Skip to Content

Nonokani Adventure Trail

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
DinkyBird

Nonokani Adventure Trail

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:22 pm

Nonokani - Translates to 'Drive Slowly. From a little east of close to Masorini picnic site, 14 km from Phalaborwa Gate, this route meanders southward through mopane / bushwillow woodlands to Reënvoël Dam, an ideal spot for breakfast if you make an early start. The route then continues towards and along the Olifants River where lunch can be eaten at any of the two viewpoints of the river itself. White rhino middens indicate the presence of these enormous animals in the area. Look out for the many pure-white rock outcrops in the rugged Olifants River Bushveld. The trail eventually ends once past Sable Dam.

Taken from KNP 4x4 adventure trails

August 2008

The day dawned without a cloud in the sky – perfect to tackle the adventure trail. We ensured we left Letaba as the gates opened with extra water, emergency kit and picnics packed. By the time we had gotten to Phalaborwa Gate, booked in for the trail and turned off the tar road, it was just after 8am.

Once a few kilos into the veld away from the rest of the world, we stopped to enjoy coffee and rusks – adhering to the rules on the pamphlet supplied to us. A few meters off impala enjoyed their brekkie too!

Image larger view

For us, the excitement of going deep into the veld ‘away from it all’ was all that mattered – if we saw animals, that would be a bonus.

So after a few kilos on the trail we were thrilled to come across a fresh kudu carcass. An eagle was feeding on it and a single vulture. As they heard the vehicle they flew up and perched in a nearby tree. I scanned the area carefully for the predator. We spent some time there, just watching as more vultures arrived and as a cheeky raven acted like he owned the whole kill, showing off with the vultures every now and again. After we realised the vultures were not going to come down while we were there, we moved on.

Soon after, to our right another carcass - this time an older one of a buffalo.

Reenvoel Dam was lovely – and no other humans around!!! Again a reason for more coffee and muffins this time. While standing, just enveloped by the silence, we suddenly heard a loud splashing ... ellies! To the left, a breeding herd had come to the stream to drink. How wonderful to watch this from the safe vantage point of the dam wall.

Image larger view

Image larger view

I did the driving – my navigator ... well he decided he was rather a camera man that day ... so along we drove, happily enjoying our time in the bush until I noticed looking ahead that the road went on east for a heck of a long way along the powerlines :? Time to consult the map – oops ... we were not suppose to be there. Checked gps and way points, turned around and back tracked to the correct turnoff. (Hint keep a close eye on the printed instructions of the route – there are only two markers along the route)

Image larger view of the wrong way!

Image one of two signs

The trail dips through a very scenic watercourse – where we found a herd of buffalo.

Image larger view

Lunch was had at the view point over the Olifants River. Four kudu males welcomed us to the area ... and in the riverbed below was a pod of hippo.

Trying to write here of the experience of being the only two people on the banks of the Olifants for many kms around can do it no justice.

Image larger view

Image larger view

The trail then hugs the Olifants River for a couple of kms before turning north again.

Image larger view

We stopped to watch a Double banded sandgrouse pair with their chicks – what a special sighting that was!

The trail was about 5km from the end – both SO and I were very relaxed. Just enjoying the scenery, when suddenly, there in front of us, right next to the track was a lion pair. We stopped and spent the next hour and a half with this mating pair.

Image larger view

Image larger view

Image larger view

Image larger view

Image larger view

We had to leave if we were going to make camp before gates closed....

After passing opposite Sable bird hide, the trail ends.

Image larger view

By all accounts, we were the only folk on the trail that day. What a blessing to have been able to spend 8 hours in Kruger, just Hawk and me, on the Nonokani Trail.
Sawubona
Dalene

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Nonokani Adventure Trail

Unread post by anne-marie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Nice, super nice :D
is special to see Sable dam hide on an other side :wink: the day I was over there, they are several hundred of elephants, right where you are :whistle:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Freda » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:12 am

Great report, DB :clap:
We love this trail but have to admit we also did the 'wrong way' thing :redface:
Love the lion pics :D

alf

Unread post by alf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:57 am

Hi DB,

Can you tell me more about the trail please? How much does it cost and do you sleep over on the trail? Do you need a 4x4 vehicle or can you do it with a normal vehicle?
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 am

Have a look Here Alf, for some good info on all the trails. :D
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:58 am

Hi Alf,

We paid R490 for the trail and R100 deposit we had to go back to collect once we had done the trail. And imo - worth every cent.

These are day trails. One can only book them from specific offices on the day you wish to do the trail. And you may only do them with a 4x4. Not because they are particularly difficult, but to preserve the ecology.
Sawubona
Dalene

mariusc

Nonokani 4x4 trail

Unread post by mariusc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm

has anyone done this route. is it worthwile to do it.
i have always wondered about reenvoel dam and would like to see it.
then again, i don't want to do the trip and then find the dam dry.
any info would be appreciated.

Scipio

Re: nonokani 4x4 trail

Unread post by Scipio » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 am

Marius, having done the trail more than a few times I can assure you it is worth every Minute & every cent. 8)

DinkyBird

Re: Nonokani 4x4 trail

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:20 pm

Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Sawubona
Dalene

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Wow, easy to miss signposts. :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes, very easy to miss. And we did. The track along the tele lines is NOT the route to go.... as we discovered after a good while when according to the gps were traveling away from the Olifants River, instead of towards it :roll:
Sawubona
Dalene

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Wow! Great pics -thanks for posting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

What time of the year was this?

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:18 am

Nice pictures 8)

On a negative note, I have heared SANParks was considering on closing the trail due to general disbehaviour of visitirs, eg. straying from the paths, littering etc.

Not sure if it still will be closed in future.
Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

geraas
Location: My hart le in die rooi duine van die Kalahari. Jozi...Ex.Nelspruit

Unread post by geraas » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 am

IMHO these trails are overpriced and should not be marketed as 4x4 trails as you hardly require the use of 4x4....if a toyota tazz can do it (not the nonokani trail though, the trail near pretoriuskop) then its more of a money making scheme to drive a private road.
Bear in mind this is my opinion :twisted:
Khutse / CKGR - Mar / April 2013
Mokala 21/03 - 24/03 '13
KTP (Rooiputs 27/09 - 30/09, Grootkolk 30/09 - 03/10, KTC 03/10 - 04/10, Urikaruus 04/10 - 07/10) '12
Punda Maria 27/04 - 01/05 '12
Balule 21/03 - 25/03 '12

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”