Teleconverters/extenders

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: adding 2 x convertor and micro lens to my kit

Unread post by oddesy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi Luma and welcome :D :D

I would not add a teleconverter to either just because of the fact that the image quality and sharpness might decrease quite substantially and the autofocus will also be alot slower. But if you are fine with manual focus and dont worry too much over the IQ then you could always try it. maybe go to your local camera shop and test it out on your camera? :D
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:56 pm

With your camera you already have the equivalent of 750mm lens. If you really need more I would not go above a 1.4 convertor.

Unless you are into small bird photography using very powerful lenses in the Kruger (or similar) is usually pointless. Too much dust and heat haze ruin long distance photos!

There are three ways of getting good macro photos. Firstly buy a proper macro lens, and preferably 100mm or longer so that you can be a reasonable distance away from the insect. This is also the most expensive route! But is the best; optics specially designed for macro work.

Secondly, if you have a very good lens which does not focus close enough, buy some extension rings. I occasionally do this with my Canon 70 - 200 and it works really well. Cheap too.

Thirdly buy an add-on close up lens - fits like a filter. Again enables lenses to focus closer and can be very effective. But not so easy to come by. DQ swears by a Canon one but I have never been able to get hold of one. No longer made so e-bay and similar are your best bet. Sigma also used to make one. May also need adaptor rings to fit your lens.

Richard

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Luma and welcome!

The Bigma is a lens that goes to f/5.6, so adding a 1.4 or 2.0 TC to it will mean that your camera will tell you to focus manually. Unless you have a really good camera, all will stop AF above f/5.6.
And image quality will degrade a lot on that lens...
So really forget about using one, for birds you're better off cropping when you get home, and other animals... Well, try to get closer! ;) Learn what they will do, where they will pass. 500 mm should always be enough...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

KGB

Converters & Extenders

Unread post by KGB » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi,

I have recently bouight my first dslr camera (the canon 450d) and the sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens. I used a panasonic fz50 before and thought it was time to take the plunge (so to speak).
I just need some general advice on converters (is it worth getting converters 1.4x EX DG APO or 2x EX DG APO Tele Converters produce a 210-700mm F7-9 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens or a 300-1000mm F10-13 MF ultra-telephoto zoom lens respectively) - , and a macro lens for the setup - mostly insects, flowers etc), or what else would be recomended to start a fairly complete wildlife photography setup.
Here are some examples of some of the shots I have taken (from both camera's)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24469970@N08/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Starting out

Unread post by richardharris » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Its been said several times before - if you really need a convertor, go for the 1.4. 2x loses quality and light. Remember two things; you already have an effective 1.6x because of sensor size, and both convertors will lose autofocus with your camera/lens combo.

Do you really need such a powerful lens? Very hard to get good photos from a 1000mm; dust and heat haze become real issues, as does holding it steady! Useful if you want to photograph small birds that are fairly close.

I would spend the money on a good macro lens and possibly a ring flash.

Richard

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Starting out

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm

As Richard says, I would not go for any teleconverter. You obviously know you'll loose autofocus, but not only that, teleconverters also point out the flaws in your lens. And frankly, Sigma isn't the top quality you can get, so...

500 mm should in most cases be enough, unless you are birding. If not, it's quite simple, you are too far away, and either need to wait till the animal approaches, or just sit back and enjoy the sighting.

For insects and such a 100 mm macro is the lens to go for! That is if money and travel weight isn't too big an issue. If it is you might want to have a look at the Canon 500D, which is a close-up lens you screw onto a lens like a filter. Not real macro, but really handy.

Just in case, my 'long' lense is the Canon 100-400.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bazzlewazzle

Prime Lenses + converters (canon 40D)

Unread post by bazzlewazzle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:09 am

Hi all

I'm really looking for an (affordable) option for some more reach, I don't completely undrestand when I will lose auto focus with my 40D. I have a 2xTC and am thinking about getting a prime lens 300 or 400mm to put it on. eg. 300mm f4; 400mm f5.6

Would either of these work with TC's?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
"It's a terrible thing,... in life to wait until you're ready.... no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There's only now & you may as well do it now. ..., now is as good a time as any." Hugh Laurie

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Prime Lenses + converters (canon 40D)

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 am

Easy answer, your camera has AF up to f/5.6.
A 1.4 TC will cost you 1 stop of light, the 2.0 two stops.
So a 300 f/2.8 can be used with both, a 500 f/4 will only keep AF with the 1.4, and lose it with the 2.0 (f/8).

Now if you were to buy a camera of the 1 series... They have AF up to f/8....

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johann » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:34 am

Just to add a little bit to what DQ said:
The 300mm f/4 will become f/8 and the 400mm f/5.6 will become f/11 according to Canon's lens chart, which means no autofocus for either of them on a 40D. Even with a 1-series camera you would only have autofocus with the center focusing point.
If you can't get a different camera you would have to get lenses of f/2.8 or better for autofocus on the 40D.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 am

When you say that you have a 2x converter do you mean that you have a 3rd party converter or the Canon 2x converter?

I own both the Canon 1.4x and 2x converter and I find that I don't use the 2x converter a lot on my 300 f/2.8 or 500 f/4 because in my opinion the 2x converter degrades the images quality too much. Images get a bit soft and they lose contrast. I will use it when necessary, but I tend to avoid it. The 1.4x converter I use without even thinking about it as it hardly degrades the image quality. I use the Canon converters which are expensive, but also high quality. If you use a 3rd party converter then loss of image quality might even be more pronounced. Have you tried your converter on a prime lens?

If you're buying a non-Canon prime then you'll need a non-Canon converter because the Canon converters are designed specifically for Canon lenses.

M.

Neil Crawford

Unread post by Neil Crawford » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 am

I use a Canon 40D with 400/5.6 and non-reporting 1.4x converter. Autofocus works very well, even for birds in flight. The 2x converter never worked well with the 300D, but even that autofocuses with the 40D.
The 40D has much better autofocus than the old camera, and so long as it doesn't know there is a teleconverter on, it will do a very good job. So it's important to get a non-reporting converter like Tamron or tape the connecting pins. I rarely take off the tele-converter as I always need the extra reach. Most of the bird photos on our flickr site are taken with the
old Canon 300D, 400/5.6 and and Tamron 1.4X teleconverter (and autofocus)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22594688@N08/
/Neil

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Might I add that the 1D series only auto focusses upto f/8 on the "MIDDLE" focus point and not all of them. So be careful of that...

Your best solution for the 2X converter is also the most expensive and that would be the 300 f/2.8
But then you have the absolute PRIME of wildlife lenses :dance:

Stehan.f

Help with tele converter canon eos 400d sigma 100 2.8 macro

Unread post by Stehan.f » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi Guys,

first of all thanks for the enthusiastic forum, I'm looking forward to visit KNP!!! :lol:

This is my first post in forum and I've already read lots of threads, but somehow none about using tele converters. Hope not to post this topic for second or even more time.

I'm not sure if there's an advantage to use an teleconverter for my EOS 400d. :cam:

I got following lenses:

Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6 - very old one, no IS, but still works fine
Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8
Canon 28-80mm f3.5-5.6

I intend to use all lenses with polarizing filters, beanbag as "tripod"

Who can recommend (and why?) using a teleconverter additional to above lenses?

Hope my English is sufficient to understand, didn't speak English for a long time...

Thanks for your answers in advance. 8)

Stehan.f

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Help with tele converter canon eos 400d sigma 100 2.8 macro

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi Stehan, and welcome to the forums! :yaya:

In short, you can use teleconverters as much as you like, but... !
Teleconverters cost you a stop. And if you use a 2.0 teleconverter they cost you a stop more.
That's not really important, but what is important is that your camera will stop using Autofocus at f/5.6.....

So on your Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6 (f/5.6 + 1 stop is f/8, = No AF!) it wil revert to manual focus.
The Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 however, plus 1 stop = f/4 will work perfectly, even with a 2x converter. (f/5.6)

The 300 mm will however be enough in Kruger, in most cases. Unless you start birding that is...
My longest lens is the 100-400, and except for birding I never had trouble with that lenght. Well, you always want more, but still...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Help with tele converter canon eos 400d sigma 100 2.8 macro

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Macro is macro, and the macrolens is will serve you very well at landscape photography. I'm not sure what it'll do at longer distances though.

But I'm sure if that baboon or lion will let you near enough to make a photo of the cavities in their teeth... Would be nice photos, but I'm I'd not like taking them! ;)

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”