Skip to Content

Satara Rest Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 am

U could expect sunsets like these at Satara.

Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:58 am

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Satara

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 am

Satara:
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:03 pm

This pic was taken from inside the camp of the new day visitors area presently being built.

This one was taken from the road leading into the camp. The building is on one's left approaching the camp.
Sawubona
Dalene

Fizzpop
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: satara

Unread post by Fizzpop » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:30 am

The pool was completed and landscaped just before Mid December 05. It is now "settled" and really a welcome addition to the camp. It is located in the area between where reception was and the petrol station. Further upgrades and to the entrance and Day Visitors area were done.
You will not believe the camp is the same when you see it from the road before entering!

My only small gripe is the Pool is set a fair distance from the Camping Ground area, as i can only afford to camp at Satara with my family.... no "budget family accommodation"!
[b]"Some are Guilty, but we are all Responsible"
KNP 12 March to 23 March 2016, Malelane / Tamboti)
KNP 16 May to 22 May 2016, Croc Bridge/ Biyamiti/ PKop)

Jumbo

Unread post by Jumbo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 am

Perimeter bungalows at Satara - BD2V

Unit # 167

Unit # 179

Again of Zebra – she makes a nice photo :D

Barbara
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Barbara » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 pm

We stayed in Hut no 161 at Satara for eight fantastic nights on our last visit. It was wonderful just sitting on the stoop at night listening to the lions roaring. A spotted hyaena walked past along the fence nearly every night! you could hear it approaching and we would wait expectantly for it to pass our hut, Magic! We did enjoy having a perimiter hut it was so private and you were not overlooked.

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gwendolen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 am

The plaque in the background.

Obelix
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Obelix » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 pm

New swimming pool at Satara:

katydownunder

Unread post by katydownunder » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:56 am

Hi I just stumbled over this topic.
I think the new entrance gate is indeed ugly.DB described it's location quite well .
The day visitors area with no large trees looks sterile,not very comfortable as nightjar remarked especially during the hot summer months.The whole area reminded us of some kind of building site.

Here is the new gate:

And this is how the old gate looks at the moment:

The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

KNP Spokesman
Guru
Guru

Long term planning

Unread post by KNP Spokesman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:44 am

Hi Forumites

Here is the classic situation of where I believe the forum plays an important role in the development and improvement of the KNP in general.

Having read this thread, I approached our Technical Services Department and asked what the plan was regarding Satara Camp Gate. I used the fact that our forum members were saying that the old gate added considerable ambiance to the camp and that you felt that ambiance might be lost if the new gate didn't have the atmosphere of the old gate.

I have since been told that it is definitely in the long term planning that we will try and give the new gate as much of the old gate's ambiance as we can. However, as the camp's other facilities need attention at the moment, our priorities are to fix the camp first before this can be done.

I think the forumites who raised this issue should give themselves a pat on the back! Personally, I am constantly amazed at what the forum achieves, both actively via projects like Duke Quest and passively by words of encouragement, advice and constructive feedback. This can only make our beloved Kruger even better.

Kind regards
KNP Spokesman
Kruger National Park
110 Years of Conservation Success - Now isn't that worthy of a Celebration!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Thinking, just thinking.

Thing is, these gates are not just gates. They speak to us in many ways. They carry our memories. They allow us to feel secure and happy.
If you look at the postings on this thread, you have to say, they are all mad. Kruger mad. Gates are not gates, they are a symbol of a passion for the wild. Why else would we even have this thread about a very small pathetic gate?

As we go out they breathe in our hopes and expectations. As we come in, they carry our memories.

There are many changes, and believe me I support them. Yet we need to be a part of the change.

What I am saying, if the gates need to be moved, if you need man/woman power, we are there.

I would sleep on the floor.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:46 am

Here are the pics as things stand at present, so we can plan our strategies for the relocation. :whistle: :lol:

Old gate.

New gate and entrance. (lets hope for not too long)

vos

Unread post by vos » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:36 am

The old gate has been moved and installed at the new entrance and is proudly standing guard again. The temporary gates are still in front of the wooden gates but are only hanging on a thread! I am sure the camp name will still be done and hopefully it will soon have the character of the old entrance.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm

guepard wrote:I have just booked 4 days in Feb in the Wells Guest House and and a Guest Cottage. Can any one of you friendly people tell me if they are far apart?
I know the Wells House is next to the A circle closer to the reception area. No idea where the guest cottages are.

Hi Guepard, if you have a look at the map here you might be able to get some idea of what the layout of the camp looks like, bearing in mind the entrance gate has moved, but does not affect the layout any.
Hope this helps. :D

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”