Skip to Content

Old Kruger park Stories

Herman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What if it is 1956 today and you are in Kruger …

Unread post by Herman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 pm

Do you remember the replies Rooies ? They were window envelopes and one didn't even have to open the envelope to know the result - confirmed bookings were green and declined bookings were white :cry:

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:46 am

My first visit was in 1955, and I was only 7 at the time. We stayed in tents in Pretoriuskop.
Our old 1947 Pontiac gave us endless trouble on the trip up from the Cape, and we arrived 2 days late.
We did not see any elephants (much to my mother's relief) but we did see lion and wild dogs. (The largest animal we saw was the yellow grader :D )

Cannot remember much else except that us three boys marveled at the size and quantity of dung produced by the ellies :lol: (We were farm boys )
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:35 am

Billyf I think in those years a breakdown in Kruger resulted in a long wait for help to arrive. I think some motorists took spare parts with them to Kruger :) Herman I enjoyed your post. You have good Kruger memories. Rooies I think some of us still let out a silent scream when arriving at a Kruger gate: Yippee we are in Kruger !!! :D
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:45 am

In the 1950’s some might have experienced the following regarding the Kruger National Park (this is just for purposes of sharing some historical Kruger information):

1) During 1959, work commenced to completely fence the Park boundaries.
2) A Bull Shark, was caught at the confluence of the Limpopo and Luvuvhu Rivers in July 1950.
3)The National Parks Board launched its scientific journal which was called “Koedoe”,
4) Electricity was installed in 1951. Huts received luxury wash-basins with hot and cold water.
5) Biophysical Research started in the 1950’s in Skukuza.
6) Since the 1950’s twelve new lion prides became established in areas where artificial water points were provided in the central region.
7) In 1951 the book “Animals of the Kruger National Park” was published by Charles Thomas Astley Maberly.
8 ) Cythna Letty illustrated numerous books on botany such as the Botanical Survey Memoir “Trees and shrubs in the Kruger National Park” by L. E. W. Codd that was published in 1951.
9) In 1952, the Parks Board returned the Pafuri Game Reserve to Provincial control.
10) Johan ‘Madolo’ Kloppers started his career on the 1t August 1955 as a junior ranger at the Tshokwane section of the Kruger National Park. He was the driving force in the development of the first accurate official maps of the KNP.
11) In 1954 fire research formally began in the Kruger National Park with the establishment of an experiment to test the effects of fire on vegetation.
12) James Stevenson-Hamilton died on 10 December 1957.
13) In 1955, the number of visitors (101 058) exceeded 100 000 a year.
14) During 1957 the nest-building activities of two bird species, the spotted-back weaver and lesser masked weaver, threatened to destroy 51 large trees in Skukuza Rest Camp. To save these trees a total of 2,670 birds were destroyed from November 1957 to January 1958.
15) From A Rangers Diary of the Skukuza Section in December 1959: Christmas Day
“A quiet and orderly day. On patrol to Pretoriuskop saw a herd of nine roan, one was this season's calf, two last season's and the remaining adult animals. Also saw a lone sable bull at the Mhlanganene, this being very much east of their normal habitat. General duties”.

Sources: Kruger Books and Articles, this Sanparks Forum and Google.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:19 am

Thank you Grantmissy, this is so informative

I cannot imagine how it was back in the day, but from what I’ve read here I would prefer no other setting.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: KNP Dawn to Dusk Jan/Feb 2015

Inyati

Unread post by Inyati » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 am

Can we go back there now please... pretty please??? :dance: :dance: :dance:
I was certainly not around then, but I do remember early 80's the Rhino Boma's...
And I remember getting out at Thsokwane to be an "eventful" adventure...

Would love to give the Cell and Internet up for a few weeks...
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 am

Thankyou GM for this info, very interesting indeed :gflower:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Return to “History, Archeology and Culture”