Skip to Content

Sightings in the winter near Satara

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
davystam

Sightings in the winter near Satara

Unread post by davystam » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Dear all great adventures!
Last year my girlfriend and i went from Holland to the great Kruger Park in may and i searched on the internet and on this website for tips for spotting animals. When we were there all the tips of good roads could be thrown away because of the drought. Even the guides at Satara told us normally they would suggest riding the s100 or H7 but at that time those guides also didn't know where to find much animals.

This june we will visit Kruger Park again for ten nights and we stay at Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie and Satara. Can you guys give me some tips for looking for wild in the winter? Was it because of the dry summer in 2016 why there were not much animals above Tshokwane? And is this better in 2017? Or do the animals go to specific places where there is water? All the rivers and water places on the east of Satara were completely dry. Thank you in advance for your tips!

Elsa

Re: Sightings in the winter near Satara

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:34 am

Quite a difficult question to answer as we all know game spotting is largely right place at the right time but to find the right place and time is the question! :hmz:
Generally animals will need grazing, ie food and water and last year with the drought so bad and lack of grazing and regular water holes we found unless one kept to areas close to perennial water, the large rivers, sightings were generally poor.
but now the drought is broken and the park is once again green and full of water, vegetation is thick animals can really be found anywhere.
The areas you will be staying in should produce good sightings.
Of course we don't know how long the rains will persist this year but usually the Summer rainfall goes onto March and then starts tailing off in April.
Towards the end of May the vegetation can start dying off which makes it a good time to visit.
Just keep an eye on the sightings boards, chat to fellow visitors, drive slowly and keep the eyes peeled and you should be rewarded.
But just seeing a beautiful and happy park now is reward. 8)
Enjoy!
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”