Skip to Content

Napi Trail Question

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
alanbudney

Napi Trail Question

Unread post by alanbudney » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Planning to do Napi 3-night Wilderness Trail in October. Does it make sense to go do the Rhino Walking Safari right after that? Other suggestions -- married couple in our 50's in good shape and like to stay away from crowds.
Thanks! Alan :hmz:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Napi Trail Question: If you do the Napi Trail does it make sense to go do the Rhino Walking Safari

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 am

A very warm welcome Alan. :D

The wilderness trails really are something special. I have not done the Napi trail, but I have done trails in October and they are very, very hot. You will probably be more tired by the heat than the walking. It can easily reach over forty by 10 am. (I have often done the Sandriver trail that is very close to the Rhino Safari walks.)

The Rhino walking safari covers a very similar eco zone, so I would be tempted to recommend something a bit different.

There are a number of bush camps covering different eco zones where you could walks and drives. If you really want to do another trail, what about the Olifants trail which covers a completely different area?

In terms of bush camps, I would recommend Talamati, or Tambotie. This takes in more of the central area, which is rich in predators. Talamati also has Sable in the vicinity, a top class sighting.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

alanbudney

Re: Napi Trail Question: If you do the Napi Trail does it make sense to go do the Rhino Walking Safari

Unread post by alanbudney » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:47 am

Thank you for your detailed response about the Napi. We are "locked" into the Napi, so we may look for an alternative to the Rhino as you suggested. Are the Talamati or Tambotie camps in different eco-systems than the Napi? Again, many thanks!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 am

alanbudney wrote:Are the Talamati or Tambotie camps in different eco-systems than the Napi? Again, many thanks!
Yes they are Alan, the Napi is in the south of the park whereas the Talamati and Tamboti camps more north towards the central areas.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Napi Trail Question

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:36 am

Here are pictures of Tambotie, possibly one of the more rustic camps.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=86363

You can book walks and drives from the camp.

Here is a thread on Talamati.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2980

I enjoy Tambotie because of it's rustic feel. I love tented accommodation, as the night sounds are so much clearer.

Talamati is a favorite for many. It is a small camp with a really well used waterhole. The animals give quite a display. It is a good are to see Sable.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”