSV or just onto the seat to help. I would like to get a different tool that instead of being a monopod it just clamps onto the side of the side bars of the vehicle depending on which side I am shooting out of but can't find the exact thing I need.
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days
KNP - May 2016 - 10 Days

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”