Skip to Content

Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Nicolette

Re: Need recommendations for night drives/ ranger walk in Kr

Unread post by Nicolette » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 pm

I actually phoned the camps they numbers are on the website. For Night drives themselevs you can book via telephone at Central reservations. +27124289111

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Help on Berg-en-Dal Night Drive

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun May 20, 2012 5:12 pm

BnD certainly does night drives - from 1830 to 2100. Book when you get there. Elsa is correct - I often end up being called to do them!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Help on Berg-en-Dal Night Drive

Unread post by normana53 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Rob C, if you get a chance to do a night drive with ecojunkie you won't be disappointed. She is very knowledgable and just an all around nice person. She seems to know where to go to find treasures.
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti/Satara or Lower -Sabie: best game drive?

Unread post by tent dweller » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Hello Geckophobe, if I had a 6 year old I would not do a night drive (it is freezing in July), we are also in Tamboti in July and we have booked to do a morning drive, we do a sunset drive every year when on holiday. A sunset drive lets you have the best of both, you have the last few hours of the day, then always a spectacular sunset and then you also have a bit of the Kruger at night. Don't get your expectations up to high because you never know what you might see or might not see. Have a wonderful trip
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

George P M

Unread post by George P M » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm in full agreement about night-drives in winter - they can get very cold very quickly! I also agree with the general sentiment that a sunset drive is a far better proposition....especially for the younger ones! We've had a fair number of drives in the Park, and the sunset ones are the best of both worlds......

Night drives are great if you're into the smaller stuff - hares, bushbabies etc - but even if you spot something big and hairy, you're restricted to the beam of the spotlight.

When on a sunset drive, the transition between daylight and night is magical in iteself.... We saw a couple of youngsters get so excited about 'what could be lurking out there' -

My suggestion? Sunset drives every time!! :mrgreen:

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 am

George P M, we always try to sit at the back of the game drive vehicle and when looking behind us it becomes very clear to see how dark the bush really is, we have numerous photographs of the pure darkness, they are wonderful. Staying in a big city like Johannesburg we don't really see "real" darkness because of all the light coming from traffic lights,houses, street lights etc.
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

pedro maia

Chosing guides in game drives

Unread post by pedro maia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Is it possible to chose the guides in game drives (I mean, if there is more than one game drive at the same time)?

I booked one sunset drive at BnD and one mornig drive at Skukuza, if it´s possible to ask for a specific guide can someone please tell me who should I ask for?

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Chosing guides in game drives

Unread post by bert » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Sorry, but dont believe specific guides can be asked for.
Guides have different duties and they are planned into a roster
Some specialize but they all do walks and drives.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm

The best thing though is to get the guide animated.... So ask questions, and when you hear the answers be appriciative.
Even the shy guides have enough knowledge and anecdotes, just get them going. ;)
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

annapangolin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annapangolin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Couldn't agree more with DuQues-- if you want an awesome guide, then just be an awesome guest :)

billh

Unread post by billh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 pm

As it happens when I booked a morning drive - won't say where - I asked for a guide by name and was told it could be arranged, and it was. Now it might have been great salesmanship by the front desk manager and the guide was scheduled already but if you don't ask you never will know.

Shushin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Morning at Evening game drives Satara,Lower Sabie

Unread post by Shushin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 am

Thank you Foxy.
After a little digging I found the page but had to google to find:( http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... drives.php
May 2014
3 Skukuza
4-6 Letaba
7-11 Satara
12-15 Olifants
16-19 Lower Sabie
20-22 Croc Bridge

Elsa

Re: Morning at Evening game drives Satara,Lower Sabie

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

As Foxy has said you can book them directly with the camp you are staying in at the time when you check in at reception
Unless its a very busy time you can generally get in.

Also have a read Here

vinkie
Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa

Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Unread post by vinkie » Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am

Hi Ernani,

You have a lot of questions I hope these answers will help you....have fun Booking and enjoy the trip.

Which of these will offer the better sunset & sunrise drives this time of year to your opinion?

You are staying in Lower Sabie this is one of the best camps for Game Drives

What times are the sunrise/sunset drives start and how long?

Sunset drives

This activity leaves before the sun sets and gets back once the sky is dark. Experienced guides drive the groups. Inquire at the reservations offices or at the camp you are staying in, about going on this drive.

Night Drives

Take part in the nocturnal activities of Kruger's secretive creatures. Experienced guides drive the groups. Inquire at the reservations offices or at the camp you are staying in, about going on this drive. The sunset drive departs at 17:00 and lasts at least 3 hours.

Morning drives

Leave at around 04.30 in summer and 05.30 in winter. Clients are to confirm with Reception the previous night when they book in to their accommodation. As per day walks, accommodation must be booked for the previous night at the camp, as walks/drives leave before the gates open officially. The drive’s duration is 3-4 hours.

Can children age 9 join without their parents, please?

Note that children under the age of 6 are not permitted to take part in these activities for their own safety, so I think that when they are 9 years old it wouldn't be a problem....but I would ask first before making a reservation(I wouldn't let my childeren go on a Game Drive without the parents...but that's my opinion).

Take a look at this part of the SANParks Website: Kruger Game Drives, all the info I posted is from this section. :wink:
Live life on the edge but be careful not to fall off! :wink:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

:dance: Planning our 2017 trip to Kruger National Park or Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park :dance:

saraf

Re: Best camp to book evening gamedrive...?

Unread post by saraf » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi Sander,

I've done drives from Punda Maria, Shingwedzi and Satara and would recommend them. Thomas at Punda Maria is very good and will stop to explain all about the trees as well as the animals. Not sure you'll see a leopard though, Satara will probably be best.

However it really does depend on right place right time for how good the drives are.

To book in advance it's best to email reservations@sanparks.org with your Reservation Number and ask them to add it to your booking. Then reconfirm when you check in at the camp - just so you get your indemnity form and the time and place of departure. Make sure they write the time on your form, I've had arguments with guides before now when reception has told me the wrong time!
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”