Skip to Content

Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Sunset or night drive

Unread post by Imberbe » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 pm

I agree, the sunset drive give in my opinion in principle a better deal. You get the best of both worlds. Individual drives may of course differ.

Crocodile bridge do offer night drives ... but ... only if the sunset drive is fully booked, and there are enough people to warrant a night drive. So their default option is the sunset drive.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

macktheknife

Unread post by macktheknife » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:13 pm

I personally prefer the night drive as I get slightly more time to experience what I can't during the daylight hours, but I would always do at least one of each if possible.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Dabchick wrote:I'm glad to see so many people prefer sunset drives! - it means that there are less of a chance that night drives are booked out when I'm there

Well that's what makes life great - different people like different things - so we don't all like and do the same! But I'm also on the "Sunset drive-bandwagon". I've seen genets on all my sunset drives. The sunset drive usually starts 30 min before gate closing time and lasts about 3 hours. Gate closing time usually coincides with sunset. This means that on a sunset drive - you've got about 30-45 min of daytime, 15-30min sunset time and 2 hours night time! And during those 2 hours is when you see all the night time animals...
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

clicked-on-safari

Some Ideas For a peaceful Trip To KNP

Unread post by clicked-on-safari » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:55 pm

The topic on bad game drives due to other visitors caught my eye.
So my idea is if I book a drive and pay for the minimum number of guest ( 4 or 6) required will I be able to go out on my own with the guide. Experienced visitors want to see it all where as newbies want lions and lions and lions.
As I am in the park during a quite time I think it may be possible to get away with it.

As a keen photographer I will have to stick some part of my hand/upper body to use support systems to steady the large lenses ( bean bag or specific door bracket), would this minor and occasional infringement of the rules be a no no.

Imberbe

Re: Some Ideas For a peaceful Trip To KNP

Unread post by Imberbe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 pm

If you pay for all the seats, the drive is yours! If not, you cannot complain if other people join the drive. It is possible at many of the camps to book a day drive or a half day drive. Often, these will not be as popular as a night drive, especially since they are not scheduled. You may be able to get away with paying the minimum amount on them.

Having an arm protrude, should not get you in to trouble ... well at least not with the humans. But beware of some animals! But hanging out, having say your arm and shoulders out of the vehicle is not allowed.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:28 am

As Imberbe said if you want a private drive you have to pay for all the seats - minimum 10, and then make sure you specifically request a 10-seater for a private drive or you could find you have paid for 10 and still end up on a large truck with other guests! Not all camps will be able to accomodate this request, so make it early to allow them time to sort it out. We do it fairly often in this part of Kruger.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

francoisd

Unread post by francoisd » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:17 am

Have a look at the "New Additional Drive Options" on this page.

You can maybe email Skukuza directly. At that time the rate request was also forwarded to Letaba and Berg-en-Dal by the lady at Skukuza but those camps never replied.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: NIGHT DRIVES WITHIN THE PARK

Unread post by GlenD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Mel

Children under the age of 6 are not allowed on drives. The 12yrs rule is for bush walks and wilderness trails.

Andreas_79

Re: Drives

Unread post by Andreas_79 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Ralph and Lenny,

on our recent trip we did sunset drives at Lower Sabie, Satara, Letaba und Punda Maria and all were fantastic.
I liked them very much as we saw both diurnal and nocturnal animals.

As mentioned before - sunset drives and morning walks is a very good combination.

Many regards,

Andreas
http://www.mywildlifephotos.de - Oktober 2011: new photos from my trip to Kenya and the Serengeti.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: advice booking GAME DRIVES in Kruger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Get to the drive start point early, other do.
You then have the choice of seats.
I usually sit next to a 'window' if I can.
Take binos, they help with distant sightings
Dress warmly, it can get very cold as the still air hits you, as the vehicle moves along.
Don't expect the boring 'big 5', but prepare for nocturnal animals and birds.
Otherwise you might get a stunning sighting, like a serval or civet, and not realize it.
Don't be shy.
Ask your guide any questions.
The others will benefit from the answers as well. They were too shy to ask.
Good luck - that is really what a night ride is about!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

roaneric
FAC Member (2016)

Re: Sunset Drive VS Night Drive

Unread post by roaneric » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 am

Hello Joubie

The sunset drive usually starts an hour before sunset and last for about 3 hours. The night drive is for 2 hours and starts from 20:00, depending on the camp.

I would also choose the sunset drive, it's more magical with the sun setting and we usually see preditors getting active just as the sun is setting. I haven't been on a drive in Talamati, but on a few drives in Satara, and you will not regret it.

Enjoy your trip
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: night drives from Berg-en-dal

Unread post by spargish » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 pm

I really Enjoy drives from Berg en dal as there is always quite a bit of predator activty around the camp, and Raymond, Texan and Stanley are awesome guides. :mrgreen:

The reason Crocodile Bridge would have been more expensive would have been if you are coming from outside the Park as they add conservation fee's onto the drive price
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

VANPTA

KNP Sunset Drive / Night Drive

Unread post by VANPTA » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:41 pm

Hello all, please can you guys share your opinion on the sunset drive and night drives in KNP. Are they worth it? What is the difference between the 2? Why do only some camps offer the "night drive" and why do the prices differ from drive to drive and camp to camp?

Joao

Re: KNP Sunset Drive / Night Drive

Unread post by Joao » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Hallo VANPTA

The sunset drives leave camp about a hour before gate closing time and stay out for three hours.

The night drive leave camp after dark and stay out for only two hours.

Both drives are great. What I enjoy most about the sunset drive is to see all the other visitors going back to camp while you drive in the opposite direction. :twisted:

kmyburgh

Re: KNP Sunset Drive / Night Drive

Unread post by kmyburgh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi VANPTA,

I preffer the sunset drive. Its like the best of both. When the drive start it is not completely dark yet, and then after some time it gets dark and they take out the spot lights.

But yes, both drives is great!

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”