Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Balule Bash 2015

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:42 am

I sent out feelers to guage interest in the Bash for 2015 and the return was overwelming. So many 'mites want to be part of this unique birding event that we decided to arrange TWO Bashes this year, back-to-back, so that we will be able to have the services of the Balule Birding Guru, Brenden Pienaar, for both.

In essence the first Bash (24 to 27 November) is already fully subscribed. A few spots are still available on the second Bash (27 to 30 November). Any 'mite(s) interested to be part of this event, please PM me your email addy so that I can send you the Bash details.
677 Last 5 lifers: Caspian plover, Western marsh harrier, Rüppell's vulture, Spotted crake, Lesser jacana

maretam

Re: Balule Bash 2015

Unread post by maretam » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:08 am

Hi Johan

What is the costs and how does it work?

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:52 am

The time for this year's Bashes is drawing near. As mentioned earlier, we will run TWO Bashes back-to-back this year. The first Bash kicks off on 24 November. 'mites that are participating in the first event are Jakkie Human, Jaytea and Albert and I expect this thread to benefit from copious posts from them, penned and illustrated to convey their individual Bash experiences. I hope to convince the non-'mites on both the Bashes to convert their forum status and share their experiences here as well...

The second Bash starts on 27 November with a hot-seat change-over at Olifants Camp. Initially Ladybirder was the only 'mite on this second Bash, but, unfortunately, one of the participants had to withdraw and Bush Baptist jumped at the opportunity to snatch up the briefly vacated spot. So, we will have these two 'mites helping to keep the second Bash report honest! :lol:

Like with the 2014 event, BB and I will be doing a pre-Bash stint together (as would some other 'mites, I take it) and we intent using this thread to create vibrant feedback of the whole trip, something that can only succeed with contributions of as many participants as we can convince to join in. We intend birding the north for a few days before working our way down to Olifants for the start of the first Bash. BB will do his own thing for the three days of the first Bash and then join us again on the 27th for the hot-seat change-over and the start of the second Bash.

A little sad news is that Brenden, our star guide on all our previous Bashes had to withdraw from this year's double Bash. He got to be an expectant daddy, with the stork ETA around the time of our back-to-back Bashes. Having missed the birth of his first child as a result of bush commitments, Brenden is this time making sure that his diary is void of obligations around the delivery date. His spot will be taken up by Wayne Tebrake, an equally well qualified guide.

I hope to get all the Bashers to start writing about their Bash trips here. Some, like Jaytea who, together with her hubby, will be coming all the way from Canada, should have a unique take on the event and their trips will probably result in a unique and dedicated trip report in any event. If that happens, so be it! We will have a number of supportive parallel-running threads! :thumbs_up:

BB has made our bookings around the Bashes already and will be booking flights later today. Well, that brings home the fact that our trip kicks off 63 days from today! Already we are starting to compile lists of items we need to take with... :lol:
677 Last 5 lifers: Caspian plover, Western marsh harrier, Rüppell's vulture, Spotted crake, Lesser jacana

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 pm

:yaya: JvR, long time no see! :yaya: Looking forward to following your Bash adventures 8)
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Johan van Rensburg wrote:The time for this year's Bashes is drawing near. As mentioned earlier, we will run TWO Bashes back-to-back this year. The first Bash kicks off on 24 November. 'mites that are participating in the first event are Jakkie Human, Jaytea and Albert and I expect this thread to benefit from copious posts from them, penned and illustrated to convey their individual Bash experiences. I hope to convince the non-'mites on both the Bashes to convert their forum status and share their experiences here as well...

Copious posts, yes. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Probably a lot of drivel as well. :redface:

Seriously though, I am so looking forward to this! (Kind of a bucket-list thing....). As with BB and JvR, we will also be doing a pre-bash trip; unlike BB and JvR I still have to make my arrangements (and as JvR points out, only 60-odd days to go).
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:14 pm

Yipeeee .... one of my favourite forum 'events' to follow! :dance:

So - what is on those lists you are compiling? :hmz:
Sawubona
Dalene

jaytea
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Best Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2015)

Unread post by jaytea » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:18 am

Albert wrote: I am so looking forward to this! (Kind of a bucket-list thing....).

Totally agree with you Albert! :thumbs_up: Looking forward to our first Bash. Will be in Kruger and Mapungubwe for 16 days before the bash begins so hopefully will get some great birds on the list before the Bash even!
Of course I will post as much as I can in this thread JvR - I would like to get my other TR finished before I leave for SA and now the time is coming so fast!!! Bring it on!
A New Species each day! KNP Nov 2013
2015!
Nov 7-9 Skukuza, 10 Satara, 11-13 Mathikithi Trail, 14/15 Mopani, 16/17 Punda Maria
Nov 18-20 MAPUNGUBWE
Nov 21 Pafuri! , 22/23 Letaba
Nov 24-26 BALULE BASH
Nov 27 - Dec 3 - Ngwenya Lodge
Dec 4 Biyamiti

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:16 am

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I rest my case.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:33 am

Nice to see you on the forum again Johan! :dance: :dance:

Looking forward to read all about these two Bashes very much, as well as your pre-Bash experiences! :thumbs_up:

Enjoy the planning and preparations all the Bashers! :gflower:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

FORUMITES, have you read this announcement? If not, please do and participate! Annual Forum Awards 2016

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 am

arks wrote::yaya: JvR, long time no see! :yaya: Looking forward to following your Bash adventures 8)

It's been a while, arks... mostly work interferences :cry: and it is not going to get any better. That is why the Bash is going to be so very special for me. My birding time has all but dried up!

Albert wrote: Copious posts, yes. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Probably a lot of drivel as well. :redface:
Seriously though, I am so looking forward to this! (Kind of a bucket-list thing....). As with BB and JvR, we will also be doing a pre-bash trip; unlike BB and JvR I still have to make my arrangements (and as JvR points out, only 60-odd days to go).

After the comms behind the scenes I am holding thumbs that we will share an ember pre-Bash, Albert. You know our itinerary as well as our take on stalkers... :lol:

You and I have had quite a bit of forum interaction and I'm keen to add persona to the "drivel"! :lol:

DinkyBird wrote:Yipeeee .... one of my favourite forum 'events' to follow! :dance:

So - what is on those lists you are compiling? :hmz:

Heheheee...

It makes me all bashful to have you thus excited, Deebs :redface:

I will try my very best to maintain some veneer of prior TRs. Aren't you and Hawk having an outing up KNP-way at that time? You know, having some contact with you two has nearly become par for the Bash…

Anyhow... The "list" has just been started and currently contains mostly the mundane (you'll notice the driver here - my stomach! :redface: |): Coffee, sugar, coffee-mix ( :lol: not milk!), fire starter, red wine (I'm leaving out the numbers to save a little face), rusks, Middleburg T-bones, Middelburg corn-on-the-cob, skilpadjies, coleslaw, roosterkoek (type of bread filled with yummy that gets a quick toast on the cooler embers of a fire), clamp griller (toeknyp-rooster... still looking for a decent English name for this contraption - best invention since a troglodyte cut his finger on flint!), trail mix, dry wors, some fresh fruit in season, 20l of water.

The list WILL grow some in the next month and a bit…

I also have notes to myself about a power storage device having to be fully charged prior to the start of the back-to-back Bashes, also taking with two mini-solar panels as well as a car charger with multiple charge points. These items will be absolutely essential in ensuring all the electronics remain fully functional!

Then, I'm expecting a wish list from BB on the birds he missed out on last time. Of course I too have a birdlist, but mine is weirdly aimed at birds common in SA, but not yet on my KNP list...

jaytea wrote: Looking forward to our first Bash. Will be in Kruger and Mapungubwe for 16 days before the bash begins so hopefully will get some great birds on the list before the Bash even!
Of course I will post as much as I can in this thread JvR - I would like to get my other TR finished before I leave for SA and now the time is coming so fast!!! Bring it on!

jaytea! :yaya:

I'm very much looking forward to meeting you and hubby Christo! I know almost all the other 'mites from some previous encounters, but you “Canucks” will be another new set of ticks on my 'mite list! And thanks for so keenly jumping into this thread already! :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse wrote: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
I rest my case.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mouse, I guess you like reading about the Bashes as well...

hilda wrote:Nice to see you on the forum again Johan! :dance: :dance:
Looking forward to read all about these two Bashes very much, as well as your pre-Bash experiences! :thumbs_up:
Enjoy the planning and preparations all the Bashers! :gflower:

A rah-rah from hilda! :thumbs_up:

So, Bashers, you can already see the spectator stand filling up! Let's give the Bash-watchers a Bash experience to remember!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Johan van Rensburg wrote:
arks wrote: :yaya: JvR, long time no see! :yaya: Looking forward to following your Bash adventures 8)

It's been a while, arks... mostly work interferences :cry: and it is not going to get any better. That is why the Bash is going to be so very special for me. My birding time has all but dried up!

Sorry to hear about too much work and too little birding and glad that the bash will give you some respite. But it does explain your absence from the ID threads (and I had wondered), not to mention your many other valuable contributions. I'll hope that you'll be able to find more time for birding, despite your expectation that you won't. And that you have a very very very special Bash this year!
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Aren't you and Hawk having an outing up KNP-way at that time? You know, having some contact with you two has nearly become par for the Bash…
And for us, a great treat; but no such plans (yet) - just back from welcoming our third grandbaby in the US, so will postpone our Kruger summer trip to Jan ... but it is so tempting ...
Sawubona
Dalene

Pooh Bear
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pooh Bear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 pm

And of course I will be lurking around, catching up on the Balule Bash news for 2015.....

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:38 am

Pooh Bear wrote:And of course I will be lurking around, catching up on the Balule Bash news for 2015.....

That is just fabulous. :D
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:47 am

I'll take up another spot on the spectator stand! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Looking forward to hear all about it! :thumbs_up:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

Return to “Travel Tales”