Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
MJ
Guru
Guru

Re: Lower Sabie Sightings

Unread post by MJ » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am

Good day all,

Quite a strange week we had recently around Lower Sabie. Since my resignation about a week ago all the strange things popped out. Firstly on our way to a bush braai we encountered a pangolin right next to the road. Then two nights later the lubye lubye pride (all thirteen of them) made a kill using the truck as a hide out. Yesterday morning we had the Gomondwane pride on the walk. Dingaan and I stopped counting at 20 when one female’s cub lagged behind and she came back with this growling attitude. This morning a first very early rise for the summer and half of the animals only woke up on our way back from the morning drive with a grand finale of a leopard opposite the river, watching his breakfast grazing the last time.

Most of the migrating birds are back and around Lower Sabie looks like one big golf course you have to try out. The giant land snails make you drive as if you are a crazy person and not even to talk about the millipedes. Yesterday we had hail, a first and probably a last for me. The Diederick’s cuckoos are harassing the poor weaver nests and cannot stop calling Christmas.

Well let’s see what other weirdoes come out the last 3 weeks.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:38 am

Good day guys,

If you guys would like to stay in contact with me my email is martiepelser@gmail.com or invite me on facebook Martie Mc Taggart!

Hope you all well!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 pm

oldguy wrote:As a postscript to my Lower Sabie sightings report from 2 days ago, something very interesting just turned-up.

On s-29 early one morning we saw a lioness walking along the road and she was absolutely emaciated. Very skinny, with ribs & backbones showing very prominently.
We commented that she must be sick. Naturally, we took photos.

Well, close examination (today) of photos taken on s-122 just 24 hours later and about 5km away shows two lionesses walking together and one of them was the skinny (sick?) lady of the morning before, identified by distinctive spots on her flank. However, she now had a very fat, full, belly and seemed to have a satisfied look on her face. An overnight kill and feast no doubt.
It was an amazing transformation in just 24 hours. We certainly didn't recognize her at the time.

oldguy has asked me to post some of the pics for him. :thumbs_up:

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Buffalo kill nearby

ImageLarge

And a Hippo confrontation at Ntandanyathi Hide.

ImageLarge
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”