Skip to Content

Under the Ubuntu Tree 2011 -2014

A place to share our common humanity, a place where you know you're not alone, a place to recognize and congratulate one another.
Nemophilist

Re: Hello and Thank You for These Forums!

Unread post by Nemophilist » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:12 am

Wow! Thank you everyone—I feel the love! I feel the love! :dance: :D

Lesley, that is an amazingly generous offer. I am actually planning to bring my tent and hopefully sleep pad and also stay in bungalows and huts as necessary, but I might consider taking you up on your offer on a few things. I am finalizing my plans and bookings this week based on availability and while it looks like I'll be renting an SUV out of JNB and returning there, there's a chance I may return it down in Richard's Bay.

Thanks again everyone. I'm really excited.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 am

Nemophilist wishing you a good Kruger trip :thumbs_up: :cam:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:39 am

Welcome to the Forums Nemophilist! Wishing you a most wonderful trip with fabulous sightings in Kruger! :dance: :dance:

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THANK YOU MR BUFFETT

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi everyone.

If I am correct in understanding, MR BUFFETT have Donated Two Hundred and fifty five million rand to help fight against Rhino Poaching.

I would just like to THANK THEM from the bottom of my heart, as I see that hopefully such a huge amount of money can if not stop it completely, slow it down :pray:

once again THANK YOU :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thanx: :thanx: :thanx: :thanx:
Last edited by kallis1786 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: THANK YOU STANDARD BANK

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:54 pm

R255,000,000?

Well done Howard Buffett.

Those who still misquote "(The love of) Money is the root of all evil", here is your answer!
Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Buffett makes rhino history
Submitted by Standard Bank Team on Fri, 2014/03/14 - 15:36

Today we were witness to the single biggest donation to rhino conservation in SANParks’ history. The generous donator has finally been revealed at a media function at our 30 Baker Street offices in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Mr Howard Buffett, the international philanthropist and son of world renowned investment guru, Warren Buffett today donated R255-million to SANParks, to combat rhino poaching.

The funding will assist SANParks in combating rhino poaching as they are the custodians of most of South Africa’s rhino, facing daily life and death struggles as a result of the increasing poaching activity in the Park. Mr Buffett’s intention is not only to assist in stopping rhino poaching, he knows that wildlife crime is a source of funds for warlords and terrorist activity on the continent. Stopping wildlife crime therefore means a more secure life and economy for local people.
We are supporting this initiative by facilitating the account for SANParks and launched a social media initiative #Aid4Rhino. With every post retweeted or shared, we donated R10 to the SANParks rhino fund.

We are standing for conservation by our active participation in LCA and other similar initiatives. We are honored to be hosting the banking facilities for this important project.

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Awesome news but I think the donation was from the Howard Buffett Foundation (son of Warren Buffett) not Standard Bank.

Lets hope it will be wisely used to make a huge difference in keeping our rhino safe.

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Ja BB, I saw Lesego posting it on Facebook.

I am Sorry for my blunder :redface:

A huge THANK YOU TO MR BUFFETT for such a huge contribution. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Stampajane wrote:Awesome news but I think the donation was from the Howard Buffett Foundation (son of Warren Buffett) not Standard Bank.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

http://www.blog.standardbank.com/node/53592
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Please correct your heading kallis1786
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

THANK YOU MR BUFFETT

Unread post by kallis1786 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Hopefully it is changed now

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:02 pm

I thought that Heading quite strange , every time I put my card into the Standard Bank ATM, I always get the same reply "insufficient funds- please put some money in" So I am convinced they do not have any money :big_eyes: Image but maybe because they have not yet realised that they bank with me, Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

DinkyBird

Re: THANK YOU MR BUFFETT

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Photo off SANParks facebook group:

Media Release off SANParks HR facebook page:

Howard Buffett Foundation R255 million donation to rhino conservation

The Howard G. Buffett Foundation (HGBF), a private foundation in the United States; the Nature Conservation Trust (NCT), a South African public benefit organization (PBO); and South African National Parks (SANParks) today announced an historic RAND 255 million (USD $23.7 million), three-year initiative to combat rhino poaching in Kruger National Park and test anti-poaching tactics that can be applied in other regions of Africa, where poaching can be a source of funding for armed groups. The announcement was made at the Rosebank office of Standard Bank, which also announced its own support for the initiative by providing favorable banking fees and interest on the funds which they will hold.

The effort in Kruger will create an Intensive Protection Zone (IPZ) using sophisticated detection and tracking equipment and infrastructure on the ground and in the air; elite canine units and highly-trained ranger teams; and improved intelligence gathering and observation and surveillance systems. Kruger is currently home to over 40% of the world's remaining 22,000 rhinos, the largest single population of rhinos in the world. Since January 2010, 1,383 rhinos have been poached from Kruger National Park, part of a larger assault that resulted in 2,368 rhinos poached in South Africa over the past few years. In some areas of Africa, entire populations of rhino have been eliminated.

Kruger's poaching problem is fueled mainly by illicit criminal networks in Mozambique, South Africa, and East Asia, but evidence suggests that armed groups elsewhere in Africa derive significant funding from poaching activities. Kruger's IPZ will also serve as a testing ground to inform targeted efforts to combat poaching in these other African regions.

SANParks, thanks to the leadership of David Mabunda, and Kruger National Park, under the direction of General Johan Jooste, provide a unique opportunity to test new technology and new ideas within the best operating national parks system on the continent, said NCT Chairman and HGBF CEO Howard G. Buffett. This effort joins our foundation's historic support for conservation with our current focus on conflict mitigation in Africa, particularly in the Great Lakes region

The scale, complexity, and strategic value of this initiative is truly unprecedented for SANParks, and we believe will be transformative in our ongoing efforts to address poaching and the decimation of the rhino population in Kruger National Park, said SANParks CEO David Mabunda. More importantly, the lessons we hope to learn and share across SANParks and the continent will, we believe, develop new and more effective ways to combat illicit wildlife trade, particularly where it is financing armed groups.

The Leadership for Conservation in Africa (LCA), led by its South African-based CEO Chris Marais, will provide advisory and advocacy support for the collaboration. NCT and HGBF have a long history of support for conservation in Africa. NCT, with 100% of its funding provided by HGBF, created the Jubatus Cheetah Reserve in 2001 and the Ukulima Research Farm in 2007, both located in Limpopo Province, South Africa. Through its direct investments and support for NCT, HGBF has, prior to this announcement, committed over RAND 485 million (USD $45 million) in South Africa for a range of conservation and agriculture development activities including strengthening environmental governance; carnivore research in the Shashe/Limpopo Trans-Frontier Conservation region; preservation of natural resources; cheetah research and regional planning for cheetah conservation; development of agricultural strategies and production of improved seed for smallholder farmers. HGBF has committed an additional RAND 1.9 billion (USD $175 million) in support of its Africa Great Lakes Peace Initiative, which also includes funding for anti-poaching efforts designed to interrupt the capital flow to armed groups.

Issued by:
South African National Parks
Sawubona
Dalene

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 pm

ImageImageImageImage

I stand corrected Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

john n poppy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by john n poppy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 pm

:clap: :clap: , let's hope all countries and banks can follow suite
KTP August 2017..... my first visit :big_eyes:

Return to “Under the Ubuntu Tree”