Skip to Content

Sightings to see, not seen

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
barryels

Re: Sightings to see, not seen

Unread post by barryels » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am

Bush Baptist wrote:I don't see lions on the S100 hilda, but that doesn't mean they are not there. :wink:

We neither BB :wink: . Were at Satara for 4 nights and no lions on S100 which we drove 3 times (only to get to the S41) :evil: .

I think it is the fact that we leave early and come back close to closing time that we missed the birds at the shop at Pkop :hmz: . Saw some brown-headed parrots in front of our bungalow though :whistle: .
Always be humble and understanding

Off to Kruger:
17-19/10/2016 Letaba
20-22/10/2016 Punda
23-25/10/2016 Shingwedzi
26-28/10/2016 Mopani

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 am

I know they must be there BB, but they hide from us! I get so jealous of other people's wonderful sightings at places that we visited round about the same time, but missed out on, for instance, the Turaco, or even Roan or Sable! But maybe one day our luck will change, and will see all of them, plus a Trumpeter Hornbill when up North! :thumbs_up:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:03 am

It took my dad 50 years, and quite a few visits to see his first leopard.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Riaanf31

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 pm

Lions on the S100 is a myth.

Purple Crested Turaco on the other hand I've seen a few times. The latest was in a tree right overhead when waiting for a slow puncture to be fixed at the local garage in Skukuza Camp. Have also seen them ply overhead whilst 'cooling off' in the Skuks 'pond'.

Your old man must've loved the bush to keep going for 50 years. And some terrible timing to wait that long for his first Pantera Pardus.

In Sept we saw Serval on a night drive at Satara and then that night a AWC walked straight past our dinner table as we were munching away on some braai food. the picture will soon appear. You'll see it soon when the SO's TR calles Moms & 'Mites on a mission in KNP.
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

ROTTWEILER

Unread post by ROTTWEILER » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:10 am

I see that the initial post was opened nearly 5 years ago . I sincerely hope that some of those people who have posted after that have managed to tick those empty boxes . I have had the pleasure of visiting the Kruger Park on 7 previous times for a total of about 40 days . I have been lucky enough to see leopard on 3 occasions , cheetah (5) on one occasion , caracal once and a number of wild dog , lion and sable . However , there is one large mammal which I have yet to lay eyes on . Some may find it a bit odd but my sighting which I still have to see is the eland . I have spent very little time north of Olifants , but hope to rectify that in a couple of years time . Looking forward to it and hope to see a number of eland as I should be spending a week at Shingwedzi .

skywalker2251

Unread post by skywalker2251 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Here's my wishlist of things unseen:

Small leopard cubs
Small cheetah cubs
Pangolin
Caracal
Aardvark
Puffadder and Black Mamba (from a reasonable distance)
Black Rhino during the day - I saw my first Black Rhino last year on a night drive from Lower Sabie, but didn't get any good photos

Riaanf31

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi All,

Rottweiler - You are in good company here. Eland is also an antelope that I'm yet to see within KNP.

Of the animals I've wished to see the Black Rhino still eludes me and the night creatures are elusive for obvious reason.

Skywalker2251 - It would awesome to see the young as you've got on your wishlist. As for Pangolin and Aardvark, that would just be pot luck. There have been a few recent posts on this forum and other platform of people seeing them, but they are rarely seen.

Haha, I'm with you on the snake sightings. Over the years I've hardly seen any in KNP.

Rohan and Sable are antelope that I've not seen for a few years so I'd be more than happy to have a chance encounter when we next visit the magical KNP.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Garyd73 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:38 pm

I have only visited 3 times and my 4th is coming up soon where I have a long list of things I hope to see. I have been very lucky with multiple sightings on almost every visit of Leopard and cubs, Cheetah, Sable, Honey Badger but these are the ones I really want:

Any Owl
Any Snake
Black Rhino

Some of my favourite sightings in all my visits have been seeing Impala jumping and Zebra rolling in the dust on there backs as well as the Baobab tree's. The park is so much more than the big 5.
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days
KNP - May 2016 - 10 Days

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:13 pm

When in October will you be in Kruger Garyd73? Maybe our paths will cross somewhere? We will also be in the Park in October. Our dates and camps are in my signature below. :thumbs_up:

I wish you all your sightings on your wishlist, plus many more! Travel safe and enjoy! :dance: :dance:
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

MKoch

Unread post by MKoch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am

Hi everyone.

I think we have seen most animals through out the years visiting the park, but 1 eludes us. Caracal.
Would love to see one in the wild.
Shingwedzi 27Feb - 1Mrt, Letaba 2-5Mrt

Kaykay

Unread post by Kaykay » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Saw Sable twice over 20 years ago now. Every year we look around Pretoriuskop and never find them. We have missed them by as little as an hour I believe. This year going up to Satara and hoping we'll be lucky up there :cam:

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Garyd73 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey Hilda, we are in the park from 11th-21st October this time. I am just waiting confirmation of where we will be staying but I think it's likely to be Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara and then Lower Sabie or Skukuza depending on where they could fit us in.

Once we know for sure I will see if we are crossing over anywhere. Even though my last visit was April it has taken so long to come around, will be so nice to see some of the Northern park and also have a few extra days. We leave 3 weeks today and have a few days in Botswana, Durban and the Rovos train before entering the park. I can almost smell it already.
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days
KNP - May 2016 - 10 Days

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:03 pm

:thumbs_up: Garyd73!

Melman

Unread post by Melman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I still have not seen the very elusive Piecos :wink:

Riaanf31

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 pm

We're heading to the North for the first time ever so I'll be getting my chance to go 'hunting' for Pel's Fishing Owl. Or I can dream about it at least.

There is a very long wait that now starts. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”