Skip to Content

WILD CARD RENEWAL

Everything you need to know about the Wild Card program.
Porridge
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Re: Wildcard renewal

Unread post by Porridge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Carol is quite right, Merlin11. The confirmation letter is your saving grace.

I had a card without my name on it which was quite rudely denied a few years ago at a gate. The letter however, smoothed everything over and a phone call to Wildcard head office afterwards resulted in the proper card no problem.
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

Tired of wishing "you were there"? Try something different

2 -7 March 2017 - Cricket@Skuks

Merlin11

Unread post by Merlin11 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks Porridge, I have seen somewhere else on the forum that Wildcards without a name on were refused as well. I guess we just assumed that when we renewed our card a new one would automatically be sent to us. Although we aren't going until September we renewed it now so there would be plenty of time to get a new card through the post. But will print off the letter and take as well, just worry now about the roadworks! :thumbs_up:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 am

Merlin 11, it's a shame that you renewed your card now when you won't need it until September. It could be months and months before you actually receive the physical card -- if ever. The way the new system works, once you've been issued a card with your name on it, you MUST always retain that card. Apparently each time you renew, you get a new number, but that is then (eventually) "connected" to the original number on your card. Seems stupidly complicated to me :roll: the old Infinity system was SO much simpler AND gave you points that you could then use towards renewals (or other rewards).

Now the card itself is FAR more expensive and there are no "rewards", despite promises that such would be announced "soon" :roll: Thus, to maximise use of my card, I will only renew on line about a week before I will need it, since even if you renew well in advance, you'll still be using that confirmation letter because your card invariably will NOT have arrived :roll:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Merlin11

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Arks, we only renewed it now because we knew the card takes ages to arrive and we thought that we would be sent a new card and we were allowing time for it to arrive before September!

Still not sure about having a card without our name on but we will take our confirmation letter and sort it out when we get there if we need to, can't wait :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Merlin I do hope you come right..............as advised by others always carry that confirmation letter. :thumbs_up:
Hope you have a wonderful trip. :dance:

Just as a matter of interest we had HUGE problems with our Infinity wild card!!!! Somehow they got my SO mixed up with a South African man, and he was given all our personal details and our reward points!!! We were just lucky that he was honest, and contacted us to alert us!!! Long story short, it was rectified temporarily, but happened two or three times after that. :wall: :wall: I found them very unhelpful when we contacted them.

I was very relieved when SANParks got it's own card!!! :clap:

Merlin11

Unread post by Merlin11 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Ah Crested Val, hope we don't have those issues! I'm not sure which system our card was issued under but, touch wood we haven't had any issues before now. It's just not having our name on the card that concerns me but we will take our confirmation letter as everyone is kindly suggesting :thumbs_up:

I've seen that you will not be going again for a while, that's a shame as we have learnt so much from your trip reports, thank you :D

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 am

Hi Merlin11,

If you'd like to PM me your WC number and renewal number I'll get someone at Wild Card to confirm your card status and try to find out what happened to your named card.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

fee

Unread post by fee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:54 pm

My card doesn't have a name on it either, and was told they stopped putting names on some time ago.
I haven't experienced any problems with it just having a number on,, and have visited a number of times since October.

When you renew your card, you keep the same card and number - no need to receive a new one.

watershed

Unread post by watershed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:35 pm

The last time we renewed our WC it was a bit of a hassle trying to find the office in Capetown. I never did receive an actual card.
This year I renewed the card online , got an email saying I would receive the card within 30 days and I did!! I now have a new Wild Card, no name, just a chip and I have also received my first newsletter with lots of information on the various parks, including great photos of rangers rescuing a baby elephant from a water hole in Addo.
Thank you, SanParks, I am just delighted.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 pm

As long as there is not Infinity written on your Wild card it should be fine to use. My new Wild card has my name on, but I must say have received it in 2011 already.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:20 pm

This afternoon I renewed my Wild Card by phoning Reservation House and speaking to my usual consultant. I paid by credit card and she said Pretoria would be sending the confirmation e-mail. Well, almost as soon as I finished the phone call, the confirmation e-mail arrived from the Pretoria office!!

So, people, it can work and I hope you all get sorted out soon.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Unfortunately, those of us living overseas and in far-flung time zones don't have the advantages of a quick (and inexpensive) phone call. For me this would be both costly and likely also time consuming, especially as I don't have a "usual consultant". I'm assuming that you're referring to the person who ordinarily handles you accommodation bookings? Since when can SANParks reservations also handle WildCard renewals? Or was this done as a personal service for you by your "usual consultant"? :hmz:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:57 pm

I think Hippotragus was only trying to help, Arks and doubt that she has her own personal consultant.

I have no idea if SANParks reservations also handle WildCard renewals, but this might be so :hmz:
Will ask about this and am sure Saraf :gflower: will follow up on this too.
aquila non capit muscas

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Hippotragus wrote:This afternoon I renewed my Wild Card by phoning Reservation House and speaking to my usual consultant. I paid by credit card and she said Pretoria would be sending the confirmation e-mail. Well, almost as soon as I finished the phone call, the confirmation e-mail arrived from the Pretoria office!!

So, people, it can work and I hope you all get sorted out soon.

You're lucky Hippotragus, I'm still waiting for my letter after phoning 3 times to ask for it :doh:
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:27 am

MATTHYS wrote:I think Hippotragus was only trying to help, Arks and doubt that she has her own personal consultant.
I was quoting the specific term that Hippotragus used .... "usual consultant" certainly implies an agent with whom one has established an ongoing relationship?

MATTHYS wrote:I have no idea if SANParks reservations also handle WildCard renewals, but this might be so :hmz:
Will ask about this and am sure Saraf :gflower: will follow up on this too.
Yes. that would be interesting to know.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Return to “Wild Card”