Skip to Content

Photography book

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Hibiscus

books about (wildlife) photography

Unread post by Hibiscus » Fri May 08, 2009 11:21 am

Don't know about you, but I have learnt a lot from reading books about (wildlife) photography. The three most useful books I have are:

- "National Geographic Photography Field Guide" (Peter Burian, Robert Caputo, 2001): General, very useful books about the basics of photography. Can highly recommend it.

- The best book I have about wildlife photography is: "The Art of Photographing Nature" (Martha Hill, Art Wolfe, 1993). It's a bit old, but it's one of the best books I have. It's not so much about the basics, it's more about composition, perspective, light etc. It shows you how to make excellent wildlife pictures (instead of just good ones)

- Another book, which is REALLY old, but I still like it because the basics about photography don't change is by Andreas Feininger, "Total Picture Control", 1961.

What about you, any other suggestions on photography books?

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Photography book

Unread post by Yoda » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi All,

The following book has been recommended to me:

Essential Wildlife Photography by Richard Du Toit.

Is it worth while? Any opinions?

Thanks
Yoda

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Photography book

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 am

JOF,

I would have to say intermediate.

I have decided to buy the book anyhow. Probably worth having.

Thanks
Yoda

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi All,

Well I received my copy of this book a short time ago. It's very good. Lots of tips and tricks.

My only criticism is that although it was published in 2002 when digital was just coming to the fore, it doesn't touch on this at all. Perhaps time for an update :hmz:

Thanks
Yoda

Shutterbug

Unread post by Shutterbug » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Yoda,
To me digital bodies are updating faster than the books can come out :shock: so a monthly magazine would probably be better, but the best is still the internet, two of the sites that I like are luminous-landscape for how to use the equipment and dpreview for the equipment.

Jenniferfaz

Re: books about (wildlife) photography

Unread post by Jenniferfaz » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm

I've also learned a lot from reading wildlife photography books but most are general books.

It would be so nice if there was a book on wildlife photography specifically aimed at the Kgalagadi - where to find the animals and how best to photograph them.

davidhein

Unread post by davidhein » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 pm

"How And Where To Photograph Birds In Southern Africa" - Isak Pretorius
Has been a major help, not just talking through basic camera functions, but showing how to use them as well as what the difference is if you use another function. It also shows you how to catch the little shots - which is quite big with the birds. I actually found this more beneficial to my wildlife pictures though! Both have improved, but the wildlife has really gone up noticeably.

The phototips books have also been a huge help! My favourite three (in no particular order) are, "principles of nature photography" and "composing nature" - both van den Berg and also "getting it right in camera" - Greg du Toit.

The last recommendation is the "From Snapshots to Greatshots" series. They are very camera specific so you will need to find one for your camera. I use a Canon 7D Mark ii, and it has been a huge help since I switched to the new guy, with little assignments and tests, it is bound to improve your photography as it walks you through your entire camera and how exactly to get the most from it.
2016:
29/03 - 01/04 Pretoriuskop
13/07 - 17/07 Punda Maria
Instagram - @davidwild

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 am

Jenniferfaz wrote:I've also learned a lot from reading wildlife photography books but most are general books.

It would be so nice if there was a book on wildlife photography specifically aimed at the Kgalagadi - where to find the animals and how best to photograph them.

Hi Jenniferdaz,

There is an eBook available called The Photographers Guide to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

I must say that where to find the animals might not be that easy to get an answer to.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Bandit The Dog

Unread post by Bandit The Dog » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks for the recommendations on technical photography books. I've always had a preference for the inspiration found in the showcase style photography found in coffee table books, but I can see the value of understanding the technical aspects.

I've really enjoyed both Colours of Southern Africa - Hannes Lochner and Reflection - Heinrich van den Berg

BTD
Bandit The Dog

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”