Skip to Content

Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps.

Unread post by kite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, one of the factors to consider is whether you are an early morning person or a late night owl!
A sunset or night drive means being out late on the roads with a good chance of seeing nocturnal animals and getting a feel for the park without the daytime activities and traffic.

pviral

Question for Sunset/Sunrise Drives

Unread post by pviral » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:05 am

We are taking sunrise; sunset; night drive; morning walk at Satara and taking sunset drive/sunrise drive at Lower Sabie and night drive at Olifants.

1. What vehicles they use for sunset/sunrise drive offered by camps?
2. Do you suggest night drive and afternoon river walk in Olifants?
3. Shall we will take sunrise and sunset at Skukuza
4. How many passengers per vehicle? Are the vehicle 10 seaters?

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Question for Sunset/Sunrise Drives

Unread post by saraf » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:15 pm

The size of the vehicle depends on the number of guests booked on the drive. The smaller camps will use the 10 seater but the larger camps like Satara and Lower Sabie will use the 20-seater ones, as their drives tend to be popular.

I think the walks go out on the 10 seaters as they have a maximum of 8 guests.

You are doing rather a lot of the drives - are you leaving yourself enough time to go out on your own?
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

FaBecky

Night Drives Vs Sunset Drives

Unread post by FaBecky » Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi guys

We're going to the Kruger for the first time in June and we're wondering if anyone has any advice on the various drives one can book?'

Currently we're looking at Sunset and Night drives from Croc Bridge and Olifants. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what we should do?

Also, what's the difference between a night drive and an external night drive?

All info is very welcome :)

Thanks

FB

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Night Drives Vs Sunset Drives

Unread post by Hugh » Mon May 04, 2015 8:53 pm

Usually the sunset drive is longer than the night drive You leave camp before gate closing when its still light then You are driven around and watch the sun go down and watch the nght critters come out the Night drive is later in the evening shorter than the sunset drive .
The difference between the night drive and external night drive is that folk are picked up at one of the gates They are not staying in the park and they get the same drive as the Park residents
Hope that helps . I am sure others will come along who have more experience than I have
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Warm welcome to the forum FaBecky! :clap:

Please do have a read through the Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps. where apart from the advice Hugh has already given you, there is lots of info with regards the various drives.

For other topics you might find useful, do have a look through our Index to Activities and Sightings

Enjoy and best wishes for a wonderful trip!
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 am

Avery warm welcome

Sorry about the copy paste :mrgreen:

Which drive is better is always going to be a matter of opinion.

We love both, and would not be able to pic which is better, so will just highlight the differences.
• Night drive 2 hours, sunset 3 hours.
• Night drive cheaper
• Sunset usually has a good deal of full daylight and full night time, so a good medium.
• Night drives usually less people
• Only 1 set of clothes needed for night drive. Sunset drive you will usually start with a pile of clothes in a bag or in front of you and by the end they all on you.

I hope this helped. I maintain that if you can do both, then do it. But I would recommend that you do not book too many activities, or else your holiday becomes dominated by what time you need to be where for which activity.

Have an awesome visit.
August/September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 am

FaBecky wrote:Currently we're looking at Sunset and Night drives from Croc Bridge and Olifants. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on what we should do?
Also, what's the difference between a night drive and an external night drive?

This is the response from SANParks PR

Lesley Nyawo wrote:Crocodile Bridge does offer the following drives:

1. Sunset Drive
Costs R384
Duration is 3 hours

2. Night Drive
Costs R303
Duration is 2 hours

The prices are the same for both National and International guest regardless of where the guest is staying.
Guests can contact Crocodile Bridge Camp on 013 735 6012 to book for the drives and further enquiries.Regards

Please not that Olifants does not do external drives.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 am

Just to add my 50 cents...

The sunset drives usually leave camp at 4pm and returns at 07:00pm

The night drives usually leave camp at 07:30pm and return at 09:00pm

chirinda

Unread post by chirinda » Thu May 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Whichever one you choose, dress warmly, very warmly, it is freezing up on the truck, especially you will be there in June. I always take a blanket to wrap myself in as well as all the clothes, scarf, hat, etc etc etc. I think the wind chill when the vehicle is moving makes it so cold, never mind the nighttime temps.

FaBecky

Unread post by FaBecky » Fri May 08, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you all for all the advice! We've booked ourselves on one of each now following these comments!
Went for a Sunset Drive at Croc Bridge. Very excited for that.
Good to know about the clothing too. Judging by your comments chirinda it might seem we underestimated a little bit how cold it gets in the winter, but we'll make sure to pack enough warm clothes now!

Thanks again, great so many people are posting advice and help on this forum. Very handy :D

gregdeklerk

Skukuza sunset drive or night drive?

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Wed May 13, 2015 7:40 am

We are going to Skuks in July and want to book a game drive. Would you recommend a sunset drive or night drive? Sunset obviously leaves earlier and is 3 hours and the night drive leaves later and is only 2 hours.

josette06

Unread post by josette06 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:25 am

Hello
I am going to KNP in 2 weeks and try to find out where to do the morning drive and where for the sunset one between
the 3 camps I am visiting : Skukuza / Satara and Olifants
Where are the best opportunities in the morning .
Shame the people who have the same question do not come back to tell their experience once back !!!!
Is morning drive in Olifants a good idea ? and sunset or night drive in SKukuza or Satara

Tks for your advices

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:18 am

A very warm welcome to you josetta :gflower:

You are staying at some lovely camps that should offer good sightings this time of the year.

My gut would suggest morning drive at Skukuza, and sunset at Satara.

Skukuza has an interesting diversity of roads and getting out before the normal traffic means that you may well hit the predators before they disappear for their daily nap. I love all areas in the early morning, but Skuks can be particularly exciting.

My next suggestion would be Satara for an evening drive. Satara is really a great place for predators. The S100 is particularly well known. The problem can be the amount of traffic in the day time at certain sightings. Doing a sundowner drive means that you can enjoy sightings alone.

Do dress warmly. particularly for the morning drive. More than one person has not enjoyed the experience, due to the freezing chill. I always wear lots of layers, including very warm gloves and something to cover my face.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

gregdeklerk

How safe are the open game viewing vehicles?

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Just being a silly tourist in light of the lion attack at the lion park in Joburg, where a person in a vehicle was grabbed from an open window and killed.

I know a leopard took a ranger, near Berg en Dal, but he was out of the vehicle.

I was just wondering how safe the Sanparks open game viewing vehicles actually are?

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”