Nkuhlu Picnic Site

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: NKUHLU PICNIC AREA

Unread postby Grantmissy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 am

Crested Val wrote:We were there in April, and found everything in order.

So did we in May :thumbs_up: The baboons were also not around when we were there.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 am

we were there last month and I did feel sorry for the staff. There was a lady at each entrance of the shop and the second one moved away to serve a customer the monkey was in. They love to pinch things especially nuts and marshmallows. When we were leaving the people parked next to us had left a window open and the monkey was having a good old time exploring inside. If the people do silly things like that then it is a loosing battle for the poor staff

Afriphile

Unread postby Afriphile » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 am

A friend told me an amusing story about Nkhulu picnic spot.
He and his wife stopped there and got out some food.They were aware that they were being watched from the trees but the monkeys kept there distance.
He then decided to walk to the toilets,and told his wife to stay at the table and if a monkey approached to stand up and make some noise.
As he left the toilets he saw a large male vervet approach the table,at which his wife stood up to her full 5 ft,and banged the table and growled at the intruder.
The monkey growled back and calmly jumped up and helped himself to the food!
She was across the car park and back in the car in a split second.
Needless to say we have never let her forget it!!

Thalie

Unread postby Thalie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm

We have great memories of Nkuhlu (despite the monkeys)... I know the question is slightly off topic, but do they still serve buffalo pies there?

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:04 pm

No unfortunately not unless things have changed since we were last there a few months back. :(
You can still get venison pies at Tshokwane. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Thalie

Re: Nkuhlu Picnic Site

Unread postby Thalie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 am

What a shame - used to be the best meals you could get in the park. The venison pies are good, too, though, so we'll have to plan a couple of lunch breaks at Tshokwane next time we visit. Thanks for the info!

Xankanka

Unread postby Xankanka » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:02 pm

What a shame :( NO BUFF PASTIE :(

I was so looking forward to eating one in a month time (It's been three years)

Ah well, a boerewors roll is nice as well, I suppose.

Luckily Tsokwane is on my list, so I can always try their Venison Pie/Pastie. :D

Xankie

Dirk

Unread postby Dirk » Tue May 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Good day
How do you pronounce Nkuhlu, i know it means Natal Mahogany.
Thanks.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm

Hmmm!

Not sure if its the correct way as its a Tsonga word but I say the n as in the lower case, so... n-cush-lu.
Hope that helps or even makes sense! :wink:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Tue May 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Elsa wrote:.. n-cush-lu.

:thumbs_up:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Delene D » Tue May 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Wacktazz left Nkuhlu a few years back, While he was there the Buff pasties were in great demand. He also kept the vervets at bay by taking his rifle and letting off a shot into the trees (not where the vervets were but nearby) and they would disappear But when he left the buff pies stopped and the vervets became a nuisance again. If humans would just obey the laws and not feed the critters places like Nkuhlu would be such a treasure.

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby cheetahlady » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:15 pm

This is such a beautiful spot, but the baboons and vervets make visiting the site a nightmare. We stopped there twice during our June visit. One the first occasion, we cooked breakfast (our initial plan to go to Mlondozi was changed due to some doggies :whistle: ). We were not able to relax and enjoy the site as we had to constantly watch for baboons/monkeys. While there, a young boy had some food taken out of his hand by a baboon, he was traumatized. If he even saw a baboon within 20 meters, he started screaming. His family eventually packed up and left.

We stopped once more on our way from Skukuza to Lower Sabie to use the toilets and make some coffee. A baboon took a packet of candied ginger from my MIL. She is a small woman and the baboon was not scared of her at all. She said the baboon grabbed her leg, fortunately not hurting her, but it was a shock.

This troop is brazen. They are not scared off by females or kids. They are more wary of men. I am not sure what SANParks can do about this situation. One family had a few tasers that they fired which seemed to scare off the baboons, but this is not ideal. There is an employee who uses a slingshot to chase away the baboons, but he has other duties and there is only one of him against many baboons. All the visitors that I saw did not feed the animals or leave food on the tables ( even people ordering from the shop cleared their scraps and took their plates inside ).

I am concerned that someone could end up seriously hurt by one of the baboons if they put up any resistance.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:44 am

Cheetahlady, it is a beautiful spot and I really hope that something is done soon. I do think that with the right vision and support, this can once more become a place of peace and enjoyment.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Any updates on the situation at Nkulu?
We have also witnessed a baboon helping himself to food before the picnickers could eat ,even though they were vigilant.

wildebeeste

Unread postby wildebeeste » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:28 am

My wife and I visited Nkulu Picnic Site in mid-May of 2015. We intended having lunch on the lower section, near the river. I did see a large Baboon go over the fence into the trees beside the river, and I therefore focussed my attentions on some Vervets nearby.

In an instant, the Baboon was over the fence and took our lunch. I gave chase with a large stick, so the Baboon dropped most of our lunch, and then calmly ate the bread that he(?) had managed to keep, just sitting outside the nearby fence. I would not advise anybody to copy my impetuous actions, they have such large teeth.

I'm not sure that there is an easy solution. We will always return to Nkulu, although we miss the pies. I guess that we will have our lunch in our car, and then go down and enjoy the ambience of Nkulu.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”