Skip to Content

Most unique sightings and stories

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Pikkie

Re: weird sightings

Unread post by Pikkie » Sat May 16, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Sheldogz23

At the Granokop close to Skukuza while watching apride of lion just off the road, aleopard appeared about a hundred metres behind us! So we reversed only to see the leopard move deeper into the bush. Thinking that the leopard sighting was over, we went back to the lions and watched them for another 5 min when all of the sudden they shot up as the leopard passed them! The leopard crossed the road right in front of us and the lions after it in pursuit. The leopard was in the first available tree and as luck would have it that day right next to the road! the lions hung around for about 20 min and then left and the leopard not long after did the same!

A few days earlier we saw wild dog lying next to the road and the next moment they were up! they chased a leopard up a tree! This comotion lasted for about 30 min when the leopard made a duck for it.

A bout 4 years ago, at shingwedzi on the kanniedood road I spotted lions walking in the dry river bed. we followed them to where they rested. Watching them for a while we heard a noise in the bush just in front of us. It was a huge ellephant bull on its way to chase off the lions. While this was taking place somebody told us to look behind us for a leopard walked out of the bush passed behind our vehicle and sat there for a few moments so that we could take pics.

These are some; I suppose the most memorable
I am blessed!

sheldogz23

Unread post by sheldogz23 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:19 am

:thumbs_up: thats crazy you must be really lucky
another one. we just drove in at croc bridge and within 5km from the gate we saw 8 rhino and alot of people stopping about 100 metres infront of us. so we drove up next to a guy and asked him what he saw. he told us to look at the leopard in the tree but as we stopped 3 cheetahs appeared on a mound of sand right underneath i dont think they even saw the leopard. at the end of that day we ended up seeing 9 rhino and getting caught up inbetween a huge herd of buffalo :mrgreen:
{PANTHERA PARDUS}

RichardJ
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ » Sun May 17, 2009 5:43 pm

sheldogz23 wrote:WOW :thumbs_up: those are all awesome sightings but does any1 hav pictures of things like that happening
:huh:

Hi sheldogz23 please see a previous posting of a leopard being chased by lion in 'rarely rare KTP sightings page 9'
link to story

and lion being chased by buffalo

link to buffalo

No pics of your sighting shelodz23?

sheldogz23

Unread post by sheldogz23 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:05 pm

These are the lions

This was the leopard crossing the road

These were the cheetah

Unfortunately the leopard was behind a clump of leaves but this is a leopard i spotted in the reeds

I'm soz to anyone who thought i got pictures of them both in the same place but im only 15 and i might be good photographer but im not superman or speedy gonzalez haha lol
{PANTHERA PARDUS}

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Not sure if this was broken or the horn developed that way but it sure looked weird. :? :wink:

ImageLarge
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

CuriousCanadian
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by CuriousCanadian » Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Poor guy...must be always bashing into trees.... :(
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

bishop3006
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bishop3006 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 pm

In books one finds reference of sable and roan being taken by lions, though not too often.

I distinctly remember one somewhere, can't remember whether it is in Wolhuter's Memories of a game ranger, of the author telling of some lions taking on a mature sable bull. He did what they do best. Laid down with his backside in a thornbush to protect that, facing the lions. With a sweep of his horns he could clear either side - and did so, killing at least one lioness, and I seem to remember that there were others injured as well.

The cows are far easier prey than a bull.
Marius
Hunter, angler, nature lover, conservationist.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Richprins

Re: Abnormal Mammal Photo's

Unread post by Richprins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:38 pm

An interesting abberation from Golden Gate

(Read the fine print)

CUSTOS 1991

Richprins

Unread post by Richprins » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Welcome, Back To Nature!

There is some debate as to whether deformed horns may be caused by "childhood injuries", so to speak, or by genes!

Obviously the eland had a genetic problem, with 3 horns, and the nasty part is the horns penetrate the skull as they grow in that direction...

A similar problem was found with an Impala some years ago...will try to find the pic! :?

Jeanus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jeanus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Rp

Your last picture is of a normal juvinile male Nyala. They are born the same colour as the females and slowly darken as they age. If you look at the ridge on the back you will see a distinct male/female difference - the white is begining to show on the black.

The theory that makes the most sense to me on this phenominan has to do with two interesting Nyala behaviours

The young stay with their mothers for a long time - sometimes you will see a female with three different ages on young with her.

The males have a dominance system that seems in part to have to do with size and colour markings kicking in the "dance" that moves the weaker ones away.

The theory is that the young are born coloured the same as their mothers to avoid being "moved out" by the big males.
"The grass is always greener over the sceptic tank"

Richprins

Unread post by Richprins » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks very much, Jeanus!

I agree the young are similar.

What I should perhaps have added is that this individual was pretty much full "ewe-size", so the darkening and horn growth should be moving pretty fast by now! :wink:

Maybe the "whitening is also genetically related"...

Take your point, though...will see if someone can see her this year!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:36 pm

This poor Impala certainly had the most odd looking horns.
Seen in Kruger this March.

ImageLarge
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Oh the "Toro olè" :lol:

rskippy

Unread post by rskippy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:48 am

Not that strange, but I saw this elephant with a bend in her trunk at the spekboom hide in Addo last year in about July.

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 pm

and no tusks :shock:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Return to “Mammals”