Skip to Content

Tripod, Beanbags & Other Rests

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
NJVermaak

Re: Window Mount Camera Stands

Unread post by NJVermaak » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 am

Hi sroy,

As a photographer myself I don't see the wrong in a piece of your arm leaving the vehicle to adjust your lens, as long as the rest of your body is inside the vehicle.

My issue is when people "sit on" doors and lean out of the vehicle to get the best view, standing through sun roofs etc is taking a risk, for your own safety and those in the vehicle with you and the others around you, especially with ellies.

The lenses are so sensitive that we need to lean them on the window with a bean bag or window mount of some sort to get a nice pic.
NJ Vermaak
___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Marakele - Tlopi Tented Camp 22-27 December 2014
KNP - Tamboti 7-9 January 2015

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Window Mount Camera Stands

Unread post by Shushin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 am

This is the reply from Sanparks to a earlier discussion.

Lesego posted
Protruding in the park:

If an arm is outside the car because one is genuinely taking a picture, this cannot be against the rule. When body parts like head, shoulders etc protrude from an open window, sunroof or door on undesignated areas, then they’ll be breaching the rule.
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Camera support for disabled

Unread post by Nkulu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I will be taking a disabled friend to KNP soon and need advice on a camera support as he only has the use of one arm. We will start off with my Canon SX110 so I really do not want to spend an arm and a leg. Would a bean bag work if I attached a lanyard to prevent it falling out of the window, otherwise I was thinking of a suction cup attachment. Help please I am lost :redface:
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Punda Maria 2 - 9 February 2017
Shingwedzi 9 - 15 February 2017

Letaba 15 - 22 February 2017
Satara 22 February - 1 March 2017

JDW

Re: Camera support for disabled

Unread post by JDW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Nkulu
A good bean bag will be more than adequate for your needs.
I always use one when taking pictures from a vehicle (make sure you turn the engine off otherwise you will get lots of vibration and very poor pictures).
I bought mine from Wildlife Watching Supplies - based in the UK.
Here is the link to their website - http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co. ... TION=Go%21
I take mine with me empty and fill it with uncooked rice - guess what we have for supper on the last evening!!!!!!!!!!
If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine or just a needle and thread they are easy to make and I'm sure there will be something on the web to help you.
Good luck
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:02 am

Hi Nkulu

Our bean bag is a recycled bank bag - dyed a funny green and with a zip put in at the top. It is filled with uncooked rice contained in a Ziplock bag. This makes it easy to fill/empty or wash the bag.

If you can't get hold of an old bag - get a rectangular piece of strong material, sew up the sides and put a zip into the opening - size is immaterial as it depends on how big you want to make it. If you feel that a cord/lanyard would be useful then it can be attached as you make the bag.

Hope this helps!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by yoda » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Nkulu wrote:I will be taking a disabled friend to KNP soon and need advice on a camera support as he only has the use of one arm. We will start off with my Canon SX110 so I really do not want to spend an arm and a leg. Would a bean bag work if I attached a lanyard to prevent it falling out of the window, otherwise I was thinking of a suction cup attachment. Help please I am lost :redface:

A few years ago, I saw the following which was used by an ederly gentleman at a gardening show.
It was a strap that went across his neck with a support down to his chest. There was a plastic projection that went to eye level, and his camera was mounted on that.

I asked him where he got it from, and he told me. I tried to track one down, but the company no longer existed and a search did not turn one up.
I want one, not because I am disabled, but in low light conditions, I think it would give extra support and reduce the chance of camera shake, especially when I do macro photography and I can't use my tripod.

Perhaps you could track one of these contraptions down for your friend?
Or if you know someone who is good with diy, perhaps one could be made for him?

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”