Skip to Content

Phalaborwa Gate Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Bobong

Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings

Unread post by Bobong » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah Machaka, when all else fails I go up to Shivulani. Nearly always elephants there. And during the day there are very few people there. It is becoming my new favourite spot within reach of the gate - used to be Nandzana but the sightings have declined there - still a pretty spot. Here are the two leopards up at Shivulani taken a couple of months ago. They were actually sitting across the road from one another.

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:59 pm

:popcorn:

Looks like they say to each other, I run faster than you, and then...

Let's race and see...

At Shivhulani Waterhole

On the Mopanie Tar road, where the road goes off and go next to the Ngwenyeni Stream.

Southern Yellow Billed Hornbill bringing food back to his wife.

Painted Reed Frog.

The same Leopard staring at the Impalas.
The only place where SUCCESS stands before WORK is in the Dictionary

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm

A small Flapneck Chameleon I saw.

The Eland Bull around Shikumbu.

Stripes in action.

Impala Rams testing each other's strength.

She was very protective over the young calf.

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Spotted Hyeana suckling her 2 youngsters

The Leopard that played "Zebra and Leopard" game

On the 6 hour game drive,

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 pm

African Fish Eagle at Sable Dam

European Roller

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm

The grumpy Lionness giving us a mock charge.

Sable Dam, early in the morning

hope you enjoyed the pics, will post more as it comes in from tomorrow...

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

Shikumbu from our Sundowner spot.

The road between Olifants Rest Camp and Satara Rest Camp, during the floods it washed the road away.

The Olifants River after the floods washed all the big beautiful Fig Trees etc. away.

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:56 am

:( :(
Yesterday afternoon before I had to leave for the Bush Braai, I sat outside my front door, eating a sandwich and my next door neighbours are the research house, there are some Red Headed Weaver nests hanging down the Telephone cable and heard the Weaver going mad, and suddenly something said to me, just look up and as I did, I saw this big grey "Black Mamba" going from one nest to the next, and the poor Mother Weaver going ballistic, trying to mob this "Black Mamba", so I ran around to get a closer look, and then I saw the small head and big eye, so knew it isn't a Black Mamba but a Female Boomslang. She ate all the chicks and eventually went to the last nest on the right, and when she went into the nest the nest broke and fell down to the ground. It was then when the audience (the cleaning lady of the house and I) jumped to the side, and the Boomslang quickly disappeared around the corner, and I had to rush, to make up for the time that I was late for work, but a sighting, which couldn't have been missed.

The Boomslang Female and the shadow of the mother.

Look how thick her body is of all the little chicks :(

There's some weird stuff coming up on Tinypic, if I try to upload more photo's, will try later again... :popcorn:

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:35 am

Last edited by Lourens on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobong

Unread post by Bobong » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Graham_5000 wrote:Which of the camps near Phalaborwa gate do you do Bush braais from? I want to go on one looking at these amazing pics!

Hi Graham. The bush braais are done straight from Phalaborwa Gate. You either meet at the gate or are picked up from your place of accommodation in town. The bush braai spot lies on the north-western side of Sable Dam and is a beautiful spot set out amongst the mopane trees and with a small stream nearby. It is an awesome place - close to Phalaborwa but a million miles from anywhere if you know what I mean? And the food... :thumbs_up:

Added a photo of the bush braai spot - taken before any guests arrived. At night the lanterns are lit and the atmosphere is stunning. And, if you are lucky you might have a leopard come waltzing by! :big_eyes:

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 pm

:D Hi everyone!!!

Thanks to everyone, replying on all the questions!!! It helps alot, thank you!!!

That Leopard was a young one, looks like maybe around 8-10 months old??

And now the new members to the family:

This Blackbacked Jackal and her husband, we found close to the Hyeana Den on Sunday evening's Night Drive.

And this Garden Orb Web spider was from this morning's walk...

Will give you a sightings report update soon, but this time treating you first with the photo's, hahahaha.

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Some Tawny Eagles that came in for a landing...

Bateleur- Short Tailed Eagle

This Bull is enjoying the Sunset with us...

This morning's Sunrise and Full Day game drive:

Leopard Tortoise- huge one!!!

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 pm

AND LAST BUT THE BEST:

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm

:D Monday the 9th of April I had a Full Day game drive and started off with this beautiful sunrise:

We went up the Marumbeyni gravel road towards the Mingerhout Dam loop close to Letaba and found lots of Elephants, a herd of Buffaloes, and these Saddle Billed Storks catching fish and the Pied Kingfisher and Hamerkop joined them on stages:

We found lots Waterbuck, Giraffes, Hippo's, Buffalo Bulls, and a Leopard 6 km's from Phalaborwa Gate. On our way back we also saw a big rain storm in the distance and while watching it, a herd of Buffaloes came to drink at a waterhole next to the road. It was actually soooo nice, and couldn't unfortunately get a photo, but while they were in the water the lightning was hitting far on the horizon.

Tuesday morning we left very early to go and fetch 2 guests with bad blisters from the Olifants River Backpack trail and when we got back once again passed my Advance Weapon handling.

Wednesday the 11th of April I did the pick up and drop off for the Olifants River Backpack Trail and was very lucky with the cats. Found Lion and Leopard on the way to Olifants and some Buffaloes, Elephants on the way back.

On Friday the 13th we did a Sunset Walk from Ngwenyeni waterhole and found a big herd of Elephants and another herd and a Bull in musth, but had a nice view of them, and a great sighting!!!

Saturday morning we had 3 groups on the Morning walk and between the 6 guides we found Rhino's, a herd of Buffaloes and lots of Elephant Bulls. After the walk I got ready for a Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail and on this trail we were very lucky to find a pride of Lions and lots of Buffaloes, Elephants and stunning nightskies!!

We had a photo shoot drive on Monday the 16th and here's some pics I took, while waiting for the photographer to get her shots and then went on my 4 off days till the 20th of April:

:D

Lourens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lourens » Mon May 14, 2012 9:23 pm

:D On the 21st on the Night Drive we found the general stuff and the Bateleurs and White Backed Vultures that is breeding on the S131 gravel road.

I did the Olifants River Backpack Trail drop off on Sunday morning the 22nd of April and found lots of Elephants, and the next morning had a Interview for Letaba Rest Camp Head Guide position and still waiting for the outcome...

The 25th of April I went through to Shimuwini to assist with a Morning walk, walk in a beautiful area, but couldn't find much on foot except Impalas and Steenbok- Mammal wise but did have a stunning sighting of 2 White Faced Owls!!! On our way back we found a herd of Buffaloes and close to Shimuwini a male Lion.

During the Night Drive we found lots of Elephants, Giraffes, Zebras, Small Spotted Genet, Leopard that came walking up the road, where we found the Elephants and a Pearl Spotted and Spotted Eagle Owl.

Friday morning on my Morning Drive we had a little herd of Elephants crossing the road, but was so nice to see how they kept the very young calves in the middle and also found Giraffes, Zebras, Steenbok and Impalas.

That evening the 27th of April we had a 43 pax Bush Braai and on my game drive found a African Wild Cat, Elephants and Giraffes. The other vehicles didn't see much either.

Sunday morning the 29th we had a close encounter with 3 Buffalo Bulls on the walk and found some Elephants, Giraffes and Zebras too on the walk. That afternoon I went out on another Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail and were very lucky with the sightings. We got to a spot along the trail where we drove for about 3 kilometres with not seeing a Elephant on either side of the road!!! Where we found the Lions on my previous trail, this trail we found a Leopard!!!! Heard Hyeanas and Lions during the night and the next morning on the way back we found 7 Wild Dogs!!!

Tuesday the 1st of May we found 2 Lionesses with 7 Lion Cubs behind Sable Dam, but they quickly disappeared into the thick bush. We went up the Mopanie road where we found Elephants, Giraffes, Zebras and the Hyeanas.

That evening once again found the general game on the Night Drive with Elephants and Buffaloes included.

On the 4th of May I did another Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail and once again had Lions roaring during the night with some Hyeanas and Hippo's calling in between. The 11 Ladies were quite funny and actually they behaved themselves very well. We found Buffaloes, Elephant, Steenbok, Warthogs, Impalas, Waterbuck and Hippo's on the trail.

8th of May on our Afternoon walk we didn't see one mammal, but the nice sighting was a Tawny Eagle circling above us, with a little Small Spotted Genet in his claws.

On the 9th of May we had a Film Crew with 3 vehicles with the famous BZN and Pussy Cat singers. And ai, were they lucky!!!!!!!!!!!

Over all we had stunning sightings of Elephants, we found Leopard, 3 Cheetahs, Giraffes, Zebras, Blue Wildbeests, Waterbuck, Buffaloes, lots of birds and nice scenary spots!!!

The next morning we went out on walk and found 2 Elephant Bulls and as we started approaching them we spotted the back of a Rhino and went to the Rhino instead. When we got closer we saw she had a very very very very small calve with her, definitely less than a week old!!!

We didn't want to watch them for a long time, to hopefully not disturbing them so we approached the Elephants. We found Impalas as well.

That evening before I went on my 4 off days that is finishing tonight we had with the film crew a Bush Braai and found a herd of Buffaloes, Elephants, Serval, Elephants bathing in Sable Dam, a Leopard, Giraffes, Zebras and the Hyeanas, so once again they were very very very lucky!!!!

And my off days at Shingwedzi:

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”