Skip to Content

Lower Sabie Sightings

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
Great Dane

Re: Lower Sabie Sightings

Unread post by Great Dane » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Back from a quick one night visit to LS. Great as always :thumbs_up:

Went for the night-drive on Wednesday night. Headed up the H10 and quickly found a Porcupine. Shortly after we got the first great sighting of the night in shape of a Side-striped Jackal follow by Spotted-Hyena. We then turned right onto a dirt-road (S122 I think) were we had a great encounter with an African Wildcat. While enjoying the AWC lions were heard in the distance and after another couple kms we came across at least four Lions in the grass off the road. In that area we also saw an antelope that didn't fit the usual suspects on no less than four occasions. According our guide it was Reedbuck. On the way back to Camp another pride of Lions, this time 7+ on the move but kept distance to the road. That was it for another great LS nightdrive.

After some sleep I went back to the same area to try and find the Lion and Reedbuck again for some photos wihout luck but Ground Hornbill was found. Heading back for breakfast I came across a traffic yam just off the H10 on the S128. It was the below Cheetahs that coursed the chaos. Got a quick snap and headed off.

Just out of camp on the way home a Bateleur was enjoying a Guineafowl breakfast in a bush next to the road.

All the best, Michael

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Good day everyone,

Sunrise every morning a little earlier and this morning at 5:40! The colours over the Sabie River were different shades from orange, yellow and a bright pinkish red on some sides. At the walking area just another pretty morning with the different shades of green as if it was a painting painted last night and with the wake-up of the sun the colours appeared fresh and smelled fresh. As every morning the precautions are taken before the walk in the case of that once in a lifetime encounter that might happen.
Our first sighting was three rhinos a cow, a bull and a three year old calf. The bull was flirting with his lady and she gave no attention whatsoever and just enjoyed a muddy Jacuzzi in the warm sun. The calf around the mommy made funny squeaking sounds telling mommy to look out for this big fat bully trying to make a move.

In the distance an elephant bull grazed along and then to go see him…

On our way there a dry stream to cross and then time for action. By the time I got to the stream the elephant vanished. I crossed the stream where I always do and so came the people a few meters behind me. As I reached the top of the embankment a nice palm bush in front of me a slope behind me and old lion trucks below me. I warned the guest to take it slow up the embankment and as I said look at the old lion tracks I looked back again and faced a lion that I sort of was standing on her tail. I stepped back to get my feet in order and ready for shooting when I slid down the embankment then I got everyone’s attention and she (the lioness) also wanted a little attention herself with a roar and growl. By that time everyone was well aware of what just happened. Luckily the sleepy lady that did not smell, hear or see us left calmly into the bushes and we left in the opposite direction. About an hour afterwards and three hours back at camp I could still hear my heart drumming in my chest like only an African drum can do.

The rest of the walk’s elephant was not even half as excited as that moment with my lady friend. About 50 meters from that spot Irving had the same encounter years ago and I was thinking about it moment earlier from this incident. The last thing I must add to this encounter is that a lioness is much bigger when there is nothing between you and her and she is about 50 cm away from you.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:08 am

Good day everyone,

After a very busy 2 months I’m back in the office because of a cool rainy morning. For the last few weeks the lions were a hit everywhere you went. Even on the walks we had some fascinating events where a young male lion was looking for the rest of his family and ended up walking into us sitting on our bottoms in the long grass waiting for him. Shocked and amazed by our appearance he ran off and will be looking over his shoulder for a while. About two weeks back on the H4-2 was the lane of love. The same male lion was lucky enough to have a new girlfriend every 6 days. The first lady was rather shy and we didn’t see much of her. The second lady was rather young and he was in control on one stage even took his paw just to make her sit down so that he can do his thing. The last lady was the attitude one, gave him such a nice smack the first day that he just fall flat next to her and you could clearly see the white in his eyes.

The leopards around camp have found a new favourite and that is porcupines. Firstly on a rainy morning a young male close to the weir had a good spiky breakfast, caught it on the road and had about the whole morning’s fun to remove the quills. One sunset drive right in front of camp a leopard caught a baby porcupine in the water-pipe, what a sad sighting especially when you saw the porcupine mother two nights earlier with her new born babies. Yesterday alone six sightings of leopard around the camp, two of which was on the sunset drive a kilometre apart.

Also had a surprise yesterday morning! The second time in my life I had the ability to stalk a black rhino and not the other way around. They say let sleeping dogs lie…same thing counts for those ones. After five months I’ve found my lady again, this time fast asleep and still don’t have an idea that we were even there.

The last but most spectacular sighting of the month was two lionesses sleeping in the road, two wild dogs came running up the road, if you know wild dogs, you will know they like to have the whole road for themselves and around the corner they come and here are these big kitties in the road. They so desperately wanted to cross but how? Eventually the male wild dog started barking like crazy to move these fat lions. The only thing that did happen was one female opened one eye and continued sleeping. This lasted for 10 minutes when the female wild dog made a U-turn and they went back all the way where they came from.

The cheetah female that has never been seen on public roads since she had her 5 cubs is still around and the youngsters are getting bigger stronger, total count of 3 males and 2 females. Beautiful looked after, strong and good if it comes to hiding from hyena.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Lower Sabie sightings are fairly quiet after the good rains we had this year. The walks are dangerous and there is not one place around Lower Sabie I will say that the grass is short. It is very difficult to walk if the grass is longer than you and your concentration has to be on that one maybe that something might jump up right in front of you in the grass, that not only being lions and leopards but also something bigger like rhino, buffalo or even a now and then hippo.

The north has been much better with the long grass because, there is one thing about a cat, they hate wet grass. The leopards that I never knew lived at Mlondozi, are now all of the sudden walking on the roads early mornings.

Talking of kitty cats, cheetahs vanished and almost forgotten how they look like.

There was a question about bad luck; it is a personal thing, but the good luck I did see last night…a running black rhino. So fast that out of 12 people only 4 saw it.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Good day all,

This last week was sort off great, besides the huge thunderstorm we found ourselves in on Thursday and with the background I have of never giving up, I drove until the last second of the drive. Seeing swimming pythons on wet roads, owls that looked like a soaked chicken and lightning no better than a disco itself.

There is something wrong with my truck. It has an anti-leopard function in it. I really can’t remember when last did I actually see a spotty. The leopard device has a brilliant lion function though, and if it is not charging male lions on a carcass at Mlondozi dam, it is lion cubs at Ntandanyati climbing up my tyres and onto signs. The Lions running in front of camp in the rain and just everywhere my truck turns.

On the H10 is a hyena theatre every morning at 5, you can’t miss it. The youngsters are rolling, biting and kicking each other’s bottoms. The rest is fairly quiet and cold.
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Good day everyone,

Dodie Smith once asked: “Why is summer mist romantic and autumn mist just sad?”, but with the earth cooling down every day the misty mornings just get more spectacular. Munshe Mountain and the Lebombo’s surprise you only at 8 when the peaks appear through the mist. The sun is like a ball of fire, trying so hard, to make its appearance through the thick fog layer. Down the path come six sets of eyes. Four of which are much smaller and then the surprise when the long tail flipped through the mist, these two leopard cubs had their first outing to the world and that on such a cold but beautiful morning. A mother so proud, not only to show the world what she got but also what the world got.

The lions around Lower Sabie each have their own agenda. Mash on the Skukuza road has at last found him a wife and is currently on Honeymoon. I can’t believe that it was him as a cub a few years ago that had to look after his young sisters when his mom was out hunting. Then one of the big male lions around camp looks rather fearsome, like a Trojan warrior with a spear through his heart. The spears are unfortunately not through his heart but a few porcupine quills in his gut. He will definitely make it. The quills are not deep at all and looks like it will fall out any moment.

Sunset dam is getting empty, the grass is thinning out and the smoke more frequent. They didn’t call Africa the continent of smoke for nothing, but the dusky smoke, brown dust and bright sun make such beautiful warm sunsets and where else in the world would you rather be…
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

oldguy

Unread post by oldguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Here's a post that should be of interest to everyone, not just personal chit-chat.
On a morning walk NorthEast of camp while crossing a flat savannah covered with thigh high grass and a few thorny acacia trees we woke-up a group of four old male Buffalo's (Dugga-Boys) sleeping unseen in the tall grass. Distance was about 80 yards.
They formed-up four abreast and started toward us at a quick walk.. Mark immediately shouted "Get behind that tree", and we immediately complied... Picture now, five adults trying to hide behind one skinny Acacia tree no more than 18 inches in diameter.
Mark and Chester were now shouting, slapping their thighs and locking and un-locking the bolts on their rifles which makes a loud metallic klacking sound.
The Buffs broke into a trot and Mark shouted "Get up the tree", while he and Chester spread out and took up fireing positions. Needless to say, we all quickly went up the tree.. Way up the tree. And watched...
About 20 yards short of the guides and 30 short of our tree the Buffs stopped, snorted, turned and casually ambled away. The whole "adventure" took less than a minute.
Now, some think the shouting and klacking scared off the Buffs, but I don't..... I think the sight of that skinny old Thorny Acacia suddenly sprouting five multi-colored Christmas ornaments both puzzled and frightened the poor beasts.
MORAL: Listen to your guides and obey their orders quickly!!
OldGuy

Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Stephens.L » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 pm

The Head Guide at Lower Sabie has recently spotted a rare sighting Pangolin during a morning walk along the S28 road.

Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us and what an amazing sighting! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: This really reminds me of my first morning walk in July 2000 from Pretoriuskop when we also encountered a Pangolin on our morning walk... :dance: :dance: Good old memories...

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 am

Good day everyone,

Had a very sad morning in Lower Sabie! An old legend died! When I started at Lower Sabie there were three cheetah on the Mlondozi loop, few months later they were two, well known as Will + Harry! About 8 months ago, Will died being brave amongst a pride of lions! The whole week we received reports from another 2 cheetahs in the area!! This morning on the Mlondozi loop at the Muntshe turn-off was something strange in the road! My prince got killed by Chucky and Norris, the new 2 vicious cheetah intruders of the flats!! I had to pull Harry out of the road so that the cars could pass! He had a big hole in his bud and a few marks on his neck with only Chucky and Norris' tracks surrounding it! About 15m away were the two monsters watching me moving their enemy with no respect in their eyes!!

Sad it was!!

Please take note that I only report my best sightings at Lower Sabie not every activity is 5/5! I've had some encounters that people want the drives exactly as the way I reported it and then get grumpy if they don't see it the way I reported it!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

hoyle

Unread post by hoyle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Martie - So nice to hear from you again..
So sorry to hear about Harry, must have been awful to find him like that.
Nature sure is cruel at times. Hope you are well.
MAY - JUNE - 7 WEEKS
PLEASE SAVE THE RHINO

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 pm

The weather might have been bad and windy the last few days but it sure brought out all Lower Sabie's kitty cats!!

Tonight we had leopards to choose from and not even to talk about the lions! If guest say they've seen 7 leopards only today, its a miracle!! The young male about 7km from camp was the high light of the night with him rolling in some wee-wee of sorts in the middle of the road!!

Will see what tomorrow's drives got for us!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi all,

Just to answer your question Mads, the Lower Sabie gentlemen has not been around for 2 years now, they live close to the Mlondozi stream with the Sambogha pride!!

The last week's drives have been fantastic!! Leopards, Leopards and even a good lion sighting or two! A few afternoons back on the sunset drive even me was amazed! About 2km from camp towards Skukuza, I yet again stopped for some sightings on the otherside of the Sabie river when my eye caught something in the tree in front of us! It was one of those sightings that you really enjoyed because half of Lower Sabie's guest drove past a leopard in a tree! This leopard about 20m of the road staring us right in the eye on the truck was one of my best sightings in a very very long time!!

Our Lubye Lubye lion pride have babies and on Friday morning they had some breakfast plans, but after the third run up and down their hunting ground changed into a bedroom!!

The highlight of the week was the stinky buffalo in front of the restaurant!! The buffalo died of old age a week ago! On wednesday evening a leopard was the first to come in for supper at the restaurant! A few minutes later there was a growl and a spit and off went leopard and here came the clang of hyenas! Two hours later another growl or maybe two or three, off went the hyenas and 2 lions, the boss again!! Thursday night the lions came back and so did the hyena and so did the whole old age home of buffalo and the lions eventually had enough of biltong and 5 buffalos against 2 lions were just not worth the supper for the lions!!

At least cooling down again today!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 am

Good day,

4 nights back I went on the sunset drive, due to our camp's changes of the late night drive leaving at 20:00 we had our old sunset drive time of 16:30! When we left the camp it was still hot as only a hot summer day in Kruger can be and me worried because the heat does play a huge role in sightings! A kilometre out of camp and a big male lion peaked out of the reeds, saw his head and tale and sleeping was just the better option. In this dry hot spring afternoon!! On the Nwathimhiri causeway a female leopard walked over the road and back over again, not slightly bothered by our presence! She even stopped looked at me and just smiled and if she could waved, she would have! At Lubye Lubye bridge a big surprise of 15 minutes with a leopard! A beautiful sighting smelling, sniffing and wondering up and down with no scheduled plan! Reason why I would love to be an animal, time and plans are just not there!!

Then the night after a terrible quiet Night drive, it was one of those nights where you drive and drive and eventually end up on Salitjie because even all the good roads are as bad as Salitjie!

But even the bad roads become the good roads the next morning and on our way to the walking area, a fresh new day, honey badger X2, leopard stalking impala, elephants and rhino on that same road I took the night before! It is a feeling of overwhelming anger but also relieve that these animals do have a sence of humour and probably had a good laugh the quiet night before!!

The hit of the week was this morning's walk!!!! A walk to me is this great challenge because you can sometimes walk right pass these hairy creatures and won't even know! Citty and I both fluish this morning left the camp not knowing what is waiting somewhere out there!! Started of with 5 buffalos about 10m away! Later on the oxpeckers did a great job as usual and found us another group of buffalo and a nice surprise! I just saw Citty's excitement on his face when a honey badger popped up 8m from him in the animal path!! We stopped at the buffalo and yet we get this surprise!!

On our way to the river still on the walk we encountered an elephant herd and even a youngster challenging an old guy! Don't know what this 2 year old elephant was thinking, but luckily he had his mother to hide behind!!

Close to the Sabie river were a big group of vultures in a tree, not knowing we went closer! I had a glimpse of a lion track and could see that Citty behind me stopped for it too! As I looked up I could see in front of me this red faced lion looking up! Two minutes later a lioness got up and then the rest of the pride got a fright and dissapeared! On our arrival at their breakfast spot, a big buffalo bull had his last supper last night and still fresh only the neck and rump that were eaten! We didn't stay long, so that we can find a breakfast spot ourselves and the lions could enjoy the rest of their breakfast!!

Normally the sightings that you find yourself are the sightings you wish to remember a lifetime!! It was the guests first walk ever all the way from Finland, how lucky can you be!!

If you around Lower Sabie, my advise to you is try the sunset drives! They are great for leopard if you haven't seen them just yet!!
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Mauxie

Unread post by Mauxie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Martie,

I am really sad to hear about Will and Harry. :cry: I was so fortunate to see both of them, on one of my last trips to Kruger, in October 2010.

They were lying together on the S29, about a kilometre from the S122 turn off.

I miss Kruger soooo much. Thanks for keeping us up to date with life around Lower Sabie.

I have booked the first three nights of my next trip for next September and will complete the booking on the 1st of November. I can't wait!

Please keep posting!
KRUGER, my happy place!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BIYAMITI 1st & 2nd OCTOBER
SKUKUZA 3rd & 4th
OLIFANTS 5th
SATARA 6th , 7th & 8th
LOWER SABIE 9th , 10th & 11th
BERG EN DAL 12th

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”