Skip to Content

Biyamiti sunset drive vs Sirheni night drive

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Lizes

Biyamiti sunset drive vs Sirheni night drive

Unread post by Lizes » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Hi,

If I may, would like to hear opinions regarding a sunset drive at Biyamiti vs a night drive at Sirheni (only drives available at these camps). We are visting in the June school holidays. Based on users' experience, what can we expect in terms of overall experience, and the possibility of special sightings (leopard, hyena, owls, porcupine, cerval) - I know it is luck of the draw on the day, but where will be the best chance? I would love to do both, but at R300 per person for the four of us, we can probably only afford one. Or should we really, really do both?

Thanks in advance!

Elsa

Re: Biyamiti sunset drive vs Sirheni night drive

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Lize! :clap:

In case you have not already had a read through the 2 topics Biyamiti Bush Camp game drives and Biyamiti private road (S139) Magic road for some idea of what gets seen in that area.
Of course as you rightly say its all about the right time and place and one can never really predict what sort of drive you are going to have on any given day or night but I think just being out after hours and seeing some of the nocturnal creatures one doesn't see during the day is a treat.
Unfortunately there is no specific topic on the drives from Sirheni camp but have a read through the info in there.
For me, I would chose Biyamiti camp for the drives as I think there is more diversity in that area, but on the night, one never knows!
Difficult choice I know! :wink:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Not been on a drive at either but just judging by the areas they are in would pick biyamiti. Sirheni is a nice little camp but its northern kruger so when we were there the once didn't see much, biyamiti is in the south so usually see more there.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

PHVDM

Unread post by PHVDM » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I would go for Biyamiti. Much more diverse in species.
15/04 Crocodile bridge
16/04 Berg en Dal
29/06 Olifants
30/06 Shingwedzi

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:29 pm

I agree - Biyamiti - same reasons as already mentioned. :thumbs_up:
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-31 July 2016 - Shingwedzi

Merlin11

Unread post by Merlin11 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi Lizes, we have never been lucky enough to stay at Sirheni, so cannot comment on those drives but we were lucky enough to stay at Biyamiti last year and can only recommend the sunset drive. As everyone says it is right time right place, but we were extremely fortunate on both of our drives from Biyamiti.

The drive was in a 10 seater vehicle but actually there was only way 3 of us on the drive, we had Bridgeman as a guide and he went to lengths to ensure he knew where our interests were, something we never experienced on any of the other sunset drives we went on from 4 other camps. Being such a small group he constantly talked with us, not only about the animals,but the birds and the fauna and flora, we learnt so much from him. He had asked us what we would love to see and he delivered both! I guess once he knew what we would really like to see he headed to areas where we stood a chance of achieving that sighting.

We enjoyed that drive so much we went back for more the next evening when, there was just the two of us and again the drive exceeded our expectations not only from the sightings and also from listening and learning so much from Bridgeman.

Lizes

Unread post by Lizes » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks for everybody's input thus far! :

zivvy&muffin

Unread post by zivvy&muffin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:50 pm

We've done both.
I'd save every last Rand and go for both :), that's the only way to compare and enjoy the different elements each will offer.

From Sirheni we saw Lions and Side-striped Jackal, African Wild Cat(s) and at least two different Owls ... the drive also stopped at Babalala which is interesting in the pitch black and with no other vehicles on the roads.

Of course, Biyamiti is better in terms of raw Big Five specials (on average) and comes into its own about 30 mins before Gate closing times as the Park settles down for the evening. It'll also be slightly warmer at that time of the evening. We did luck across a pair of porcupine on one sunset drive about an hour after sundown.

Decisions .. decisions

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:44 am

Good Morning Lize

I hope this reply is not too late as you mentioned that you are coming this side for June school holidays.

I can only advice for Biyamiti as I have been working here for the past 3 ½ years.

First of all welcome Home (Biyamiti). When I look at the menu on your wish list I see a big smile on your face on your departure day from Biyamiti…..except for the Serval “we don’t have them on stock in Biyamiti” the habitat doesn’t allowed us to stock them in piles Lol but as I always say “animals have legs, surely they can walk” I have seen a Serval twice on the road between the camp and S25 (4km road) soo the chances are there though very low. As for leopards and Hyenas you in the right place you just need to be at the right time. Porcupines are often seen on our game drives but after dark usually on the way back to camp.

3 leopards seen in front of the camp between Monday 27.06 and Friday 01.07.2016. Last night we saw 2 leopards on the sunset drive, the first one on the S25 road towards Malenane and the other one on the S119 (gardenia hide road) on Thursday 30.06.2016 a leopard was seen drinking water in front of the camp and set on the rock for at least half an hour, 2 lions at the view point 2.3km from the camp, later on a cheetah also seen at the view point.

Before I make a long speech, I’d say vote for Biyamiti coz we deliver lol. :thumbs_up:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:06 am

bridgeman wrote:I’d say vote for Biyamiti coz we deliver lol. :thumbs_up:
You certainly do Bridgeman, what a fantastic lot of sightings just recently! :dance:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Vols

Unread post by Vols » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Lize

I have to agree with all the posts already mentioned but if I can add my opinion - for what it is worth...

I have been fortunate enough to do these drives at both camps. And like you said - its about being in the right place at the right time. Anything can happen when on a drive and you never know what you are going to get - I guess the purpose of these drives is to experience Kruger in a whole different way as opposed to drives during the day.

Biyamiti always delivers - I have seen all the big five and all sorts of interesting night life on the sunset drive. On my last trip the lions were just outside the gate and we found a leopard walking on the dirt road - it could not have been bothered by us. It truly is a magical part to explore and you will not regret it.

At Sirheni I probably had my best leopard sightings ever. We drove from camp and found a leopard in the tree. After a short while we found a second one in a tree with a kill right next to the road. All the other usual night visitors where seen (bush babies, owls etc).

These two camps are special are so different - if there is any way that you can do both go for it! But if you only can choose one, Biyamiti is probably the clear favourite although I am in love with the northern parts of Kruger.

The guides are always fantastic and very knowledgeable so you cannot go wrong with either camp.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you have great sightings.
Kruger - a piece of heaven that has fallen from above onto God's Eden

July
15 - Tamboti
16&17 - Skukuza

August
6&7: Punda
8-10: Bateleur
11-12: Sirheni

2017 April
5-8: Biyamiti
9-12: Boulders
13&14: Olifants
15&16: Roodewal

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by carolv » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:32 pm

We also have been lucky enough to stay at both camps and participate in all available activities from both but IF i can only manage to do a drive from one camp, it would always be Biyamiti. To be honest, if we could only choose a drive from any park in the whole of Kruger, it would always be Biyamiti. You just never know what you will see in this area. Whatr ever you choose....ENJOY
My Trip Report for Dec 2015 and Jan 2016:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91702

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi,
to someone asking about anything.. (walk/drive at xxx)
surely only those who have actually experienced the ACTUAL (walk/drive at xxx)
rather than those who 'wished' or think that 'it would be good to' ...

so having neither experience of a Sunset Drive or a Night drive at Sirheni
i CANNOT COMMENT.... AND....
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

Other TR's are 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”