Skip to Content

Teleconverters/extenders

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Mavusana

2x Converter or Telephoto Lens

Unread post by Mavusana » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:12 am

I've been shopping around looking for "thee" lens that will capture what I see, the way I want it and impressive. But it seems that the more I shop the more I get really confused with the sales people, some suggest converters although I'll loose 2 f-stops, on the other hand some say buy the sigma 150-500mm or telephoto lens 600mm.

I know and trust you forumites will come with the better solution. Converter or Telephoto lens?? I've seen beautiful pics in this forum, of running/flying animals but clear as crystal and that's my kind of pics I like. some are as close as if the photographer was 1meter away from the animal.
A Dream becomes a goal when you attach a time frame to it.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: 2x Converter or Telephoto Lens

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:25 am

You should take the more expensive option....

And there are reasons of course:
A 2x converter does indeed take two stops of light. That in itself isn't too bad, but you run into a little problem then, no autofocus!
Almost all cameras will stop with AF above f/5.6, so unless you have a f/2.8 telelens yours will be manual focus only, at two stops slower shutterspeeds.

A second problem is image quality. It does degrade, unless you buy the top of the bill ones.
Personally I use a 1.4 extender only (and yes, on my camera it'll be manual focus only), and as it's a good brand (Canon) I can not see it in my photos.

There are converters that don't tell the camera it's there, like Kelko's, but the hit in image quality makes them less usable.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:52 am

Hi Mavusana.

I have been doing photography since about 1958.
I still have a Pentax Spotmatic and a Pentax K1000 with these I used a Bruno Werth lens with extension rings, unfortunately it was stolen, as well as a Polaris f4.5, 7 - 230 mm zoom lens with this I used a Pentax 2x converter and took wonderfull colour slides and photographs.

I now have a Nikon D1 and a Nikon D50 with Nikor lenses 18 - 55 mm and a 70 - 300 mm zoom lens. Together with this I have a Sigma 150 - 500 mm zoom lens and I also use a 2 x converter with these lenses. With digital photgraphy I have noticed a quality reduction when using the converter but not much, you will lose two f stops but that can be compensated for by increasing your ISO settings on your camera. By doing this you will increase the grain on your photograph but not as much as it was with film photography.

Please always remember that a telephoto lens enlarges the image before taking the shot but again this cannot be done infinitely. Most of the bird shots you see have not been taken with the object far away, they were still relatively nearby and then the shot was taken after much patience had been spent.

When doing wildlife photography our rule is set your camera at as low an fstop as possible and then on aperture priority, the camera will select the correct shutter speed for the shot.

Also another simple rule rather over expose a shot slightly as this can be corrected when editing the shot without risk of increasing noise, should you underexpose you will always increase noise white brightening up the shot. I always take at least two photographs of my object, one with the suggested shutter speed and one with the next slower shutter speed in other words I set my bracketting accordingly.

We have had great success with with what I have mentioned above.

Furthermore when purchasing a lens get a zoom lens, they are much more suited to wildlife photography, also save a bit longer and purchase one with "vibration reduction" and auto focus this helps a lot, most poor photos are due to camera shake, use a bean bag resing on a wall or a car window for thye stability of the camera and lens.

A bit of advice - do not buy something now what you really need, if you cannot afford it yet, rather save a little while longer and get the best for your requirement as buying now and improving later is not good economics.

Very often you can get a very good quality second hand lens at a reasonable price, check it yourself let it be checked by a reputable person, if necessary have it serviced by an institution that is qualified to do so and enjoy your photography. :) :) We will be looking forward to your shots in future. Also remember practise makes perfect and also that not every shot is the ultimate if you get more than 15% real good shots - you will be doing extremely well.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 am

Nicely put gmlsmit
I used a 1.4 converter on a Canon 300 mm 4.0 L lens
Made a few tests at Lake Panic some years back
And the same bird without the converter
The image is still great but misses the sharpness and crispness
So i believe in not using the converters, unless you have a prime lens of top quality.
Read through many tests this weekend for the Sigma 150-500. Friend of mine thinks of buying one. And with all Sigma zoom lenses the conclusion is that at the biggest reach (500 or with the 120-400 at 400mm) the sharpness is the worst.
Not bad but will show if you decide to make a poster.
So if you use a converter it will show at the biggest reach.

And i use Adobe Lightroom and it has a great tool. Adjusting noise in the color and luminous (white) sections of the image. Works great. Tested it on snow images.

With photo editing in Lightroom for eg you can adjust the sharpness, so some corrections are possible :thumbs_up:

btw, the Sigma scored great, but always with the remark price versus quality.
The Canon 100-400 did better, but then that one is much more expensive, so should be better

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I use a 2x Kenko t/c on my 80-200mm F2.8 I don't have autofocus issues. I think I get better quality than using a Sigma 150-500mm (not had a good chance to compare shots yet).

Duques, bert, should we start a new thread in the Camera Club forum to discuss under and over exposing?
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wingman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm

to see the effect of the converters take a look at the 400mm shootout listed on www.ejphoto.com it is interesting to see the result of this dollar test.

Massimo

Kenko Teleplus MC-7 "DG" 2x AF Teleconverter HELP

Unread post by Massimo » Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi guys!

Im going to Kruger in June and i really would like to buy a lens but i really have no money to do so! I have the standard lens for my Canon. i got the Canon EOS 450D + EF-S 18-55mm IS + EF-S 55-250mm IS lens!

Now i see that there is a second hand teleconverter for sale! It says this

"Kenko AF 2x Teleplus MC7 DG for Canon is a nice and cheap way to double your zoom power and it won’t cost you thousands. Turns your 200mm into a 400mm lens… Used 5 times max!"

can any1 help me please what must i look out for is this any good etc etc.. your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Kind Regards
Massimo
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

michel367

Re: Kenko Teleplus MC-7 "DG" 2x AF Teleconverter HELP

Unread post by michel367 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:54 pm

What F- factors does your lenses have Massimo?

Massimo

Unread post by Massimo » Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

michel367

Unread post by michel367 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Then you will have a problem with your Auto Focus not working correctly.

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Mon May 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Massimo,
I use Nikon and have a Kenko Mc7 2X. Used it in KNP last year and worked wonders with my 80-400 mm zoom lens.
Here's an example of a very long shot with it mounted.
Had no particular problem except that it felt a little loose and not firmly blocked between lens and camera. Another small detail, it does not show on your meta data so if you use it on a 400 mm it shows as 400 and not 800 mm.

This one was miles away, Mike you remember the spot??
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Help please, which camera and lens to buy?

Unread post by DuQues » Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 am

In Kruger, KTP etc you won't have hand-held shots.... It's all from the beanbag of course. ;)

Sigma 18-250 f3.5 - f6.3 + 2x TC. :hmz:
You'd get a f/8 - f/11 non-AF lens, meaning you need a lot of light to get the shutterspeeds you need.
And that's with a lesser image quality, as the TC will degrade it, and enlarge the faults in your lens.

I'd rather not.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Shidzidzii
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Shidzidzii » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks DQ .
I agree many shots you can use a bean bag especialy in the vehicle . But I also like to put on the knee-pads and snap the insects , snails and flowers even with close-up attachments . Sure there is a fall-off in quality many times but the moment is captured . And birds in tree don't wait for you to set up a bean bag - that's why I want to try a monopod with a swivel head.

I see a 2x teleconverter in the same way as digiscoping - it's not perfect but it extends your range (economicaly) .

What I realy need to establish is that the TC 's electronics are compatable with the Sigma lens' electronics and that they will not damage each other ?
Also that the exposure metering will be functional ?
I can live with manual focus as these will be long shots with time to focus .

In 1980 I used a 75-275 mm Sigma zoom with 2(two) by 2X teleconverters on a tripod wedged between the car seat and door and a remote release .
The viewfinder was darkened a lot even making focus difficult but I got some memorable shots and enjoyment .

michel367

Unread post by michel367 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:13 pm

I have the Nikon D70S and a Sigma 70 - 300D F 1: 4.0 - 5.6 APO DG

Will I lose 2 stops too and my AF if I attache a Sigma 1.4 TC too it?

Sky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sky » Thu May 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi

Have to agree with DuQues. Going back to manual focus and losing 2 fstops is not on.
As for the monopod idea - I use mine all the time and it works for me. If you look at the action shots thread the pics I took of the lion catching an impala was taken with a Sigma 175 - 500 and the camera on the monopod. This lense got damaged and I had to replace it. Replaced it with a Canon 100 - 400 , Miss the extra 100 but enjoy the better picture quality. The shots of the leopard was taken out of hand in bad light conditions.

I know that Canon teleconvertors only work on the top off the range cameras and lenses. Way out of my budget
25 December - Lower Sabie
26 - 31st satara
1 Jan 2016 Skukuza

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”