Skip to Content

Wilderness Trails - FAQ

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
KristinH

Re: Wilderness Trails - FAQ

Unread post by KristinH » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks! That's very helpful!

margherita

Wilderness Trail - Gratuities

Unread post by margherita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:07 am

Good day to all,
I am going on a Wilderness Trail in Kruger next week and were wondering about the gratuities for guides/cook.
I come from a place (Italy) where tipping is not common so I wouldn't be sure on how much to tip them.
Can someone share their experience/thoughts?

Thank you for you time (:

Elsa

Re: Wilderness Trail - Gratuities

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm

margherita, the only post I can find specifically for tipping on the wilderness trail is Here
but This post pretty much sums it up and I think basically its up to the individual as to how much and whether to tip or not based on the experience received.

margherita

Unread post by margherita » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Thank you Elsa, I'll have a look at those. (:

RiG

Unread post by RiG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Dear Margherita

We did a walking trail at the end of March and thought it appropriate to tip the two rangers and cook. Certainly the amount of the tip is discretionary but bear in mind that the rangers and cook are very experienced and they take of you for two days.

We had a fantastic time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of seeing the Park on foot. Hope you have a fabulous time.

Kind regards
RiG

Carla + Tony

Unread post by Carla + Tony » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi all,

We've read all the posts on this subject but haven't really found what we want to know.
We'll be doing the Sweni trail from 26-29 July. Very excited about that :lol: :dance:
We are wondering how much luggage we can take with us on the trail. Is there only room for the bare necessities an do we have to leave the rest of our luggage left in the car at Satara?
If so, is there a separate secure parking area for people who are away on a trail?

Love to hear your experiences on this.
Back to Kruger at last!!

20 - 22 July Punda Maria
22 -24 July Shimuwini
24 - 26 July Tamboti
26 - 29 July Sweni trail
29 - 31 July Skukuza

Goronta
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year- Bird - Fish Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Goronta » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Carla+ Tony
I don't know for Sweni Trail but we did Napi trail 4 years ago in july and we took with us luggage for the 3 nights trail(including drinks for sundowners) and left most of our luggage in our rented car.There was a different designated parking in front of the office to leave the car (Pretoriuskop),seemed more secure.
I suppose it must be the same for each trail.
As usual when leaving our car somewhere, we tried to hide everything in the trunk to "avoid any temptation and did not leave any valuable :whistle:
Everything went well and we really enjoyed Napi trail. :D
I'm sure you will experience a great moment on Sweni trail :thumbs_up:

We shared our trail in this TR

On my way to Pafuri - KNP July '13
Carpe diem

KTP JULY-AUGUST 2017
jul 27th/ 28th : K.K
29th : Nossob
30th to aug 1st : Gharagab
aug 2nd to 5th : Grootkolk
aug 6th to 7th : KTC then Namibia and Namaqua : 16th

KRUGER OCT 22th- NOV 1st :D

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:03 pm

When we did the Sweni trail we just packed up one suitcase for the two of us and another small bag with drinks and snacks , We then locked the car in the parking under the trees and it was fine We did not hide anything because our Toyota Venture had the back seats out and a mattress where we slept with all and sundry at the back for all to see. Nothing was taken They might have changed things now and there might be a dedicated parking for the trailists
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:13 am

Carla and Tony, you have received good advice. I have never heard of folk doing a trail having things stolen. Usually the most valuable items travel with to the huts, so the temptation is not there.

You will be taken to your camp in one of the game viewing vehicles. There is usually ample space for everything. Unless you really have special needs, stay away from food items. Monkeys are very clever and do try to steal what they can. Sundowners are another matter. Don't be shy, take as much as you need. You will be encouraged to lock any edible, or drinkable items in a store room. I have experienced toothpaste and sugar coated medication being stolen by monkeys. :roll:

Make sure that you are well dressed for the early morning and sundowner drives. It can be extremely cold (think open boat at sea), particularly when going through a dip, or close to a river. I take a balaclava, gloves, warm beanie and thermal socks. On top of that I wear a pair of track suit pants over my walking jeans. I have a decent jacket that protects me from the wind. You might not need it, but rather be safe.

A couple of years ago, I was teased about my attire, until the first sunset drive. :wink:

Above all, enjoy. :D
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Juan

Unread post by Juan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello

This is my first post in the forum :o

I am from Spain and I will travel to Kruger at the end of September. My plan is to be "solo" around 3 weeks, everyone around me is telling me that I am crazy to go so many days to a national park, but I am sure I am going to enjoy it a lot! :whistle:

I have a question, I already booked Mathikithi Wilderness trail (Satara) and I have seen that I could book Sweni Wilderness trail just after that. I think those 2 trails are in similar area (around Satara). Would it be worth it to make them consecutively or it will be too repetitive?. The other option that I have now is to be around Satara for 3 days in self drive, but probably I can enjoy more the experience of a trail with more people involved and information from a guide. It is subjective but I hope someone can give me some insights.

As well, I would love to do Punda María trail but it is booked (i will be checking the web to see if it is available).

Thanks in advance !

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi Juan

Although both trails are in the Satara area, they are based quite far apart. Sweni is towards the Lebombo Mountains, and Mathikithi is in the area between the H7 and S126.

Three weeks is a nice time, and not too long imo - but I do think two trails will be nice to do in that time.
- Dalene

Juan

Unread post by Juan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Great, thanks a lot Dinkybird.

Apart from Mathikithi, I already booked Wolfhuter as well, so with Sweni, it would be 3 trails.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:23 pm

I am sure you will not be sorry. Is this your first time to Kruger? Have you booked the rest of your accommodation?
- Dalene

Juan

Unread post by Juan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Yes, This will be my first time in Kruger and in a safari in a general terms.

I have booked all the nights and Wolfhutter and Sweny trails already but I am open to make changes as I am reading very interesting things about different camps or trails.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:35 pm

Enjoy the planning! Always a good idea to have bookings secured, then you can change closer to the time. The park is very popular and one cannot always get a reservation.

Please do ask if you have any other queries - between the forum members I am sure you will get good advice.
- Dalene

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”